Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Rc Fuel Faq

Old 11-08-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Changes?

Sent an inquiry to both US Distributor for ELF and contact for Mexico (Paris) asking if they could advise if their product would mix with methanol and explained the reason for my question. I was hopeful that someone was familar with this ELF product. I have the oil for the gassers. The local chemical supplier would have to order a 60 liter plastic container just to allow me to get a test sample.

Will share reply from ELF.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:45 PM

Reply from ELF:
Dear Sir, Moto 2 XT Tech is not designed to work with methanol.
XT 098 is a lubricant dedicated for this type of application
Cordialement / Best regards CĂ©cile Libot TOTAL Lubrifiants
(Typo error XT 098 should be HTX 098 to work in their website and Google)

Some search results:
http://www.elfracing.com/pdf/S090000.pdf#search='ELF%20HTX%20098'

pic w aus pricing ( 26.82 AUS Nov 9 0.7333 19.6684 US$) Wonder how it is price in US bike shops?http://www.pocketracer.com.au/prod297.htm

US source:
http://www.elfracing.com/lubrifiants...2=Etats%2DUnis
This site is available in Eng, French, Espanol. Has listed contacts worldwide.

Tested & Confirmed: The ELF 2 Stoke mention in prior post will not mix with methanol, nor will Marvel Mystery Oil.
Experimenting with an additional mix with methanol, oil and gasoline. See thread in Engine Conversions.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rc Fuel Faq

ORIGINAL: Fuelman

Folks,
This FAQ thread has not seen much activity in a couple months.

How about a few questions from some of our newer members or folks surfing through. Or, if you have a subject area (fuel related of course) that you would like a little further insight into, please feel free to ask.

As I mentioned in post #1, I will do my best to answer any an all of your questions with fact. I will contact other experts in the field to answer a question if necessary.

Thank you for visiting the forum.
Hi.

I have no experience of fuel since I had to mix my own diesel fuel in the 50s. Then it was 1/3 kerosene, 1/3 castor oil & 1/3 ether. The local pharmacist supplied this to me in glass stoppered bottles with the recommendation that I do not drop it.

I have recently. this week! bought a Zenoah G-38 and reading the manual found the recommendation that alcohol be avoided for fear of damaging the carburettor. It has a Walbro carb and I am under the impression that some gasoline contains alcohol. Weedeaters etc would seem to be in danger of damage from the alcohol in some fuels. I haven't checked on the local situation in UK. We certainly used to have Cleveland Discol (alcohol content) at the pumps.

The second thing that I have met is the corrosion and seizing problem due to glow fuel being left in Glow Motors. I have no idea what after run oil is, I now know how to use it but where do I find it in UK?

Any help would be appreciated.

old git
Old 12-22-2005, 09:00 PM

I have no idea what after run oil is, I now know how to use it but where do I find it in UK?
I found some oil that indicated it was suitable for use in lubricating air driven tools . I found it at a local auto supply store. Also saw some Marvel Mystery Oil that would have work as well.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-2005, 05:38 AM

[/quote]
I found some oil that indicated it was suitable for use in lubricating air driven tools . I found it at a local auto supply store. Also saw some Marvel Mystery Oil that would have work as well.
Merry Christmas
[/quote]

Thanks mikenlapaz

Air Tool lubricating oil sound a good move, I should be able to source that without difficulty. I would still like to know more about Marvel Mystery oil as a possible alternative. I years ago decided that re-inventing the wheel was wasting time in fact if I get lost in the car I am not above asking for directions.

I saw recommendations elsewhere that WD 40 never be used on model engines as after run oil and that it removed so much oil etc, that it promoted corrosion in the bearings.

After a number of people fell from unsecured doors on the main line trains and drunken behaviour was blamed, eventually it was admitted that revised maintenance schedules resulted in door-locks being lubricated with WD 40 which removed the grease and allowed corrosion. Quite a number of deaths appear to be as a result of not using the original system of greasing the locks and simply using the occasional spray of WD 40.

For any potential tourists etc to UK I think that now all the slam door coaches have been removed from service.

Thanks again, and a Merry Christmas to All our Readers!?!?

old git
Old 12-23-2005, 06:19 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just use any air tool oil if you are not running a YS or other pumped engine that may have silicone parts inside (petroleum products swell the silicone). Marvel Mystery oil (not marvel air tool oil) will gum up if left to sit for a long time, it is best to stay away from that.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:47 PM

Found some 3-in-1 brand oil today that showed sewing machines on container. much cheaper so bought some of it as well.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:01 PM

mikenlapaz,
The 3 in 1 should do just fine for you.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:12 PM

If water contamination in the the fuel jug is a problem, then what about the water in the exhaust vapor that pressurizes the on-board fuel tank of the plane. How often do you recommend an on-board fuel tank be removed and flushed of water (droplets) or the water contaminated fuel in the tank that never gets sucked out by the clunk?
Old 12-25-2005, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The volume of water that could get into the tank through the muffler pressure line is minute and I doubt it could be measured outside of a laboratory. You can never have free drops of water in a tank if there's any methanol in it because it's totally soluble. Even if whatever remains in the tank after a flight has a very small % of water then by the time you've refilled with fresh fuel the % has dropped considerably. It's not an issue so don't worry about it.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:02 PM

If mixing your own fuel and you want 20% oil in it do you go by weight or volume? Since the oil is about 25% heavier than the methanol it makes quite a difference. If you do 20% by volume you end up with nearly 25% by weight which is a lot. if you put in 16% by volume you end up with 20% by weight. Is that the correct way of measuring it? Before someone dives in with specific gravity stuff and gets all technical let me say that I just weighed a small volume of methanol on digital scales and it was 16gms. I then weighed an identical volume of oil and it was 20gms which is where I get these numbers from. The scales are only reading to the nearest gramme so it could be slightly out but you get my point.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:34 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fuelman: I bought a couple gallons of Powermaster YS 20/20 fuel for use in my Saito engines because I read on the internet that it was supposed to be the hot set up for Saitos, and it was on sale. Well, maybe it turns out it is too hot because I subsequently read that 100% syn is not recommended for Saitos. Maybe it's just a case of Ford vs Chevy. But here is my question:

How much Klotz Benol should I add to a full gallon of Powermaster YS 20/20 to "castor it up" so it is safer to use in my Saito engines?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

neil666
Mix by volume. Ummmmm...what else can I say???
Old 01-16-2006, 09:10 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

OG, in the background you can see a red aerosol can that says Corrosion X on it, this is the best afterrun oil I've ever used. It is designed to protect metal in a sea salt environment. If an old engine has dried castor in it, the CX will soften it and render it harmless to the bearings. I have stored engines for 5 years or longer and when taken out of storage they look brand new inside.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38930.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	388789  
Old 01-16-2006, 10:21 AM
My Feedback: (3)

WOW great info
But so much to read lol I was wondering about the fuel for a Magnum XL-52RFS 4-Stroke and tower hobby trys to sell there fuel for the engine but shiping will kill you the only fuel i can get in my area is byron (quote from tower hobbys) REQUIRES: Fuel for Break-In: 10% or Less Nitromethane, 20% or More Castor Oil.
Fuel After Break-In: Up to 15% Nitro, and 16% or More Castor Oil.
Castor Oil is Recommended Over Synthetic Oils for This Engine. Use
of Fuel with At Least A Partial Blend of Castor Oil is Required
But byron is a Synthetic type so what should i use/or pay that high dollar shiping charge iam lost am not going to ruin that engine with the wrong fuel
Old 01-16-2006, 02:42 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the Byron's and put a couple oz of caster oil per gallon in it. Get the castor at the drug store if they don't have it at the hobby shop.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-23-2006, 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Fuelman: I bought a couple gallons of Powermaster YS 20/20 fuel for use in my Saito engines because I read on the internet that it was supposed to be the hot set up for Saitos, and it was on sale. Well, maybe it turns out it is too hot because I subsequently read that 100% syn is not recommended for Saitos. Maybe it's just a case of Ford vs Chevy. But here is my question:

How much Klotz Benol should I add to a full gallon of Powermaster YS 20/20 to "castor it up" so it is safer to use in my Saito engines?

Thanks!
If you want the rust preventing benefits of castor in you fuel, you only need about 2% by volume in there. Best bet is to add about 3 ounces and that will bump you up around 2%

Neil666,
Mix by volume like Downunder says

Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Fuelman,

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death...Horizon recomends 30% heli fuel for use in Saito engines. I just built a Funtana 90 and bolted on a 125. Do you recomend 30% heli fuel for my application? I do mostly 3D and the extra power would be great. Previous to this, I had a Funtana 40 with a Saito 82 and used 20/20. It worked fine but would like more power. Barring bolting a Saito 100 on it perhaps 30% could also improve this application...?

I'm mostly concerned with the piston flying through the head or any other probs you guys might think I would experience.

All opinions appreciated!

Brendan

Quote taken from Horizon website:

"For performance models, our staff has been using 30% helicopter fuel in the larger four-strokes for years, and we’ve found many pilots around the country who do the same. The engines run great on this fuel with no overheating issues, plus the power gain is significant. In flight, this fuel runs great and is easy to tune, giving a good transition. On 30% heli fuel, the Saito 180 turns the APC 16x8 prop at 9800 rpms — that’s 400 rpms more than with the 15% fuel."
ORIGINAL: Fuelman
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
Folks,
This FAQ thread has not seen much activity in a couple months.

How about a few questions from some of our newer members or folks surfing through. Or, if you have a subject area (fuel related of course) that you would like a little further insight into, please feel free to ask.

As I mentioned in post #1, I will do my best to answer any an all of your questions with fact. I will contact other experts in the field to answer a question if necessary.

Thank you for visiting the forum.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:59 AM

Btaff,
Sorry it took so long for me to get back on the boards.
I have a lot of Saito engines, and I love them all. I do not have one of the 125's or 220's yet but I have at least one of most of the other single cylinder Saito's. My personal favorite fuel in the modern Saito's is a 20% nitro blend, with a little bit of castor in there, which for me is a personal prefrence. I fly my 100's, 180's, and 91's in 3D planes and have no lack of throttle response or top end swinging 3D props. You can run 30% without really any worries as long as you properly adjust the needles for that fuel, it should not hurt the engine at all, I have in the past run a lot of 30% through Saitos and have had zero problems.

I have found that most folks running the 30% are running them so rich that they are not realizing the potential that 30% has to offer and that when running the same engine, well tuned on 20% they see little if any differance. Seen this many many times at fun flys over the last few years.

A nice little power trick for your Saito is to adjust the valves a bit on the tight side, go see some of Bill Roubinsons posts in the glow engine forum.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:40 PM

does fuel tubing length matter? Can I just run a short piece of hose from the pipe to the tank or should it be a certain length? Same with fuel tubing to carb. longer or shorter tubing? please shed some light on the subject. thanx
Old 04-05-2006, 01:46 AM

does fuel tubing length matter? Can I just run a short piece of hose from the pipe to the tank or should it be a certain length? Same with fuel tubing to carb. longer or shorter tubing? please shed some light on the subject. thanx
Use the amount of tubing you need for a flexible no-kinks, no crimps run from carb and muffler to the tank. Protect from vibration chafe. Most fittings take medium sized fuel line which is sufficient in diameter for ANY engine used in RC.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 PM

can i run 2 stroke in my four stroke and four stroke fuel in my 2 stroke?
Old 04-12-2006, 09:26 PM

Sure.
As long as it is not one of the old time 4 stroke blends that had only a fraction of the oil that two strokes need. For the most part these days, any modern two stroke fuel will work in both.
Bear in mind that most modern 4 stroke fuels are now a synthetic oil only fuel, so if you are looking for a castor synthetic blend, it may be in a two stroke fuel.

I personally prefer a little castor in all my engines, both two and four stroke.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:37 AM

I downloaded home brew buddy and it seems to work great, but can some one explain to me why my end volume is so much? For example using 5% nitro, 20% castor, and 75% methanol mixing for one U.S. gallon is 3.228 Kg. .217Kg nitro .727Kg castor 2.284Kg methanol which is more like 2 gallons. I believe the mix is right and the end result yields more than expected. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to adjust the program?
Old 05-22-2006, 12:34 PM

Dear Fuelman,

I am very much intere3sted in a GAS Fuel RC but my problemis that, in the place where I am at NITROMETHANE is hard to get locally. I am in Saudi Arabia and I would like to know if it is okay to put on a NITRO GAS RC CAR only mixture of METHANOL, CASTOR OIL & Synthetic oil? This will run as well, I understand it will not get the same power as with NITRO but if it runs acceptably fine. I need it only for my hobby and not for Racing.

Also, would it not affect the enging since it recommends to use a NITRO on the fule?

Please advice. Thank you in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.