Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Can Castor Oil go Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Castor Oil go Bad?

Hi Guys,

I want to bump up the oil content in a gallon of cool power from 17% to 18% for my new OS Max .91 Surpass engine. From the help I have already recieved that equates to about 1.5 oz's of oil to the 128 oz's of fuel. My question is I have some castor oil I purchased 4-5 maybe 6 years ago. I opened it and removed about 2 ounces all together back then. So the quart is almost full. I kept it it in my basement which is a finished basement and the temp is around 60 to 65 degrees all year round. It has never been opened since (5-6 yrs ago). Does it go bad ? Is it still good ? Is it OK to use an ounce and a half of it ?

Thanks in advance

Ed
Old 06-25-2008, 05:06 PM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: Can Castor Oil go Bad?

Yes, castor oil can go bad (rancid).

The easiest way to tell if yours is okay is to use your eyes and your nose.

Good castor should be clear (not cloudy) and can be anywhere from a very light straw color to a gold color but certainly not dark brown.

Have a sniff good castor is almost odorless and should not smell at all unpleasant or "bad".

If it passes those two tests you should be okay.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:12 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Castor very slowly oxidises if left in contact with air over a long time. It gets darker and becomes more treacly which is basically what happens to an engine run on castor that's been stored for a long time. With your castor being in a sealed container it should be fine.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:48 AM
freeair

what you should do with this castor is tip it into a clear container with the use of a filter so any sediment from the original can will not go into the container, a perfect filter for this is a small piece of a womans stocking. now observe the color of the castor if its pretty much clear and not honey in colour, it will be fine. find a new can with a good sealed lid to replace the strained oil.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Open the cap, you'll know immediatly if it has gone rancid.
There should be no sediment in the bottle unless it has gone rancid or started molding, in iether case the only thing its good for is treating the yard for mole infestation.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:41 PM
YUKONFLYR

I have had a gallon of castor around for several years.
It has been frozen and rethawed, left in a box, when opened but capped
the only thing it did was to precipitate out white flakes which I got to go back into
solution by putting the gallon in a sink full of hot water, for a few hours. Still using it to
amend Morgans Omega.......

My Jug sure has been hard to make go bad, chances are yours is good to, so long as its a pale yellow color ect and smells good

Richard