Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

What is the chemical formula of nitro?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

What is the chemical formula of nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 07:44 AM
dbcool20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the chemical formula of nitro?

hey everybody,
does anyone know the chemical formula of nitro, like H2O for water etc... If you know it please let me know.

db
Old 11-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Chinooker

Default RE: What is the chemical formula of nitro?

CH3NO2

The 2 oxygen atoms per molecule of nitromethane allows more glow fuel to be combusted, thus increasing power. Nitro is like a liquid supercharger or turbocharger.

How to synthesize Nitronmethane (I wouldn't bother with it)

Prepare a mixture of 500 g of chloroacetic acid and 500 g of crushed ice in a large beaker. Add to this enough cold 40% sodium hydroxide solution to neutralize the acid and make the pH of the solution slightly alkaline, about 360 mL should suffice. Do not allow the temperature to rise above 20 °C while adding the hydroxide, failing to do so will cause unwanted sodium glycolate to form. Prepare a solution of 365 g of sodium nitrite in 500 mL of water. Add this solution to the previous solution in a round bottom 3-L Florence flask.
Set the flask up for simple distillation with the thermometer dipping into the liquid (yes, in the liquid, not at the condenser opening like it usually is). Keep the receiving flask cold with an ice water bath. Gently heat the solution until bubbles of carbon dioxide are evolved, this should happen at around 80 °C. Remove the heat as the reaction should proceed spontaneously, it should rise to around 100 °C while the nitromethane/water azeotrope distills over at 90 °C. If the temperature does not rise on its own, gently heat the flask to 85°C until it does. At this temperature the exothermic decomposition of the reactants becomes so rapid that continued application of heat might cause violent frothing, with significant loss of nitromethane. After the reaction subsides to 95-100°C, cautiously heat the flask to 110 °C, stop when no more nitromethane distills over.
This should make about 130 mL of nitromethane with 370 mL of water, they should form separate layers. Place the layers into a separatory funnel and allow them to stand for 30 minutes, afterwards drain off the lower layer of nitromethane. The water layer is mixed with one fourth its weight of salt and distilled to give another 10-12 mL of nitromethane. Add this to the nitromethane already distilled. The crude nitromethane is dried over anhydrous calcium chloride in a desiccator and redistilled to give 115-125 mL of pure nitromethane.
Yield is about 38%. The yield can be improved slightly by using 625 g of chloroacetic acid and 450 mL of 40% sodium hydroxide solution. Another increase in yield can be achieved by adding 374 g of boric acid after adding the sodium nitrite solution, but before doing any heating. You can use a smaller flask and do several distillations if you do not have a 3-L flask, just remember to never fill it more than two-thirds of the way.

Personally, its easier to buy the stuff by the gallon. However, be warned that you may draw unwanted attention to yourself since nitromethane was used by the OKC bomber-added to his fertilizer/diesel fuel bomb that did so much damage.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:36 AM
dbcool20

hey thanks a lot for the formula. where did you find all that information?
anyway dont worry i m not gonna make bombs, but in india i really have no clue where to find nitro for my car, so then i thought if i knew the chemical formula, then i could ask a chemical supplies shop for it.

thanks a lot.

db
Old 11-10-2003, 05:44 AM
dbcool20

is nitormethane the same as nitrobenzene?
Old 11-15-2003, 01:53 PM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

NO NO NO Nitrobenzene carbon is a 6 carbon aromatic hydrocarbon molecule(benzene) Nitromethane carbon is a single c arbon molecule.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 AM
MildredRiley

The chemical formula for nitro is CH3NO2. #Chinooker your answer is good, too detailed and to the point.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

Yes it is ch3no2....the o being the oxygen it makes while burning that's why it's so powerful...... Ron