Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Can I???

Old 07-18-2003, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I???

Got a half gallon of Bryon brand 4 stroke fuel. Can I run this in my 2 strokes?? (OS FP 40, MVVS and Irvine engines)

How about in my RC Buggy??? (OS CVX .12)

Got a new YS 4 stroke 53 only thing avaible around here is Bryon Brand 4 stroke fuel. I don't want to run it cuz, only 18% oil and some of that is castor. (Castor Oil if for tummy aches) What should I do??
Old 07-19-2003, 10:26 AM
My Feedback: (62)

Default I'll Take A Stab At It

As far as the 18% oil in the engines you listed, the general answer is yes. The more specific answer is that you can't try to get the last blessed rpm out of the engine while tuning. Tune for peak, and then back off a few hundred rpm. If the plane still won't fly, there are other issues. I've run 5% nitro 18% oil in my MVVS, Rossi and Thunder Tiger for years in my profiles with great results. Back in the late 90's when Tony Ayer was flying for Morris Hobbies, both he and Walter told me to use the 18% oil. It improves transition and will be fine.

As far as your .12 engine, You didn't mention the nitro content of the fuel. In general, the smaller engines need more, and the bigger engines need less to none.

What fuel does YS recommend for the YS. Back in my pattern days we ran 20/20 in our YS's. 20% Nitro, 20% Oil, all synthetic. Check the instruction sheet and let me know_bob
Old 07-19-2003, 12:17 PM

Default Thanks

I figured the only thing I can do is get some 20/20 next time I drive down to the city. That's what YS suggests, so that's what I'll use.

The Byron available at my LHS is 18 % oil for both 2 stroke and 4 stroke. The label doesn't give much for details on either bottle so I didn't know for sure if I should use 4 stroke fuel in 2 strokes.

For the little cv 12 I didn't know what to get, first gasser car. I took their recommendation Blue Thunder, 20% nitro and ??% oil, the bottle doesn't say. It works alright but I think the oil isn't high enough. Have to rebuild pretty often it seems.

I think I'll add a little oil to the Blue for longer lasting engine.

If it won't hurt the 2 strokes, I'll just burn the rest of the bottle of 4 stroke in them. Same oil and nitro content in both but it smells different (better actually, dear God, I love the smell of burning glo fuel!!!) so I didn't know if it was safe.

I'm not that concerned about absolute max rpm so that's not a problem, but for the car, I'll buy the 30 % next time and probably add a little oil.
I found some guys at another town who order their own fuel, I think I'll contact them next time they order. I don't know what brand they use but I'm sure they pay less.

On 2 strokes, I always tune (by ear) for max then back off til I see some smoke and away we go. Seems to work and no problem with engine longevity. But, on the new 4 stroke, I think I'll be shopping for a good tach. I have very little 4 stroke experience and I don't want to ruin it right off the bat.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2003, 02:10 PM
My Feedback: (62)

Default Can I???

The tach is a good idea for the 4 stroker. Almost a must. Just can't tune those babies like a 2 stroke. Add a little oil to the 18% and run it in your 2 strokes. It'll be ok_bob