Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

Mixing Your Own Glow Fuel - Homemade

Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Mixing Your Own Glow Fuel - Homemade

Old 04-30-2006, 01:34 PM
ViperX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing Your Own Glow Fuel - Homemade

hi
i would appreciate if someone here knows how to and/or mixes their own fuel. i dont have a slightly clue on where to begin. and to be honest i d rather buy my fuel from the local hobby store then to mix my own. i m not writing this thread to find a cheap way to run my rc truck but for the reaons that i dont have a LHS where i m based at the moment within 1000miles and importing fuel is out of the question(too costly). so far this is all i could find out and i hope experienced fuel mixers could guide me to the right direction.

ingredients that i need:
nitromethane - chemical name - CH3NO2
castor oil - chemical name - C11H10O10
methanol - chemical name - CH3OH

to make 25% glow fuel I would mix
Nitromethane - 25%
Castor Oil - 25%
Methanol - 50%

Is there anythin else that needs to mixed, any precautions i may need to take, any help would be appreciated. literally anythin.

Note: I intend to use this fuel with a Savage K4.6 Engine. Currently i m using tornado 25% glow fuel which will run out pretty soon. i need help ppl
Old 04-30-2006, 09:47 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Mixing Your Own Glow Fuel - Homemade

You've got the right ingredients. Does the engine need 25 percent oil? I'm not familiar with the engine. My OS, Thunder Tiger, and Magnum airplane engines all recommend 18 to 20 percent oil.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:36 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ViperX
to make 25% glow fuel I would mix
Nitromethane - 25%
Castor Oil - 25%
Methanol - 50%
You're in London so you should be at ease with metrics. Mixing your own fuel is dead easy once you've got the chemicals you need. To mix 1 litre of that fuel...
250cc Nitromethane
250cc castor oil
500cc methanol
But even I'll say that 25% castor is more than you need so cut it down to 20% (that's a good safe amount) and mix like this...
250cc Nitro (25%)
200cc castor (20%)
550cc methanol (55%)

You can see how the amounts needed relate directly to the % of each you want to have. If you want to mix 4 litres total then just multiply each amount by 4 and you're done. The only thing I'll add is to give the mix a good shake because it takes a minute or so to get all the oil completely mixed.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Sport_Pilot

Even 20% oil is more than most car and truck engines are using.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:37 PM
ViperX

would 18% oil be sufficient and can someone please tell me what does the oil really does. aid for cooling?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:22 AM
downunder

The only thing oil does is reduce the friction inside the engine. It doesn't carry away any appreciable amount of heat because each rev there's such a tiny amount of oil going out the exhaust. If your engine runs cooler by using more oil then there wasn't enough in the fuel in the first place.

This'll start some arguments
Old 09-07-2019, 10:28 AM
TheCommentator

Talking

Originally Posted by downunder
The only thing oil does is reduce the friction inside the engine. It doesn't carry away any appreciable amount of heat because each rev there's such a tiny amount of oil going out the exhaust. If your engine runs cooler by using more oil then there wasn't enough in the fuel in the first place.

This'll start some arguments
(in the voice of Morgan Freeman) "...But in fact, thru the years, this did not start any arguments..."

just in case you're wondering, I came across this post 'cause I'm also wanting to mix my own fuel... good thread.