Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Ether

Old 08-30-2005, 08:31 AM
andrew b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ether

How much "power" does Ether provide? I dont believe it provides much, it only serves to modify pressure/temperature conditions inside the cylinder, enabling the "combustible" to combust, would this be correct?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ether

It provides less than the kerosene; don't have the figures at hand.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:01 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andrew,

See this [link=http://www.flyhi.org.il/fuel.htm]web page[/link] (Its from an Israeli R/C site).

Ether has about 20% less energy per lb. than gasoline/kerosene, but also 50% more than methanol.

It is the less energetic component of model Diesel fuel, but since it also has a lower stoichiometric ratio, it can make as much power as gasoline, with a higher fuel consumption.

The desirable attribute of di-ethyl ether is its lower flash point, which makes it ignite spontaneously under compression, due to the heat it creates. There is virtually no reasonable replacement for ether in model Diesel fuel.

It does not modify pressure/temperature conditions and is very much a combustible.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In form of energy are ether poor in effect, then we are using kerosene or similar with high energy to get more power in the engine.

We need ether to raise cetane number in modelengine fuel therefore ether ignites easier in low compression in the model dieselengines. The pure ether has about 85-90 in cetane number.

The booster to example Amyl nitrite or MEKP or other nitrites/nitritates in fuel are to redusing ignition lag therefore the engine will go faster and more powerful with a bit reduced compression.

Jens Eirik
Old 08-30-2005, 04:23 PM
gary-meyers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you got basically good information
Old 09-01-2005, 10:11 AM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if its true or not, but I've been told the ether also allows the vegetable castor oil to mix in with the mineral component, kerosine. When I mix my fuel, its interesting to watch the last few globs of castor melting away into the blend. Sometimes takes a couple of minutes.