Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

0% Nitro Fuel, Homebrew Questions

Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

0% Nitro Fuel, Homebrew Questions

Old 12-22-2003, 03:52 PM
FlyNBHappy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0% Nitro Fuel, Homebrew Questions

After reading all the posts about 0% nitro fuel, I've decided to buy some commercial fuel (Omega FAI @ $8/gal) and also mixing my own (80% methanol / 1 gal, 20% Bakers castor oil / 1qt, about $8.50 for 1.25 gal). Before this, I was using Byron's 10% & 15% fuel ($13-$15/gal). I was pleasantly surprised to find the Omega FAI fuel runs fine in all my engines (Enya, TT, Tower). I did have to lean the high & low side to keep it running smoothly. The engine runs perfect at idle and full throttle.

questions:

1) My mid-range (about 1/2 throttle) seems to burble & stumble with my home brew. Not as bad with the Omega FAI. Would the addition of acetone (about 5%) helps the hesitation?

2) I'm currently using Tower glow plugs in all engines, which I believe is a medium-heat plugs. Would changing to a hotter plug helps? Any suggestions for a better-hotter glow plug?

3) The Omega FAI is 17% oil (70% synthetic, 30% castor). The residue coming out of the muffler is clear to lightly brown. My home-brew is 20% oil (100% castor). The residue with the home brew is dark brown to dark gray. Is this normal? I've read that grayish color out of the muffler is not good (metal parts rubbing). Should I increase the castor oil content to 25%?

I'm definitely sold on using 0% fuel from now (especially the savings of $7/gal).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:26 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 0% Nitro Fuel, Homebrew Questions

About 3% acetone should be all you need if you want to try it but first I'd try a hotter plug like an Enya #3 or an OS A3. Anytime you change fuels or plugs you should check the tune of the engine. You shouldn't have to go up to 25% castor because the 20% is lubricating better than the Omega anyway. I suspect the grey residue is from a loose muffler.