Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO BUY COMPONENTS TO MIX YOUR OWN FUEL PLEASE POST THEM HERE

Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO BUY COMPONENTS TO MIX YOUR OWN FUEL PLEASE POST THEM HERE

Old 03-14-2005, 12:41 AM
mlawrencemsc
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO BUY COMPONENTS TO MIX YOUR OWN FUEL PLEASE POST THEM HERE

I started this thread after reading through the post an seeing all the people asking where to buy the components to mix their own fuel. So if you know the name of a place where components can be bought, please post the name address, phone number and website. If you don't know the complete address post the state and town. I think this will help alot of people.

Mike

Old 03-14-2005, 12:24 PM
mlawrencemsc

Default RE: WHERE TO BUY COMPONENTS TO MIX YOUR OWN FUEL

[link=http://www.s-whobby.com/fuel.html]SW HOBBY[/link]
Old 03-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

For what it's worth I just went thru the whole ordeal only to find I can buy fuel cheaper than making it. Nitro is now $42 to $50 a gallon. And alcohol prices are expexted to go up I am told. Use these # and compare to your local prices. These are current prices in NW Iowa.
Alcohol 1.7 cents an oz.
Nitro 35 cents an oz. % x128
Klotz lube 30 cents an oz. % x 128 add thes figures and subtract from 128, then x that # by ,Alcohol, 1.7cents

Add it all up.

128 oz. to a gallon.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:52 PM
mlawrencemsc

Eagle Flyer
For what it's worth I just went thru the whole ordeal only to find I can buy fuel cheaper than making it. Nitro is now $42 to $50 a gallon. And alcohol prices are expexted to go up I am told. Use these # and compare to your local prices. These are current prices in NW Iowa.
Alcohol 1.7 cents an oz.
Nitro 35 cents an oz. % x128
Klotz lube 30 cents an oz. % x 128 add thes figures and subtract from 128, then x that # by ,Alcohol, 1.7cents

Add it all up.

128 oz. to a gallon.
If I did this right I come up with $14.02 a gallon.

Alcohol 1.7 cents oz X 128= $2.18 a gallon
92.16 oz 70.24% 1.7 cents oz X 92.16 oz = $1.67

Nitro .35 cents oz $44.80 a gallon
12.8 oz 9.75% .35 cents oz X 12.8 oz = $4.48

Klotz .30 cents oz $38.40 a gallon
26.24 oz 20% .30 cents oz X 26.24 oz = $7.87

Alcohol $1.67 + Nitro $4.48 = $6.15 + $7.87 klotz oil = $14.02 a gallon

Mike

Old 03-14-2005, 11:05 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, no problem.

Caltex distributor
Seaford Road, Seaford
Adelaide
South Australia
Ph. 8386 1055

Hope that helps
Old 03-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

Your #s sound about right with out actually doing the math myself.
I can't remember the distributor for the nitro. VP racing fuels, FHS Supply or maybe some one else. I did an internet search till I found one with a local dealer then got a price. Closest major distributor for me is in Manhatten,KS. Can't remember the name though. He has dealers all around. Would have to wait till they got a stock oder in to avoid extra charges and it still would cost me $42 plus tax for a gallon.
The alcohol is near by as there is a fair amount of racing in the area. Klotz I get in town at the bike shop.
Figured up for me it is cheaper to buy it than make it. And even though I have to go 100 miles to the store I get thru there often enough to swing in and pick up what I need.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO BUY COMPONENTS TO MIX YOUR OWN FUEL PLEASE POST THEM HERE

Cooper Fuels
Battle Creek, MI

We sell nitro in quarts to avoid additional shipping charges, synthetics and castor come in quarts or gallons. We do not sell methanol by mail order.

Brian
www.cooperfuels.com
Old 03-17-2005, 10:16 PM
mlawrencemsc

Default RE: IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO BUY COMPONENTS TO MIX YOUR OWN FUEL PLEASE POST THEM HERE

I buy 10%, full synthetic, at Mike's Hobby Shop (Carrollton TX) for $8.95 a gallon. 15% is $9.95 not sure if they sell direct.

[link=http://www.ritchsbrew.com/pricing.html]Ritchsbrew[/link]
Old 05-11-2005, 05:55 PM
oldtimer2

Try www.klotzlube.com. They are located in Foet Wayne, IN
Old 05-11-2005, 06:29 PM
RC-Captain

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26420&item=7513718470&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW]methanol on ebay[/link]

Castor can be bought in any store such as cost cutters, drug fair, rite aid, CVS, and any where you can get cold medicine or vitamins.

The link above is for 3 gallons of methanol for $84.00 . It comes in a case of 24 pint size bottles. The shipping is $30.00 a bit much for my taste.

New info. [link=http://www.goemerchant7.com/index.cgi?PageToView=catalog&Department=81051&Cartid=120961115853576&Merchant=highfuelsn&ExpandedDepts=]methanol cheap.[/link]
I found this link searching for methanol in NJ.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:53 PM
badger5964

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anybody ever tried a chemical jobber? These people supply pails, drums and totes of numerous chemicals to the chemical and other industries. Univar or Chemical Resources are propably the two biggest. They would have warehouses in nearly every large city. If they had an existing customer in area for methanol in container size like 5 gallons or a drum you could get a deal. By the way the bulk price for methanol delivered in trucks is less than a $1/gallon!
Old 05-13-2005, 07:12 PM
RC-Captain

Ok , I found out today windshield washer fluid contains methanol. The down fall to this is , it also contains water. SO, I was wondering and probably will test , if I put a chemical used to draw water out of gasoline can I then use the methanol left in the bottle, along with the chemical used to extract the water, for my RC engines ? please feel free to chime in at any time.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:55 PM
jessiej

[quote]ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

[Ok , I found out today windshield washer fluid contains methanol.]

Some of it does.

[The down fall to this is , it also contains water. SO, I was wondering and probably will test , if I put a chemical used to draw water out of gasoline can I then use the methanol left in the bottle, along with the chemical used to extract the water, for my RC engines ?]

No.

Jess
Old 05-13-2005, 10:14 PM
RC-Captain

Please explain your response.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:45 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

Please explain your response.
Windshield washer fluid is mostly water. It may, depending on brand have other chemicals such as detergents.

The chemicals used to "draw the water" out of gasoline are alcohols, which do not remove the water but combine with it to make the contaminated gasoline more combustable.

I am sure the more chemically knowlegable can give a more precise explanation, but if you wish to conduct your own experiment mix a bit of the gasoline additive with a gallon of washer fluid, then see if you can ignite the resulting mix with a match.

jess
Old 05-13-2005, 11:58 PM
RC-Captain

windshield washer fluid is already flammable, no need to add gas.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:29 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

windshield washer fluid is already flammable, no need to add gas.
Really?! What brand?

edit: The more I thought about this the more I thought I should add a "Public Service" statement. If you really do have a highly flammable windshield washer fluid, be VERY carefull when adding it to the washer fluid reservoir if the engine and especially the exhaust manifold is hot. Perhaps what you have is a concentrate to be added to water to formulate washer fluid? I am sure you know that alcohol burns with a flame that is difficult to see, so , again be carefull with whatever flammable "washer" fluid you have. If flammable it should be labled to that effect.

Somewhere around here I have a bottle of "Heet", one of the "water removing" additives, and at least a couple of brands of washer fluid. I will check for ingredients. Since your post I did try some Prestone brand washer fluid, first with a match, which the fluid extinguished, then with a torch which brought the fluid to a boil but failed to ignite it.

Looking foward to your reply,

jess
Old 05-14-2005, 07:31 PM
RC-Captain

Heres the bottle. I will see if it will ignite in a minute.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88817.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	271486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19844.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	271487  
Old 05-14-2005, 08:35 PM
jessiej

Good luck. Just don't drink any of it

jess
Old 05-14-2005, 09:02 PM
RC-Captain

Ok the results are in, It is in fact combustible. When I light a match and try to douse it out with the fluid the flame becomes larger then goes back to a small flame. If in a chamber ,IE crankcase for RC engines , it will in fact run the engine. How well is any ones guess.

This experiment was brought to you by FIEND INC.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:23 PM
jessiej

Sounds as though you have the makings for some inexpensive glow fuel. Keep us posted.

jess
Old 05-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Fuelman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RC Fiend,
I very seriously doubt that you can make a glow engine run on windshield wiper fluid. First, it has way too much water in it. What that means is it may support combustion, but not enough to provide the catalytic reaction for ignition by the glow plug. Second, once you add oil to the mix, it will more than likely not mix well or mix at all.
Just because it says combustable on the lablel, does not mean it is suitable. I can burn many whiskeys and rums, but they will not work in a model engine.