Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

magnum fuel

Old 06-12-2003, 01:12 AM
maac-45419

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnum fuel

I bought some Magnum fuel at a swap meet. It is #2 2 c
ycle "PRO"formance blend.Does anyone know the nitro content

,type of oil and the oil content. Thank You.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Dr Nitro

Default magnum fuel

When traveling out west a couple years ago, I won a gallon of magnum at a fly-in as a door prize. If not mistaken, it was the same blend you mention. I asked the guys at the fly-in what was in the bottle and they did'nt have any idea. I looked around, not a single sole on the field had a Magnum bottle, the majority was Morgans and Wildcat and Red Max. So here's a fuel that not even the locals were running but they had a couple cases to give away.
Long story short, I took it home, inquired Magnum to no satisfaction on its contents. I took a chance and picked a well broken in Super Tiger 61 that had seen a steady diet of 15% and 10% nitro fuels. This Magnum blend did not run as well as what I was using at the time, and after a lot of needle twiddling I determined that it made better engine cleaner and weed killer than fuel.
If they're not willing to tell you what is in the bottle with at least basic information like nitro content and total oil content, let them keep their mystery.
Remember, fuel companies do not warranty engines, engine makers do and sometimes the end user has no warranty at all. The modeler needs to be able to make an educated decision because he / she is the one that needs to insure they are meeting the warranty requirements for oil content and in the correct nitro range. They can only make that educated decision when the contents are disclosed or the information is available.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:52 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default magnum fuel

One of our LHS sells Magnum fuels. I have asked what the contents of Nitro and Oil are and have never gotten a specific answer except that it was "whatever was right".

Here is a quote from Magnum's web page.

"Magnum Fuels are manufactured from the finest ingredients available. People constantly ask about the ingredients, want to know how much oil is in the fuel, or how much nitro is really in Magnum #1. There is no standard answer for how much oil, etc. Each type fuel is blended for a specific application. And the recipe for Magnum #1, #2 and #3 is our little secret. Our stock answer is ‘it has nitromethane, methanol, synthetic oil, and a few other things……….’. The vast majority of our customers are very satisfied with the price performance of the fuel and we are keeping it that way.

Please see the FAQ section for specific questions and answers about our products and fuels in general. "

I did check and the 'FAQ' section is currently "under construction".

I agree with Dr Nitro. They can keep it. I have too many choices where I do know what is in the bottle including another LHS where the owner mixes his own. You can watch him make a batch - no secrets there.

Magnum fuels (at least locally) are somewhat less expensive than Morgan's or Powermaster (the other major brands sold locally) so all we can do is speculate on the reason(s).

Dan
Old 06-12-2003, 08:49 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default magnum fuel

I love Magnum fuel. Who cares what the oil content is as long as it doesn't cause early engine wear/failure? In fact, my experience shows that engines actually hold up BETTER on his fuels than other brands. Oil percentage doesn't mean jack if the oil is junk. The quality of the oil is more important than some generic % when you don't even know what's in the jug. Powermaster used to get the same grief when Don Nix owned the business, because he wouldn't tell anyone how much oil was in the can, but engines never had any problems running it.

I've run many, many gallons of #1 2-stroke through YS 1.20's, OS BGX, OS .48, Enya .53, OS .25VF and YS .60FR, and never saw anything but exceptional running from the engines. The engines idle, transition and WOT better than anything else I have tried to date. I have "heard" that #1 puts out approximately 20% nitro and #2 is approximate to 30%. Given that, it's no wonder the old Supertiger didn't run right. It probably couldn't handle that hot of a fuel.

Magnum fuels are very consistent and produce extremely good power vs. cost when compared to other fuels available. Buzz knows what he's doing. I'll take his fuel over any other. Period!

John
Old 06-15-2003, 04:27 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnum Fuel

John, I couldn't agree with you more. I too have used Magnum for the last 10+ years and am very pleased with it. In response to maac-45419, it would be very interesting to know when the fuel you bought at a swap meet was manufactured since the 'Pro'formance stickers haven't been used for many, many years now. Dr Nitro, I understand your concern over oil content, however, it is not well founded in the current RC fuel business. While you may think you know what is in RedMax, or Cool Power or Wildcat, my bet is you really don't. Oil content is basically a myth that fliers hang onto because they can't understand the transition that occured about 10 years ago to synthetic oils to replace castor/synthetic based fuels. There is no magic oil content, one size does not fit all. Interestingly enough, some of the newer fuels actually have more oil (different blends) in them (particularly for helis) than we normally think, 22-24% is not uncommon. On the other hand, other blends have actually reduced oil content with the advent of better synthetics. But as John stated, the only thing that is truly important is what wear life you get with a particular blend. Magnum is the best I fuel I can find for engine wear life. I recently tore down a friends YS140L with over 350 runs (pattern type) on it using Magnum 15% and we decided it did not need rebuilding, bearings were good, ring wear was minimal and very little carbon build up on the exhaust valve stem. You also might want to chk out which fuels are being used by the heli guys at the upcoming Xtreme Heli Invitational Flyin in Dayton next weekend. I approx 1/3 of the top USA heli fliers in this contest are using Magnum and I can guarantee they are not using it to 'kill weeds' around their pit area!!! In 1997, Magnum fuel users swept the Pattern Nationals (took all the first places). Multiple fliers are using it at the USA F3A Team Trials going on right now. Sorry to go on and on here, but the type sniping stated above is not informative or useful I just had to stick my nose in. If you have a good fuel you like, then use it, but don't try to knock or talk down something you don't really have any knowledge of. You aren't helping anyone.

Don Atwood
Old 06-15-2003, 09:00 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Default magnum fuel

Thank you Don. You are absolutely correct about people not knowing what's really in a jug of fuel. Just because the label states a number, doesn't mean you know what it means. Is that % based on weight or content? What kind (brand and specific type) is it? How good is the methanol or nitro? What are the other additives thrown in to the mix. Everyone gets up in arms about their hobby fuel, but few really know what they are talking about. With as much excitement as there is about fuel, you would think people would be as adamant about the fuel they put in their cars, but very few are. Bottom line: find something that gives you the performance you desire out of your engines and run it. Just because it doesn't have a sticker on it stating the oil content, doesn't mean it should be avoided, nor does it mean they are trying to hide anything other than their proprietary recipe.

John
Old 06-16-2003, 03:56 AM
downunder-RCU

Default magnum fuel

It doesn't really matter if the jug is just labelled "Glow Fuel". Buy it and try it. At worst all you're up for is another engine
Old 06-16-2003, 02:38 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Default magnum fuel

You could have the same problem with a jug labeled 20% oil, 10% nitro, 70% methanol. If the quality of the components is junk, the fuel is junk no matter what the label says. See? You still don't really know what's in the mix, do you?

The only real way to get around this is to research the various components and mix your own. Oh yeah, and you're still going to have to go on faith that the supplier sold you the right stuff and not some mislabeled jug!

John
Old 06-16-2003, 08:13 PM
Pheasant Slayer

Default magnum fuel

I have run Magnum in all of my Heli motors and they still look new. No strange wear , bearings are good and no rust spots. I'm even running the same glow plug after 18 mo. And best of all, no brown liver spots from castor.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:15 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Default magnum fuel

Sounds like junk fuel to me!

John
Old 06-16-2003, 08:52 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Default magnum fuel

What is the big deal with Magnum fuel? I called the company and got the oil percentages for one of their fuels I was using but they wouldn't tell me the percentage of castor to synthetic. Needless to say, I won't buy anymore.

This argument that straight synthetic oils are better than a castor/syn blend is hogwash. Pure synthetics are good but they still cannot offer the same protection against a lean run than a castor/syn blend.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:56 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Default magnum fuel

So don't run your engine lean. I'm not sure about everyone else, but that was the first thing I was taught before I fired up my first engine for the first time.

Magnum fuel is excellent. As we have stated before, just because you don't know what is in the jug, which you don't with ANY commercial fuel because YOU are not the one mixing it, doesn't mean it's bad or has something to hide other than the manuf's proprietary recipe that they are trying to protect.

John
Old 06-17-2003, 12:11 AM
Dr Nitro

Default magnum fuel

Woodie:
Well, maybe if I actually knew what nitro percentage was in there, I would have tried it in an engine that was a little lower compressed to handle a higher nitro percentage. Maybe I should have run it in my YS 91 or 120 or one of my Saito's or even in one of my heli's? I guess I would have been in for a real treat if I had run it in one of my Lapped Iron, bushing Fox engines which like high percentages of castor and very little nitro. If I had damaged one of my Fox lapped/bushed engines, would the fuel company have fixed it for me?, I doubt it. See what I mean when I say I like to know the contents.
I run several different fuel blends since one blend does not fit all. I am certainly not going to put a low nitro / high castor control line fuel in my YS engines, and I'm not putting 30% heli fuel in a lapped engine. On average, I will run about 150 gallons total of all types per year. When it comes to looking at wear on an engine, yes, I can tell. I may not be a "Fuel Expert" such as a few of the manufacturers, but I do know which engines need which type of fuel, and I do use fuel by a manufacturer that does list contents by volume and has 20% in all his airplane blends. Cooper's even lists the amount of synthetic and castor as well as the nitro. Yes, Don Nix had the same philosophy as magnum, and I did'nt use his powermaster fuel either.

For heli's, I have over 94 gallons through the same YS 61 and over a hundred through an OS 61WC, (wish the helis would last as long as the engines). Yep they're older now but they put out great power and fantastic reliability. I guess my fuel is good too!
I know competitive heli guys flying magnum 30 heli and they used to fly cool power when it was free or dirt cheap too, now that I think of it, they ran powermaster when the same free / cheap thing occured.

As far as being used in certain events with pattern or heli, keep in mind that the vast majority of these guys competing won't fly anything if they have to pay for it, or pay anywhere close to retail. So don't judge a fuel by so many wins in contests, these guys and gals are going to place just as well if they used almost any brand of fuel. Show me a national competator in heli, pattern or any high profile event that makes his own decisions on what he flys for fuel and pays retail like the rest of us or at leas darn close to it, I'll then give the "event hype" a lot more credibility.

Bottom line is; You tell me what is in the bottle, I'll make my own dicisions based on that. I will trust the company that labels fuel to insure the contents are as listed. The "Just trust me, its fine" philosophy don't cut it. If the blend with full disclosure does'nt work for me, I'll try another one that has full disclosure. I can tell when a lubricant is doing its job or not after a few gallons, so finding out does not take long.
Am I as picky with my automobile gas and oil, you bet!, I know the grade I'm putting in because its disclosed on the pump, and for oil, the grade and the SAE classification is clearly listed on the bottle.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:27 AM
downunder-RCU

Default magnum fuel

Although it's good advice to never run your engine lean it overlooks minor annoyances such as a bit of carbon from muffler pressure getting through to the needle (if you don't use an in line filter) or the pressure line falling off or the muffler coming loose or falling apart. Any one of these can give an instant very lean run that a bit of castor can help with. Not that fuel is a problem for me because I mix my own
Old 06-18-2003, 10:49 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default magnum fuel

wbrc:

Well, thanks for your input here. I noticed this is your first post and your profile is sort of thin!!

Funny, you don't follow you own advice...

"I guess no one has ever taught you guys the correct public etiquette...it goes a little something like this... "If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all..."

I also did not make the comment about the weed-killer, that was made by another person. If you are going to personally bash a poster here at least make sure you put the correct post to the correct poster. I merely copied some of what Buzz had on his webpage, made reference to his pointing readers to his FAQ section which is currently "under construction".

Nor did I bash anyone - I merely stated my position that I do not buy fuel that I don't know what is in it.

I figure that fuel is a commodity. It has methanol, oil and nitro (maybe). I use what my engine mfg. recommends and that is my choice as it is my money.

As to you, I have this reply - GFY.

Dan
Old 06-18-2003, 03:43 PM
mvigod
Banned

Default magnum fuel

No personal attacks or insults per RCU rules fellas. Keep it friendly and informative and leave the personal stuff at the door or your posts will be removed and the thread locked down. Let's all be mature about this topic.

Thank you.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:25 PM
wbrc

Default Posts Withdrawn...

I have withdrawn my posts.
Didn't mean to break any rules...

WBRC
Old 07-30-2003, 04:33 AM
dcknowles

Default Magnum fuel content and percentages

After reading what Powermaster fuels has to say about oil content (www.powermasterfuels.com) I've decided to use a synthetic/castor blend. The only problem is, Powermaster is hard to find around here (Utah), and Magnum fuel is easy to find. So I emailed Magnum fuel, and got a response today. Are you ready? Here goes: "Buzz" wrote "Total oil is 18% and 5% of the 18% being castor."

The Magnum fuel secret is out of the bag! I hope Buzz doesn't fired for this!