Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

Normal propyl alcohol used as fuel???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Normal propyl alcohol used as fuel???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 11:38 PM
will1563

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal propyl alcohol used as fuel???

Can anyone let me know whether or not normal propyl alcohol could be used to mix model engine fuel

Thanks
Bill
Old 06-24-2005, 06:53 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Normal propyl alcohol used as fuel???

No, it contains water.
Z
Old 06-24-2005, 09:38 AM
will1563

I am no chemist and don't disagree with your reply, but when you say it contains water, I question what you base this on.
This is printing grade solvent, and from what I understand, it is 99%+ pure. I know that alcohols have the tendency to attract moisture if left exposed to the environment and can be contaminated that way. This product is from sealed drums therefore I would assume its free from water content..

Bill
Old 06-24-2005, 09:56 AM
carrellh

The original reply probably assumed drug store 70% rubbing alcohol which has 30% water.

You could try mixing up a small amount with just alcohol and oil to test it. I probably wouldn't invest in nitromethane for a test.

Someone asked about using ethanol vs methanol and the reply was that it doesn't cause the right chemical reaction to keep the glow plug glowing.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:59 PM
wvarn1957
My Feedback: (3)

It will probably work, but the air/fuel ratio is going to be around 12/1, which is very close to that of gasoline. The result is that the needle adjustments will be much more sensitive and probably won't develop as much power as it will on methanol because you will be combustion air limited.

The reply that the glow plug wont ignite ethanol is incorrect. The platinum on the element is used os an oxidation catalyst for many hydrocarbons. It will even ignite lighter fluid/air tool oil mixes. I know because thats what I use for after run.

If the price on the n-propanol is right you might try it. Probably best if you used an OS F plug..
Old 06-24-2005, 09:43 PM
will1563

Thanks for the information, I will give it a try soon.
I am considering running a large size 2 stroke and hope this may be a way to cut down on fuel costs.

Bill
Old 06-24-2005, 10:33 PM
RC-Captain

I wouldn't try , GL
Old 06-26-2005, 03:53 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tried running isopropanol in several two and four stroke engines. This stuff was labeled 99.5% and the drum was unopened. It did run in all engines but not very well. The power was way down and the needle was very sensitive, the OS91fs really did not like it. It did improve noticeably with some acetone in the mix. I really wanted to make it work because it was free. Methanol is the only thing that I have found that works really well, Ethanol should also be good but is too expensive.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:40 PM
derferic
My Feedback: (32)

In the early days of glow plugs, several companies marketed gasoline-oil fuels that used nitropropane instead of nitromethane. They ran well but would not produce the power of methanol.