Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Proper Mixing procedures

Old 03-31-2004, 07:48 PM
Parkerm
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Mixing procedures

I have all the ingredients, now I want to mix small test batches for my various engines. I was looking at buying a 500ml graduated cylinder to mix in. The pyrex would be clearest, but I know I'll break it. Some plastics will cloud if some chemicals are used. Will polypropylene stand up to methanol and nitro without clouding?
Old 04-01-2004, 05:24 AM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: Proper Mixing procedures

Yes, regular plastic measuring vessels are quite fuel-proof.

The big problem with them however, is that they're often not very accurate.

When I went shopping for such things I found that all the ones I looked at were slightly tapered -- yet the graduations were all evenly spaced and the bottom was slightly domed upwards.

Sure enough, when I filled the measuring cup to the 200ml mark (the second graduation), poured its contents into another cup until it showed 100ml left (the first graduation -- which should have meant that the second cup now also had 100ml) -- empting the measuring cup and pouring the contents of the second cup back into it showed that the calibration was way-out.

According to the measuring cup, the 100ml I'd poured out (the difference between 100ml and 200ml) was now about 115ml, because the taper and domed bottom were obviously causing the linear graduations to be wrong.

So, look for a measuring cup with *straight* sides and a flat bottom.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Waco Driver

I use a 1000 ml glass laboratory graduate which was given to me over 40 years ago. It has parallel sides and I find it excellent for getting exact mixes. 1000 ml is just the right amount for experimental purposes.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:52 AM
NitroWoman

I use the 1000ml polypropelene cylinder. It is accurate and has been standing up to fuel for years. [link]http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=10091&parent_id=570[/link][8D]
Old 04-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Parkerm
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks all...just what I needed to know