Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Commercial Fuel Mixtures

Old 04-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Thumper1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Commercial Fuel Mixtures

Do commercial fuel manufacturers mix fuel by volume, or weight? I was told that most of them mix by weight no matter what they tell you. When you buy a gallon on 10% Nitro fuel, what you are really getting is something closer to 7%. Has anyone done any research on this? I sent an Email to Powermaster, so far, no response.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:13 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Commercial Fuel Mixtures

Some, well one at least, mixes by weight but the important thing isn't that you're getting shortchanged on nitro but you're getting shortchanged on the oil content. Oil is roughly the same density as water (1) while methanol is about .8 so if a manufacturer mixes by weight and tells you it's got 17% oil then actually it's nearer 14%, that's BAD!

Some guys have run tests on fuels by either burning off or evaporating out the methanol/nitro and checking to see how much oil remains. One brand sold as 17% oil has only 14% (I can't remember the exact brand but it sounds something like Cruel Power ). There's a current thread on this exact same thing at http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dcforu...mID1/8863.html
Old 04-23-2004, 06:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

You are getting shortchanged on nitro more than oil. Nitro is heavier than water!
Old 04-23-2004, 09:42 PM
downunder

Sport_Pilot....granted, but try this test. Run an engine with zero nitro then run an engine with zero oil. Which ingredient is more important?
Old 04-25-2004, 11:36 AM
POWERMASTER

Thumper1,
Can't speak for other manfacturers but Powermaster uses volumn measurment
in our fuel mixes.
Powermaster

ORIGINAL: Thumper1

Do commercial fuel manufacturers mix fuel by volume, or weight? I was told that most of them mix by weight no matter what they tell you. When you buy a gallon on 10% Nitro fuel, what you are really getting is something closer to 7%. Has anyone done any research on this? I sent an Email to Powermaster, so far, no response.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Morgan Fuels: Volume
Wildcat: Volume
Powermaster: Volume
Sig: Volume

BYRONS: WEIGHT
Old 04-25-2004, 06:35 PM
hauckf

What Homebrewer said, plus Cooper's, S&W, and Red Max are by volume as well.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Thumper1

I knew a guy who worked for one of the major fuel component manufacturers. He told me that there are a number of manufacturers who CLAIM that they mix by volume, but in fact, they mix by WEIGHT. (This was a few years ago) He said to put a known quantity of fuel in a shallow glass pan and let it evaporate in a well ventilated area for a few days. While this process will not tell the percentage of Nitro, it will tell you how much oil is in the fuel. For a time, I was mixing my own fuel. I used 10% Nitro, 16% Synthetic and 2% Castor oil with the balance Drag Racing grade VP Methanol. Compared to the Byron fuel I was using, I was getting a LOT more RPM, and a lot more smoke. My LHS changed ownership. The new guy dropped fuel prices along with everything else and I decided to support him. Fuel expenses is just another cost of the hobby. When you are paying for one thing, and getting something else, that's a problem.