Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

Aluminul fuel cap thread problem.

Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Aluminul fuel cap thread problem.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminul fuel cap thread problem.

I have a nice new blue anodised aluminum fuel jug cap, purchased from a vendor at Top Gun. It is very nice looking and has a good O-ring seal, and will surely outlast hundreds of jugs of fuel. The problem with it is that it only fits a Byron fuel jug, (and maybe others?) but not the Morgan fuel jugs, (Omega), that I use. It fits a Byron jug and seals absolutely tight, but on Omega jugs, it leaves an obvious air leak. I suppose I can just find a Byron jug to use, but it is so much more convenient to just screw the cap onto a new gallon, and not have to pour the fuel from the new Omega jug into the Byron jug. Are there more than one version of this "Quick" cap? Maybe an adaptor? Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Jim
Old 02-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Aluminul fuel cap thread problem.

Cap, I have three PSP's and they fit Fox, WildCat and Byrons.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Capt Jim

Thanx hobbsy...Byrons is a very rare item around here, ( I just happend to have one of their quart jugs from the monster truck days.) but wildcat is all over the place. I can get an empty one of those at the field anyday. Using the wildcat jug is not a perfect solution, but at least it will allow me to use the cap.
Thanks again.
Jim
Old 02-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim,
I am familiar with your problem.
For some reason, the threads on the aluminum cap will only thread correctly on certain brand bottles. The necks are all what is referred to as "38-400", and all the different companies bottles comply with the overall spec so any 38-400 cap will fit it. Now, even though any 38-400 plastic cap will fit any 38-400 neck bottle, some bottles have different manufacturing tolerances than others and when a precision machined aluminum cap (that may have been made to fit one particular bottle) is used on a bottle that is made to a different tolerance, it will not seal correctly.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Capt Jim

Being the persistant type, I have tried the cap again on the Omega jug. I have to press down very very hard while turning it, but eventually, with a little wrestling, I seem to get it on and sealed. Thanks fuelman for the "scientific" explanation. Oh well, it's not a perfect world we live so I'll just have to deal with it.
Thanks to all for the comments.
Jim
Old 05-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem with those caps being hard to thread on straight, but with some persistance I can always get them to seal.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:54 PM
jessiej

I have found that sometimes a very thin coat of plumber's silicone grease on ill fitting threads helps.

jess
Old 05-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Greggory

For my cars and trucks I use a pump made for changing the lower unit oil in marine outboards it fits almost any bottle or can.
You can get it for $7 bucks at wally world.