Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Omega vs. Cool Power

Old 05-18-2005, 06:38 AM
BShin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Omega vs. Cool Power

I've got an OS .25 FP, an Enya .30 SS/BB, and an Enya .45 SS/BB. I've always used Cool Power in the past with no problems. Recently, my LHS recommended Omega, especially for the OS .25 since it is not a BB engine. So, I tried a gallon and am having mixed results. I've run the .25 and the .30 with it and my glow plugs seems to be gunking up quickly, and yesterday, I couldn't even turn over the .30 by hand (after having run it last Saturday). I wound up stripping the engine down and cleaning it in solvent, lube'ing it, and putting it back together. It then turned over and I got it started (after putting a new glow plug in it). I usually use an "after run oil", but can't remember if I used any after Saturday's flight.

I realize the castor/syn blend is supposed to be a better all around mix, but are these inherent problems with using it, or am I just running into some freaky problems. I am probably going to switch back to the Cool Power and see if things correct themselves, but I thought I would post this to see if anyone else has run into similar problems.

Also, I thought of this "after the fact", but would just dropping some fresh fuel in the carb and piston have helped in loosening the engine up?

Thanks,

B
Old 05-18-2005, 06:50 AM
RC-Captain

Default RE: Omega vs. Cool Power

1- the engine may feel tight because the castor in Omega formed a better linning on your cylinder.
2. sounds as if the hobby guy wanted to sell you a different fuel for some reason. Although experimenting
can't hurt.
3. I never used an after run engine oil , and all I use is Omega.
4. how old are your engines.
5. heating the engine in the oven would have helped with loosening up the engine.

All the above are my oppinions along with real life experiences. GL
Old 05-18-2005, 10:26 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only guess you must have got a bad batch of Omega because there's no way the castor by itself could cause that problem. Other than a couple of my engines that I've tried a blend of castor and synthetic, everything else has never had less than 20% all castor and even laying them up for months (years in some cases) I've never had a problem turning them over. Glow plugs have never gunked up either. But you're only talking a few days so something weird is going on.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:35 PM
jessiej

A couple of weeks ago I fired up an old Fox that had been put away in about 1960, with no after run oil or attention of any sort. It had last been run on all castor fuel, probably 25%+ oil. It was a bit stiff until I primed it and the fuel loosened it up. It fired up on the third flip. It still had the old plug. I think the plug is an OK Cub.

jess
Old 05-19-2005, 06:09 AM
BShin

Thanks for the replies guys....

My engines are all 10+ years old, but had been sitting up for a number of years. I disassembled them, cleaned and oiled them a few months ago, and they all fired up right away. They all have good compression and don't show any signs of excessive wear.

The LHS that sold me the Omega is well respected, and I suspect that the fellow there just prefers the Omega over the Cool Power, although there might be something to it's being better for a non BB engine. From the sounds of everyone on here, castor oil, or some type of blend, is prefered as well (at least if they are primarily concerned with their engine life).

I did notice on the bottle last night, that they DO NOT recommend using after run oil. They indicate the fuel already contains rust inhibitors. They didn't say what the ramificatioins would be if you did use after run oil, so now I'm beginning to wonder.....could the combination of the two cause things to get "gummed" up......

B
Old 05-19-2005, 06:32 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I ran Omega 15% for about 5 years and had some problems, I had a Super Tigre .90 break, sent it in and they said it had been ran lean but I always ran a rich needle setting???? maybe fuel??? and all of my 2 and four strokes seemed more tempermental on the settings and keeping them tuned,?? maybe fuel????,, well one day I picked up a Gallon Cool Power 15%,, I always mix my gas with Sigs AA castor oil, the Morgan fuels Omega and Cool Power come with only 17% oil content from the factory so I mix 4 oz's of castor to each new gallon of cool power and that puts the oil content up to around 19.62 %, I don't know if there is anything to it but I have been running cool power for about a year and went through about 15 gallons and havent had a motor problem or tuning issue yet, so I am sold on Cool Power, it might not be the difference in Omega to Cool Power but it sure seems Cool Power is the better choice,, but that is just my experiences,,
Old 05-20-2005, 05:32 AM
BShin

Thanks Jon,

I fired up my Enya .30 yesterday with a tank of straight Cool Power 10%. I had to readjust the idle screw, but once done, it ran like a champ (not to mention the lack of goo all over everything). So, I guess I'll be switching back to Cool Power. I am interested in trying what you do (adding some castor), but would want to do a small amount instead of a whole gallon. How small of a quantity can you buy the castor, and where do you get it? If I could get a pint or a quart (wouldn't want a 55 gallon drum of the stuff sitting in my work shop, LOL), I'd like to play around with mixing a small amount to see what happens. My gallon of Omega doesn't say what percentage the blend of castor/syn it has, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it's 20/80 (castor/syn).

Thanks,

B
Old 05-20-2005, 06:20 AM
jongurley

I buy the Sig AA Castor oil by the quart from my LHS ,, I know Sig sells it I believe there website is www.sigmanufacturing.com or www.sigmfr.com or something,, and like I said just mix 4 oz. to a gallon and you get all the lube you will want and not much mess either 4 oz. puts it up like I said around 19.62 and 5 oz will put it up to 20.78 somewhere, I don't plan on using anything but cool power with the castor added no time soon,,
Old 05-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been burning Omega and Coolpower for years without a problem. However, I am getting tired of the castor crud and found that by mixing the two (Coolpower and Omega) 50/50 I get a decent oil with 15% castor instead of 30% castor with same 17% oil content.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:09 AM
BShin

Homebrewer - That's another good idea. Any thoughts on mixing different nitro content fuels. Say 10% with 15%. I would imagine it would have the same effect percentage wise. Anyway, I've got 1/2 gallon left of the 10% Omega so I'm going to mix it with something, and my buddy has 1/2 gallon of 15% Cool Power.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:23 AM
Kweasel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool power will turn the inside of your engine green but it leaves less mess on the airframe and in the engine and exhaust. I have been using both for 15 years and its always been good, even in screaming piped .60s. I oil my engines after each outing and I also fly of clean concrete. If you fly off grass then a little corrosion on the steel parts is nothing compared to all the dirt thats going through the engine. Who wants to have a 7 year old engine with 100 flights and glass smooth bearings anyway.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

I ran Cool Power in an Evolution 46 and ended up with rusty bearings.
I now run Omega and found that my engines run cooler.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:20 PM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

weather it's 17% oil or 20% oil you still have to clean up your plane with about the same effert. Anytime your change nitro content or oil makeup you have to retune those engines. If you want to play it safe stay with 10% nitro and caster and sythetic oil mix at 20% total and you will meet just about every engine manufacturer's fuel recommendation. nitro creates heat and is corrosive ,so why use too much?????????????