Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
 Different types of glow fuel question??? >

Different types of glow fuel question???

Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Different types of glow fuel question???

Old 05-11-2008, 02:50 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different types of glow fuel question???

I am currently using Byron Glow fuel with 10% nitro and 20% oil in my OS 40 LA and OS 52 4 stroke. It is just about gone and I have a gallon of fuel given to me from a friend that had no use for it. The gallon given to me is Byron Glow Fuel with 15% nitro and 16% oil. What is the advantages/disadvantages or do I need to be concerned of switching? One other concern is that I just bought a Saito 82 for my Astro Hog and it recommends using a 20% oil fuel. Can I use that new gallon with 16% oil or is that a no no? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Trent
Old 05-11-2008, 03:14 PM

Default RE: Different types of glow fuel question???

You are fine with the OS LA with your current fuel they are VERY forgiving engines.... but for your 4 stroke I would get a 20% oil fuel, with at least some Castor..

Many many threads on the benefits of Castor, but you will hear from just as many that the synthetics are Ok.. I would rather clean a plane and break down an engine to clean it than to replace an engine / bearings!

Just my .02 bet others will disagree with me, in the end read the threads and make your own mind up!!

Here is a GREAT thread on Saito's, read it and learn!!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5843055/tm.htm

Mike
Old 05-13-2008, 11:29 AM

I would add 7 or 8 ounces of castor oil to the gallon that only has 16%. You can get a pint for about $8 from Omni or Tower. Sometimes you can find it at a motorcycle or go-kart shop. Here's the link, wih a picture of the bottle, at Omni. SIG also sells castor oil.
http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=KSFP1175&P=0

Adding 7 ounces to a full gallon would give a final mix of:
20.36% oil
14.22% nitromethane
65.42% methanol

Adding 8 ounces to a full gallon would give a final mix of:
20.94% oil
14.12% nitromethane
64.94% methanol

I'd probably do 8 ounces because it's a simpler measurement for me than 7, and a little extra oil will not hurt anything. Whether you run fuel with castor all the time or not is really personal preference. I mostly use fuels with all synthetic oil, but, that is my preference.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Mike and Carrell on adding the castor. Like mentioned there will be those who disagree but the Saito's need the castor to control cam pitting and wear. Before I converted my Saito 91 to gasoline/spark I ran castor/synth blend glow fuel in it with no ill effects. There were those who told me it wouldn't survive being run on gasoline/oil mix either but it just keeps on a ticking like a fine watch.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the input. I just learned a somewhat valuable lesson.... I filled up my plane (just bought it on an auction and got it all trimmed up and ready to fly when weather permits so I couldn't wait to at least drive it around) with the 15% nitro/16% oil and taxi'd it around in my alley way. I was in a hurry and left my hand crank fuel pump on the floor of my basement cause I was going to pump out the plane's fuel tank when I brought it back in. I didn't get to pumping it out till about a day later and all my fuel had siphoned (sp?) out of my 1 gallon jug onto my carpet (lucky it was junk carpet). After filling my tank I always reverse the crank to pump the fuel in the line back into the jug, but there must have been just enough in the line to siphon the fuel out. Anyways..... looks like i need to make a quick run to my LHS and get some more fuel. Too bad it's right at an hour away so I'm tryin' to find someone local who's going and I'll get them to pick me up some. Looks like I'll just get the right fuel that I need with 20% oil (the Byron fuel is a synthetic/castor blend). I've been using 10% nitro but 15% is available also. Is the 15% just a little more snappier?? Is it OK to run in 4 strokes? Thanks for your advice!

Trent
Old 05-13-2008, 03:43 PM

My brother and I used 10% nitro exclusively, and couldn't see any reason to spend extra for 15%. We got a good deal on 2 cases of 15% and started using it. In OS & Magnum .91 four strokes we get about 800 rpm higher (on the ground) with the 15%. That doesn't sound like a lot but it really is enough to notice when flying.

We're now "sold" on 15% and use it in two strokes as well as four strokes. In the Saito manual, the prop recommendations are based on using 15% nitro.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Banned

You must be rich ;-)

I see that people are predicting a shortage of nitro in the coming months and (to go with it) a significant spike in the price.

Flying with higher nitro contents will become rather expensive.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: XJet

You must be rich ;-)

I see that people are predicting a shortage of nitro in the coming months and (to go with it) a significant spike in the price.

Flying with higher nitro contents will become rather expensive.

why should there be shortage of nitro???

Nitro Methane is made from natural gas and last I heard there was no shortage of that stuff and only some minor price increases

heck who knows except they got more ways to rip our faces than we can imagine

Balsaeater
Old 05-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Banned

The story I heard (admittedly just hearsay) is that the major Chinese producer (one factory) is closing down until after the Olympics (something to do with preserving the air quality I suppose).

I also wonder if the earthquake caused any issues at that factory.

One thing we can be sure of is that with oil prices (in fact *all* energy prices) on the way up, Nitro will be costing more.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:17 PM

Your 15% nitro, is that with 20% castor/synthetic blend? I am needing to get another gallon of fuel tomorrow and since I'm so rich I just pour out the fuel that I'm not sure about j/k ;-). I'm debating to get the 10/20 fuel or 15/20. The LHS owner is recommending 10/20. I'm all for a little more punch in my engine, but I don't want to buy two different types of fuel. Thanks for the notes from you all!

Trent
Old 05-14-2008, 11:34 AM

I use one fuel for everything, 15% nitro and 20% full synthetic oil.

I'm definitely not rich but do prefer 15% nitro. If it gets too expensive I'll go back to 10% or even less, but, I really do not use a lot of fuel. I have a .61 two stroke, a couple of .70 four strokes, and a few .91 four strokes. A typical 10 minute flight uses less than 12 ounces so a gallon gives me quite a few flights. I can currently buy 15% glow fuel for $15 (or less) per gallon so a flight costs less than $1.50

I'm more concerned over my gasoline cost than my airplane fuel. My truck gets 14-16 mpg. Round trip to the field is 90 miles. That's between $20 & $25 in gas every time. My brother lives between my house and the field. We've been riding together quite a bit. This limits the number of planes that can go, but it does cut the driving expense in half.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:03 PM

Re:carrellh
$25 is lot for you but leess than me

Ex for me the same fuel at those MPG would cost me ~$50
mine is a small compact jp hatch back with USA gallon ~35MPG if I go easy on the right foot

the glow fuel with that formula 15% nitro 20% synthetic would be double yours easy say ~$40 to ~$ 50 a USA gallon

My 20 onz tank on that formula for my MVVS 160 or Saito 180 would cost me possibly more $3 a flight

Gasoline at europes prices $7 a gal is a no brainer for those who fly big planes a lot

I mostly do electric and the electric smaller planes get the most flying

If gasoline and glow prices double for me it makes even a 14s 10000mha Lipo solution start to look cheaper

Anyway a chemical friend of mine said to me the big USA Nitro manufactuering place is in USA middle for nowhere a desert place in Arizona or New Mexico (I forget exactly ) in case it goes bang like one of them did in the past and that took out the whole towns suburbs and made nitro expensive for a few years

I suspect the price hike in nitro is just all part of this fuel price hikes and gouging methods the big oil companies are up to and the chemical companies see a chance to gouge as well and lets blame the Chinese this time

Then next year prices drop back down and we are all much poorer and the chemicals and oil companies are swimming in our cash

balsaeater
Old 05-16-2008, 01:28 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Spectrum Chemicals in Callifornia is a manufacturer. I found ANGUS in Buffalo, NY that manufactures nitromethane. I assume there are others.

The interesting thing that I found while looking this up is the number of nitro manufacturers in China and India.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Banned

Be careful when trawling the Net for suppliers of anything.

It's not at all uncommon (at least in China) for people to claim they are a manufacturer when in fact they're simply a reseller.

For example, I've found about four companies that claim to make the DL50 engines but there is actually only one the rest simply resell that product although they claim otherwise.