Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Castor Oil grades.

Old 05-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Castor Oil grades.

Anyone know about this? I know of Bakers grade A and grade AA grade AA is filtered or filtered better. Grade A may be greenish in color from the plant solids in the oil. AA is simply pressed and filtered. AA is what we are supposed to use. FDA is tested for any traces of Ricin a highly toxic poison. That is about all I know of. Sometimes castor oil is listed a blown, that is when hot air is bubbled through it to oxidize some of it, this thickens the oil. Yet many fuel and oil manufactures say thier oils is degummed. I know nothing of any such procedure. If so it must not work well as all castor oil will gum up if it sits out too long.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:11 PM
oldtimer2
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Castor Oil grades.

Try Klotzlube.com, They sell BeNol Racing castor. It is degummed and fortified. Mixes with gasoline or methanol.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:42 PM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

If you buy it from a drugstore, you will get AAA, suitable for internal use, but overkill for fuel (unless you plan to drink it!). Jim
Old 05-11-2005, 10:17 PM
downunder

From what I understand, the castor bean is pressed to squeeze the oil out of it and then filtered so you don't have any of those nasty ricin solids. This is then called an AA grade and also indicates degummed. AFAIK there's no seperate degumming process. So an AA grade is the purest (highest quality) lubricating oil.

But pressing only extracts about 70% of the oil from the bean. The remainder can only be recovered by subjecting the bean to chemical processes to leach (or whatever the techo term might be) the oil out. This oil contains the chemicals used in extraction which can't be entirely removed so these chemicals end up in your lubricating oil. Chemical extraction seems to be limited to Asian countries but the ~30% extra volume means they can sell it cheaper. For what it's worth, it seems that this type of cheap oil shows up in our fuels if you get white flakes on very cold days.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:48 PM
RC-Captain

But pressing only extracts about 70% of the oil from the bean. The remainder can only be recovered by subjecting the bean to chemical processes to leach (or whatever the techo term might be) the oil out. This oil contains the chemicals used in extraction which can't be entirely removed so these chemicals end up in your lubricating oil. Chemical extraction seems to be limited to Asian countries but the ~30% extra volume means they can sell it cheaper. For what it's worth, it seems that this type of cheap oil shows up in our fuels if you get white flakes on very cold days.
Is anybody else not buying this ?
Old 05-13-2005, 04:02 AM
downunder

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND
Is anybody else not buying this ?
http://www.campbell-uv.com/castor.html
If I thought you cared I'd go find the post in SSW where the oil that had white flakes was found to have xylene present. But you don't so I won't
Old 05-13-2005, 08:32 PM
mentorman
My Feedback: (2)

I buy it, since I dont know a damn thing about the process, it sounds good to me. :-))
Old 06-25-2005, 02:06 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

I spent a bunch of time searching the web about this. The campbell-uv web page above was one I found. I also found a bunch of Indian web sites (Castor mainly comes from India) such as:

http://www.kanakcastorproducts.com/
http://www.adyaoils.com/product.htm
http://www.glasswares.info/Exporters...44/catalog.htm

Go there and you find several grades of castor being sold (this is, I suppose, in tanker quantities!):

Commercial Castor
First Special Grade
First Pressed Degummed
Refined
Refined Pale Pressed
Refined Pale Pressed Degummed
USP/BP Grade

and on and on, not including Turkey Red Oil, Dehydrated Castor Oil (a solid), etc. The big thing I needed to know (having bought a 17 liter can of USP/BP grade castor) was whether USP/BP grade has been degummed. The only info I could find was here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2452106/printable.htm

Apparently, it is. Can't vouch for the info, I hope it is right, since I'm burning it in my F2D engines now.

I paid, incidentally, about US$11 a gallon for the stuff.

Rhinebeck Aerodrome had castor for sale at one time - they'd bought drums of it to use in their rotary engined WWI biplanes and replicas, and had a lot to sell.