RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Fuels (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-fuels-161/)
-   -   Synthetic Oil in lieu of Castor (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-fuels-161/1209444-synthetic-oil-lieu-castor.html)

Agilefalcon 10-17-2003 03:59 PM

Synthetic Oil in lieu of Castor

Has anyone worked with a synthetic oil in place of castor in their diesel fuel mix? I never use castor in my glow engines and they (and the model) stay clean and carbon free.

Any commercial synthetic oil mixes available?

Chris Berardi.

(MVVS .15 diesel).

Jim Thomerson 10-17-2003 04:57 PM

RE: Synthetic Oil in lieu of Castor

Recent cans of Davis 1/2A fuel have been pink. One wonders if there is some Klotz in there.

Jim

sigrun 10-17-2003 05:27 PM

I've used synthetic in conjunction with castor, but not standalone.

Low percentile synth-castor mixes are commonly used in diesel racing & combat engines today. Given the stress and heat generated in diesel operation, the addition of castor is still desirable for its superior thermal resistance and viscosity.

I've little doubt that a diesel engine would run on a straight synthetic, but overcompression or lean running certainly become more critical as would internal component lubrication.

Klotz, Motul, Castrol or any one of the petroleum miscible, premix suitable, true fully synthetic motorcycle oils work well mixed with castor in diesels. IMO it's only worthwhile if you're trying to obtain maximum power for limited capacity constrained by competition rules. For sport flying, just buy a larger capacity engine. If you're after a cleaner model, although diesel emission is a brownish goo, IMO&E it doesn't make sufficient voluminous mess that glows do to warrant running synthetic for that purpose. Carbonisation also isn't the same issue that it is with glow operation.

Haven't seen a commercial diesel fuel containing synthetic oil. In fact, I haven't seen an economically viable commercial model diesel fuel in an age. Rocking horse sh*t is easier to find over here![X(]

gcb 10-18-2003 04:55 AM

For glow engines, on an iron/steel piston/cylinder setup sometimes burned castor imbeds itself into the pores of the iron and increases the seal to compensate for excessive wear. When a synthetic is introduced to that setup sometimes the piston is cleaned, leaving you with an engine that is much more worn than you thought. Switching back to all castor will usually let the castor restore some compression. I have never used synthetic in a diesel (that I know of), does this affect diesels also?
This does not occur in an ABC setup since the high silicon alloy piston does not collect the burned castor.

George

Agilefalcon 10-20-2003 01:49 PM

FHS Red Max fuel have told me that they've custom mixed fuel for diesels at 100% synthetic. So, I guess it certainly is doable.

I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Chris.
MVVS .15 diesel.

DerFly 10-21-2003 06:41 AM

Currently running 30% Ether, 55% Kerosene and 15% Motul Micro in a PAW 15 TBR. PAW recomend 15% Castor once the engine is fully run in. I broke this engine in on 29% Castor and recently switched fuel. Initial thoughts are that power and economy are up. Too early to tell long term positives or negatives though.