Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

How Do I Fuel Up?

Old 05-23-2003, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Fuel Up?

I am new to RC. Have a trainer with an OS 40 engine. I am ready to run in the engine before going to the field to find an experienced wizard to help get me flying and want to have all the non-flying things understood so I can spend field time learning to fly.
Of all the info available I have found nothing that clearly explains how to fill the tank. Would like to use and understand the setup I have before going to more efficient/faster methods. Have a hand crank pump and a set of fuel can fittings (Great Planes).
Jug & fittings
The fuel pickup line with clunk/filter is installed into one of the two holes drilled into the jug cap....that's simple.
A fitting is installed into the second cap hole. Is this fitting an open vent used during pumping from the jug? I assume the fuel probe (has a small "O" ring) is connected to the fuelup point to fill the plane's tank then place back into that fitting during de-fueling and to keep the jug sealed from air. Am I wrong?
Filling the Tank
I have two lines from the tank...fuel line with clunk and pressure line from muffler. The fuel inlet (just before the needle valve) is a tedious reach to be disconnecting for each fuelup. Do I have to fill there? If the fill is done anywhere after the needle valve I assume the needle valve has to be opened to allow fuel to flow past to get into the tank. The line between the outlet and the carb is easily accessible. I understand that flooding fuel into the muffler isn't good but can filling the tank from the pressure line be done?

I understand this is probably a no-brainer for experienced folks but I have read and understood all instructions and tips of just about every other aspect of beginning RC airplanes. Of the many sites and articles I have read I have found none that explain the ABC's of the actual process of fueling and defueling the airplane using this basic equipment on a trainer model. Any help from anyone is GREATLY appreciated.
Jim
Old 05-24-2003, 02:28 AM

If you want to stay with the set up you already have then you must fill through the line that feeds the carb. The line that goes to the muffler is where the air gets out of the tank. Disconnect this line from the muffler to avoid filling it with fuel but don't forget to reconnect it when the tank is full. With this system though, the brass pressure line must be bent up to the top of the tank because you can only fill up to the open end of that line.

I find the better way to fill is by using a third line out of the tank. Your stopper should have a blanked off third hole in it so simply push a length of brass tube through it. Bend this up to the top of the tank and use it as the vent line and fill through the muffler pressure line. If both the third line and the muffler pressure line go to the top then either can be used to fill/vent through but keep the ends away from each other. If you use this method then remember to reconnect the line to the muffler and blank off the end of the vent line. There are little plastic plugs made for this purpose but anything that seals the line and won't fall out is OK. Even a small screw will do the trick because the threads lock it into place in the silicone tubing.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:50 AM

Thank You...your reply is most helpful. I want to keep this fueling operation as simple as possible while I'm learning other stuff even if it takes more time to fill the tank.
About the fuel probe in the fittings set....is the second hole (not the fuel pickup line in the jug cap fittings set) probably open to vent the jug while fueling meant to replace the fuel probe back into after fueling and keeping the jug unopened to air? Besides venting the jug, I don't see another use for that hole. Thanks again...
Jim
Old 05-24-2003, 02:14 PM

Oops, sorry, I forgot about that other question. The fuel jug MUST be sealed airtight whenever you're not actually using it so if the end of the filling line has an O ring that goes nicely into the fitting on top of the jug then I'd think that's what it's made for. It both seals the jug and does away with a loose fuel line end.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:40 PM

you can't fill from the preassure line because the clunk is at the bottom, remember? fuel will jsut squirt out, and it will never fill up. du-bro makes a filler dohikie, where you put the line from the tank onto one nipple, and the one going to the engine on the other. you put your filler in, and it cuts off flow to the carb, so it only fills the tank. it mounts to the side of your fuselage. the only drawback is that you have to drill a hole in the side of your fuselage in order to mount it.