Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Rc Fuel Faq

Old 05-27-2006, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changes?

Ian,
You can run a zero percent nitro mixture through your rc car. I take it you are in an American or European compound in Jeddah as a contract worker?
Anyway, if you can get your hands on methanol and castor oil then you can mix up a blend of about 12% to 14% castor oil and the balance methanol for your rc car. You will want to remove the head shim or shims from it and find the hottest glow plug you can. You will have to tune it very differently than you would with nitro and it will run but with out as much power and not as crisp of a transition because these engines were designed for some nitro, not zero nitro. Tuning will have to be very precice when using fuel without nitro in a car engine.
To help idle and transition you can add up to 5% pure acetone in place of some of the methanol, but start with 2% or 3% if you can find it. If you are in an American compound there, acetone should be rather easy to scrounge up.

This has worked for many many service men in Iraq and various parts of the region that brought their rc cars and trucks with them. Some have had good success and others have had some success, but they were all running their trucks and killing spare time and boredom. If you are good on the needles, then you will have better success than someone that is not.

Hope this helps
Old 06-14-2006, 03:53 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Hello All,
Hope to get some honest answers about a dilemma. Due to some health issues I may have to give up flying in the near future []. I have used Powermaster 20/20 in my 4 strokes and Wildcat Super Premium 15% in my 2 strokes. That being said, I have quite a few gallons of fuel still sealed that is kept in a climate controlled room.

It looks like perhaps an R/C truck like a REVO 3.3 will be something that I can operate from my home. After reading many posts about the car specific fuels having less of an oil content, is there some way that my airplane fuel could be salvaged for use in the truck engine?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: olstoney
After reading many posts about the car specific fuels having less of an oil content, is there some way that my airplane fuel could be salvaged for use in the truck engine?
If it were me I'd just use the plane fuel in the truck and not worry about wearing out the engine anywhere near as fast
Old 07-05-2006, 05:52 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Rc Fuel Faq

Fuelman
Does anybody know why a tartan twin will always have one cylinder run hotter than the other?

The engine runs very well. I'm using 5%Syn with methonol and 2% nitro. The elevation here is 4000". I have the thing mounted in the big Chipmunk (81"
It starts easy and turns 72K with a 20 X 8. It has new Gloplugs, rated on the cool side. The rear, or rt cylinder runs @ 280F and the front runs at 210F. It idles well @ 2500, but slowly will loose the cooler cylinder.
The rings are free and the engine has no loose parts, bearings, etc.
Any help from old Tartan runners would be appreciated.

Zee
AMA129570
Old 07-06-2006, 08:59 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zee,
I do not know why the tartan twins run one side hotter than the other. I have never owned one so I can only guess that both sides are not getting identical mixtures, its only a guess. On your cool side to help keep it from flaming out you can try a slightly hotter plug or use a baffle to block a little of the airflow across the cylinder to help it retain its heat.
I wish I could help you more on this one, someone else here may be able to chime in and offer some help.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:01 PM

Default RE: More Q&A

Hey Fuelman BB

I have sent you a PM as to why the pressure line is coiled and the phenomena that occours relating to this . have a read and post it if you like .. I have only read up to page 4 so far and dont know if this issue has been addressed ..

BM
Old 07-09-2006, 07:15 PM

Just found a pic of the tartan twin 40

I have no idea about Airborne engines really but at a guess could the fact that they are an off set boxer style engine be the cause of one cylinder being cooler than the other ? One is closer to the prop, is that the one thats cooler. Also the intake distributon through the crank, is it favoring one side over the other because of the lower pressure vaccum caused by the hotter running cylinder.. ? maybe you need to run a slighly different pipe on the cooler cylinder to equalise pressure.. , Block the cowling intake to the cooler head , chop off some cooling fins on the cooler one.. ( Fuelman will like that one) I dunno im guessing here ...
Old 07-12-2006, 09:30 PM

anyone here use motul micro oil in their mixes? i think my local moto shop has some and i heard it was awesome stuff
Old 07-12-2006, 10:22 PM

Jan Karlson (sp?) aka: "Jaka" swears by the Micro Motul oil.

He says it's an excellent oil.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:25 PM

anyone ran it though? think im gunna pick up a bottle
Old 07-25-2006, 09:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back to post #204 Have you checked to see if the compression is the same on both cylinders. With a compression gauge. Good luck capt,n
Old 08-29-2006, 07:35 PM

has anyone here used VP Racing RC3 castor oil? if so how does it stack up to some Klotz BeNOL? thanks
Old 10-28-2006, 12:14 PM

i dont know if this question has been answered already but, is it okay to switch from one brand of nitro fuel to another? i bought a used revo and he was using 20% blue thunder by dynamite, would it be okay to switch to traxxas top fuel 20%?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:09 PM

It's quite OK to switch between brands or nitro percent or whatever you like but you must retune and it's wise to open the needle a little to ensure it's a bit too rich before the first start on a new fuel (especially when going to a higher nitro mix).
Old 11-14-2006, 08:13 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Just like any inline air cooled engine. Cool air passes around front cylinder and then the warmed up air has to pass over rear cylinder hence rear is hotter. Just like a Harley V-Twin going down the road the rear cylinder is always hotter and suffers from more wear and tear. The number 3 cylinder on VW bug just about always goes bad first since air is blocked by oil cooler and the air that gets to that cylinder is much hotter after going thur oil cooler.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:55 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi people,

I am from India and have been with RC airplanes, Trucks and Helis since 7 years. There was no source to get synthetic oil earlier, but now we do have morgan cool power synthetic oil and klots with 5% castor. I am very new to synth oil.
Please suggest as to how to use this invaluable oil.
How much % of oil should be used for airplanes, helis and trucks.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Adarsh
Old 12-06-2006, 03:37 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Fuelman,
I just purchased a OS .18 Tm for my T-maxx. I bought some 30% monster power fuel at the LHS recommendation. I started the engine for the first heat cycle. It ran at high idle and within 2.5 minutes it was at 250 degrees. I posted on the Traxxas Monster truck forum and one guy metioned changing neddle settings. Another mentioned that he did not recommend 30% unless your engine was old. What are your thoughts? I have only ran 4 - 2 minute heat cycles through it so far. Should I switch to 20% or try to adjust the needles. I am looking more for reliabilty and longevity not high performance.
Thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 03:48 PM

since you have a gallon of 30% might as well use it, it wont really hurt the engine to run it, but if you arent looking for performance, switch to 20% and savage a few bukcs every time you buy a gallon of fuel
Old 12-07-2006, 08:09 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rebeldude

Hey Fuelman,
I just purchased a OS .18 Tm for my T-maxx. I bought some 30% monster power fuel at the LHS recommendation. I started the engine for the first heat cycle. It ran at high idle and within 2.5 minutes it was at 250 degrees. I posted on the Traxxas Monster truck forum and one guy metioned changing neddle settings. Another mentioned that he did not recommend 30% unless your engine was old. What are your thoughts? I have only ran 4 - 2 minute heat cycles through it so far. Should I switch to 20% or try to adjust the needles. I am looking more for reliabilty and longevity not high performance.
Thanks
I'm with HPI Apollo, use the 30%.
Do not let the engine high idle. Start5 it up and run it around and get some full throttle passes in. Tune the high speed needle so that the engine does not sag during a full throttle pass. You do not want it too rich where the engine misses. Check out the break in link here:[link=http://www.cooperfuels.com/Break-in.htm]ABC Engine Break in[/link].
Old 12-07-2006, 03:28 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Too late. I already took the 30% back and purchased some Sidewinder 20%. I ran it for 2 minutes and took it easy on the throttle (Temp at shut-off 205). After I let off the throttle it runs at high idle for a second or 2 and then drops in RPM, then will low idle for a second, and die. Normal during break-in? I have read the article on the link above. Thanks for that info. I am going to try and run it a little harder on the next run. Again, thanks for your help!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:41 PM

what is the purpose of nitro in air plane fuel (what's the difference beween 10% and 15% nitro fuel)

thanks, dave trimmer
Old 12-18-2006, 04:43 PM

nitromethane brings oxygen into the combustion process, more oxygen, more fuel, so more power can be extracted
Old 12-18-2006, 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Dave trimmer
what is the purpose of nitro in air plane fuel (what's the difference beween 10% and 15% nitro fuel)
It can certainly give a bit more power if the engine is designed to use it (and 99% of engines are ). It makes the needle easier to adjust for the ham fisted at the expense of much higher fuel consumption. Are you getting the idea I'm not a fan of nitro?

Where it's truly worthwhile is in competition classes that have an engine size limitation as RC pattern used to be (I'm not sure if they still have engine size limits because I don't follow it). Nitro allowed the engine to produce more torque so a bigger prop could be used at the same revs for more thrust.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:31 PM

so i have a spad that takes a lot of trouble so it has a .25 on it with a 9X6 on it with 10%, if i use 15% it will be a little easier to take off (hand launch)

please correct me if im wrong

thanks, dave trimmer
Old 04-29-2007, 12:27 AM

Anyone know if Jet A will run a Nitro engine? I'm new to nitro and have a free suply of jet A

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.