Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Question on Center of Tank Location >

Question on Center of Tank Location

Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Question on Center of Tank Location

Old 06-04-2003, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Center of Tank Location

Iím finishing a GP Spacewalker. The engine is inverted so I lowered the tank so the center is level with the carburetor. Then I started thinking, dangerous I know.

The reason for lowering the tank is to prevent the fuel from siphoning to the carburetor. But this airplane is a Tail dragger and when on the ground the fuel clunk is a lot lower than the carburetor. If the tank is not lowered then in flight when the plane is level the tank is slightly higher than the carburetor.

Wouldnít this be an advantage ? The engine would have less work to siphon the fuel. For example a most Cessnaís have high tanks and use gravity feed would this work the same way ?

Thanks,

Gary
Old 06-04-2003, 02:54 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question on Center of Tank Location

Until you roll inverted (which few Cessna's are setup to do) and your now rich engine suddenly runs lean because the tank is now lower than the spray bar. Unless your engine has a pump, you really want the tank centered on the spray bar.

John