Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Turbine oil in glow

Old 06-26-2005, 04:32 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbine oil in glow

Does anyone have long term experience with running 2380 or Mobile2 as a primary lubricant? I know it works great as an additive to commercial fuel.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:36 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turbine oil in glow

It's not really long term but I've run about 4 litres (over 3 hours) of 18% Mobil Jet Oil 2 through one engine and it's been fine. On one engine that I normally run 20% all castor I gave a quick run on this fuel and found the head temp was 10F higher but it was hardly scientific because I didn't try for the same revs, I just gave it a quick tweak to near peak and checked the temp. The major problem with Jet Oil 2 is the heavy brown dye that's used which can stain some paint finishes.

Most of those in our club that use jet oil have switched to BP2380 which, although the specs aren't quite as good as Mobil, at least doesn't have that dye in it.

One word of caution though is that there are two versions of the Mobil oil, generations 2 and 3. Only generation 2 will mix with methanol but not having seen the gen. 3 can I can't say if the markings are different.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:47 PM
hitman45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick question. Where can you pick up Jet oil? Don't tell me I have to purchase it at my local airport. Im also in Australia by the way, so anyway I can get it?

Also my local hobby shop doesn't stock Jet oil nor does it stock Jet planes, so yeah.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:36 AM
downunder

ORIGINAL: hitman45
Don't tell me I have to purchase it at my local airport.
OK, I won't
Try a local Mobil or BP distributor/agent/whatever. Once I needed some Castrol M and my local auto parts shop (who sold Castrol oils for cars) got in a 5 litre can for me on their next order. Ask nicely at your local garage and they might do the same for you
Old 07-12-2005, 05:57 PM
hitman45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok cool, thanks Downunder. But I guess I could also see if my local airport sells jet oil and fuel to customers. I don't think no BIG International airports would sell you stuff like that to people, but Im hoping that a small airport in my area would "kindly" sell me stuff. I might give em' a call.

Anyways thanks mate.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:01 AM
downunder

hitman
I'd have no hesitation in using jet oil that's been drained from a gas turbine into a clean container. A local airport that services small commuter prop jets or helicopters just throw the stuff away. Unlike a car engine there's no contamination from blow by and the filtering system used is far and away better than in cars. Old oil is so clean that any metallic particles can only be found by spectroscopic analysis of the oil. In fact, that's done on a regular basis (in military aircraft at least) to get early detection of abnormal wear in bearings or gears. We weren't even allowed to use a screwdriver to punch a hole in the cans because that would give a false reading, the screwdriver would tear the metal and contaminate the oil.