Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

Fuel %, spark plug needs for T-Maxx 3.3

Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Fuel %, spark plug needs for T-Maxx 3.3

Old 10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Compstall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel %, spark plug needs for T-Maxx 3.3

I'm a newbie in the R/C stuff, and I just picked up a slightly used T-Maxx 3.3 from a guy for a steal. He's put a big fat cooling head on it and a better filter setup. It's still running the stock exhaust. In the last 2 days of ownership, MAN these things are high maintenance, but I enjoy it. Found a broken head bolt and fixed that problem. Runs much better now.

I have no clue what size plug he's running in it now. There are no stampings or identification of any sort on the plug. He gave me an extra plug (new in package), and it's an MC-59 plug. This plug is a tad longer than the plug that's currently in the engine. Now I know that longer/shorter plugs are colder/hotter. What's the best type of plug to run w/ 20% Nitro?

What if I want to buy a 30% nitro or higher, will I need a different size plug? I did read that with higher levels of Nitro you want to raise the thickness of your head gaskets. I've ordered a set of gaskets for this.

Anyone have some good advice for a newbie or got a good link where I can get my fuel/spark plug answers?

Oh yeah, and does anyone use anything other than blue locktite on certain items in the car? I used red for the head bolts...

TIA

- Brent
Old 10-15-2006, 08:14 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel %, spark plug needs for T-Maxx 3.3

plug length doesnt matter for nitro, a hotter plug is a thinner element which lights up earlier causing more advanced timing, and vise versa for a colder plug, for 20% nitro an mc-59 should be fine, and there is no need to run 30% nitro in an engin like that, you should only run 30% in race engines, otherwise you are paying more per gallon and not getting that much of a use out of the extra nitro, for higher nitro you need to lower compression by adding a head shim, more nitro needs a cooler plug, and they arent called spark plugs, they dont spark, they are glow plugs (they glow bright orange) also, DONT USE THREADLOCK ON THE ENGINE HEAD, EXPECIALLY RED LOCKTITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never use red locktite on anything on an rc, red is way too strong, you should use locktite on heads anyhow, the screws cook themselves in place, red locktite will make ti so tight you will strip your screws then you will have a big problem on your hand, just use the search button and you will get results quicker, also, next time dont post a thread like this in the fuel forum, post it in the engines forum
Old 10-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Compstall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I'll yank those head bolts out and use blue.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:34 AM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont even use threadlock on head bolts, only use blue threadlock on the car on metal to metal contacts