Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

How to clean old fuel/oil out of a bottle?

Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

How to clean old fuel/oil out of a bottle?

Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 PM
NeveSSL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean old fuel/oil out of a bottle?

Hi all,

I just got an old field box that's got a neat built-in fuel tank. The problem is that its got some rather nasty crud left in it after everything else evaporated. Its mostly blue with some oil blobs and there is some weird dried stuff on the edges.

Anyway, whats the best way to clean this stuff up? Preferably without using more fuel. Is rubbing alcohol good to break some of this stuff up and get it out?

I will eventually get another field box that I just strap my fuel jug to, but for now I'm gonna go with this one. I've got a feeling its probably from the mid-80s... just like me! *bad joke sound*

Brandon
Old 09-04-2010, 12:51 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to clean old fuel/oil out of a bottle?

Hey Brandon.....rubbing alky has water in it......if you have some methanol alky put some in there and shake it up a bit....or some fuel....like 6oz would work too....probably better....even if you dont want to....HEH.
With the price of fuel these days....I dont blame ya.....
Make sure to use a filter in the filling hose and in the plane too.....keps the big chunks under control.

Dave...
Old 09-04-2010, 07:39 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rubbing alcohol comes in different strengths. The 90% Isopropanol verson will be fine for the first rinse in the tank. Let the tank soak a while after you shake it some. Then shake some more.

Finish up with a little bit of old fuel for a final rinse.

Use a filter
Old 09-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try soap and water as well.  Just let it dry out before using.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:30 PM
NeveSSL

Thanks all,

I ended up using 90% alcohol for the first two washings and then 15% nitro for the last one. Its since been drying out for the last 4 days or so. I will probably do one more small fuel flush before getting everything spiffed up tonight since my GP fuel can fittings came in from Tower today.

Brandon
Old 09-10-2010, 03:33 PM
NeveSSL

BTW, love your John Force quote. That guy cracks me up and makes me love NHRA all the more!

Brandon