Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Mixing Diesel Fuel, anyone do it? >

Mixing Diesel Fuel, anyone do it?

Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Mixing Diesel Fuel, anyone do it?

Old 02-16-2002, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing Diesel Fuel, anyone do it?

Hi guys: I am new to this site and I think I am going to like it. Just wondering who if anyone mixes their own diesel, for the Davis Diesel heads. I aquired one recently and have it on a OS Max 50. Any ideas? Thanks Steve
Old 02-16-2002, 02:29 AM

I haven't used diesels for many many years but the old formula used to be equal parts of ether/kerosine/castor oil. Addition of an ignition improver such as amyl nitrate (1 to 1.5%), amyl nitrite (2 to 2.5%) or IPN (1 to 2%) made for easier starting and smoother running with less compression.
Old 02-16-2002, 02:45 AM

Thanks downunder:

Now I just have to find where to get all the stuff it takes. Sometimes in Alaska these things can be hard to find..
I used to be hydraulic mechanic on Jets years ago. Airplanes are sorta addicting.. Just moved back to Alaska and have to get established again... have a great day Steve
Old 02-16-2002, 03:35 AM

Default Economics

Don't you have to keep the diesels running all the time in Alaska because of the temperature??

Seriously, when running diesel 40 years ago on the Canadian prairies in winter I found Glow was much easier to work with!

Old 02-16-2002, 04:23 AM

This will be mostly a summer time deal. And our winters are not as bad a some folks would have you believe. The whole last month has been in the 30 to 40 degrees F. Most of my engines are glow, just wanted to play with a diesel.... Steve
Old 03-08-2002, 11:39 PM

It was in a ama mag. once
1 part lamp oil, 1 part caster oil, 1 part starter fluid (canned stuff for starting stubborn lawn mowers or cars)
Old 03-18-2002, 10:57 AM

Default Diesel

The three equal parts of ether, oil and kerosene is a viable alternative although somewhat out of the dark ages. With modern engines the following mix is probably more suitable.

20% your favourite oil, 35% Ether, 45% Kerosene or Jet A.

This mix can be somewhat modified for your personal tastes. In my high quality diesels and diesel conversions, I use 15% oil and increase the kerosene percentage (the power producer) accordingly. If you lower the oil percentage this much, I'd recommend only castor or perhaps 2/3 castor 1/3 synthetic. Be aware that a diesel will not "die" if slightly lean or overcompressed, but continue to run "hard". This will put enormous stress on the bearings and piston /liner and castor oil would be my preference for peace of mind. If you're worried about oil on your plane, perhaps diesels are not for you!

Ether is going to be difficult to obtain. I believe it is a controlled substance in The States, as it is used in the production of illicit substances. I obtain mine from the chemist shop (drug store) and initially brought along jugs of premixed oil/kerosene to have the ether mixed in as the proprietor would not sell it to me directly.

The only other ingredient you might like to add is an ignition improver for operation at high speed, say above 10,000 rpm. Either amyl nitrate or amyl nitrite at 2 to 3% is enough here and higher quantities will not improve performance. You will also get funny looks from your local chemist when you try to buy this stuff. Along with being used as a drug by heart patients, it is also a muscle relaxant and used for recreational perposes by certain minority members of the community, believe me, you don't want to know why! In any case not much is required, less than 1/4 oz per gallon. Try the same method as for obtaining ether.

Happy mixing!
Old 03-18-2002, 04:23 PM

Default Diesel Fuel

John Deere 80% starting fluid is reported to be actually 80% ether not 40-50% ether like comon auto starting fluid. There is a product for diesel truck fuel ( cetane booster ??? ) when I find the exact name I will update this post. that can be substituted for the amil nitrate. Sig sells castor oil. I've made small quanities that way. Why not call Eric Clutton and buy the premixed fuel? The Ball Bearing blend is 20% castor, 33% ether, 2% ignition improver and 45% k1 kerosene. Go to www.cafes.net/doctordiesel. PAW fuel is $19.00 a gallon and $7.00 shipping. Tower Hobbies sells Davis Diesel fuel. If you can get ether without problems mabey mix your own otherwise buy pre mix, no hassels it works.

Oily in Germantown

Francis S. Person
Old 06-05-2003, 11:00 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default diesel premix from Davis? some dumb ?

what do you add to the premixed Davis formula, Where do you get lamp oil or kerosene from?
Old 06-08-2003, 02:00 AM
My Feedback: (10)

I am thinking of trying some dieselsl myself. I want to make my own fuel though hopefully cheap. Ok heres what i am thinking of:

20% synthetic or regular tcw3 2 stroke oil for gasoline engines 30% starting fluid for the either content and the remaining part kerosene.
What do you guys think? Will the regular 2 stroke oil work since the kerosene is a petrolem based fuel like gasoline?
As far as the starting fluid goes I think its enough either in it to spray it into a measuring cup and mix it with the fuel and oil blend.