Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Red Cat Rampage 1/5th Scale

Old 09-28-2010, 10:16 AM
trickle007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Cat Rampage 1/5th Scale

How is the quality on this truck?.... My nephews 17th birthday is at the end of October and I going to buy him an rc truck just dont want to buy him a pos. I was looking at this one price seems to good,http://www.largescalerc.com/newrampa...-version2.aspx

Old 09-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Red Cat Rampage 1/5th Scale

The rampage is a decent truck but because it need work out of the box to strengthen it up and it comes with a non Zenoah or CY motor... I would recommend going for a nutech, for a little bit more you get a very very durable truck and a CY motor.

Look at www.zerogravityrc.com or www.vancouverhobbies.com for nutech models and prices.
I owned a Mega Monster truck and it was rock solid but I sold it off for a new Thunderbolt II SS kit.
Great trucks and a great price plus two good distributors. Vancouver also sells rampages too. www.davesmotors.com also sells rampages but their stock has been low, they do however give free exhaust pipes with some of their models.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:32 AM
trickle007

Thanks Sherv, I do like the Mega Monster Truck I might get it for myself over the the Hpi Baja because it is 4 wheel drive. and I just like trucks better then buggy's. How is the parts support for Nutech?

This Baja does look nice also http://www.zerogravityrc.com/klmodel...wd15scale.aspx
Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 AM
kidd

the rampage parts are way cheaper. see if you can locate a version 3. the rampages can be found on ebay in the $500 range. everyones first mod is replacing the plastic 25 tooth gears with steel.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

I know a lot of folks like spending each others money around here but the truth is how much will parts cost when you break something. The engine, servos and radios that come with most of these 5th scale RTR's suck without some type of replacement or upgrade. The real questions is how much you want to spend? Since, you looked at the Rampage, it is definitely less expensive than the other comparable setups (initial cost and replacement parts) I have the Dune Runner, KM Baja and MCD MT. To date the Baja has been modified the most due to wear and tear from crashing(not bashing). The Dune Runner has had its bumps but it has been very reliable (although I would suggest the TT or MT now) The MCD is my baby now but it cracks up just like the rest but with more typical results(time to buy some alloy diff casings). Hope that helps...
Old 09-28-2010, 07:02 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: trickle007

Thanks Sherv, I do like the Mega Monster Truck I might get it for myself over the the Hpi Baja because it is 4 wheel drive. and I just like trucks better then buggy's. How is the parts support for Nutech?

This Baja does look nice also http://www.zerogravityrc.com/klmodel...wd15scale.aspx
i have a King motors baja($525 new) but a saw one of these redcats in action racing against my KM baja. the 4wd gave WAY better handling/braking over my 2wd baja. but the top speed was about the same.
as to which is stronger or a better value....? i did pick the king motors baja because if anything does break, i can replace it with HPI baja parts, which are easy to find a known to be good. to my knowledge, only redcat makes parts/upgrades for their RC's.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

I forgot to mention the Kalee model 4wd available at ZeroGravity. It is close to a baja 5b so some parts can be interchanged. Ask Scott at ZG RC for details.

Honestly you have 3 great choises

Nutech

FG

Kalee

If you have to have a rampage then head to their forums (i dont recall the website) and they will tell you what issues need to be ironed out before you drive it like you stole it.

Also Redcat is coming out with a new 1/8 bugger layout 1/5th scale both in buggy and MT form. Again they come with non CY/Zenoah motors. Thats really the biggest thing that turns me off from rampage/xt, the motor.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

try rampagehopups.com rob have them in stock !
Old 09-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Ron E

the rampage does require some mods, servo's mainly, all depends how you drive them and how much power you thro at it. I have 2 v1's and love them... although I have beefed mine up a bit. for the money it's a good 1/5 scale, but as with any rtr you will need to work on it and upgrade as things break, but thats part of the hobby. there are several options, but the rampage is a good entry level rtr.

my stock rampage ownership was a pleasant one with just a couple minor inexspensive mods.
http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=1782

all the rampage info you need is right here.

redcatrampageforum.com

Old 09-29-2010, 01:15 AM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

The Rampage Dunerunners and TTs are sold out for the next few weeks while we re-stock. The MTs should be in stock for another few days or a week. There are now hudnreds of hobby stores carrying Redcat LargeScale Parts, all over the country. New Jersey is especially active with Redcat Rampages. Or maybe its just that I notice all my old stomping grounds being used for bashes? Exit 131 for the first 30 years of my life!!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

You made a good choice!! Post some pics when you get it.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:59 PM
speedkills69

just got my Rampage XT. just one complain about it right out of the box. the servos were twitching right away. Oh well, just need to upgrade. But it runs great. Can't wait to finish with the break-in run.
ORIGINAL: bbuzzard

I know a lot of folks like spending each others money around here but the truth is how much will parts cost when you break something. The engine, servos and radios that come with most of these 5th scale RTR's suck without some type of replacement or upgrade. The real questions is how much you want to spend? Since, you looked at the Rampage, it is definitely less expensive than the other comparable setups (initial cost and replacement parts) I have the Dune Runner, KM Baja and MCD MT. To date the Baja has been modified the most due to wear and tear from crashing(not bashing). The Dune Runner has had its bumps but it has been very reliable (although I would suggest the TT or MT now) The MCD is my baby now but it cracks up just like the rest but with more typical results(time to buy some alloy diff casings). Hope that helps...
Old 04-20-2011, 04:06 AM
bbuzzard

Yes, the servos are crap but that has been stated before...have fun once you install good electronics. [8D]
Old 04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
NitroBurn1

Are the bodies on the new Rampage XT series better quality than the v1 v2, and v3? That was my main complaint about my v1 Rampage.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:07 PM
bbuzzard

I don't have issues with mine...and I melted it somewhat after the I melted the stock pipe off!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Nitro Fumes

ORIGINAL: trickle007

That Truggy looks like as pretty nice truck. It looks kind of like its a 4WD HPI Baja. It's Out of Stock anyway.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 AM
speedkills69

ORIGINAL: Sherv

I forgot to mention the Kalee model 4wd available at ZeroGravity. It is close to a baja 5b so some parts can be interchanged. Ask Scott at ZG RC for details.

Honestly you have 3 great choises

Nutech

FG

Kalee

If you have to have a rampage then head to their forums (i dont recall the website) and they will tell you what issues need to be ironed out before you drive it like you stole it.

Also Redcat is coming out with a new 1/8 bugger layout 1/5th scale both in buggy and MT form. Again they come with non CY/Zenoah motors. Thats really the biggest thing that turns me off from rampage/xt, the motor.
Here's the link tothe Rampage forrum: http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/
I got my Rampage XT a week ago and after the break-in run, I bashed the hell out of it and it's still in one piece (sigh!) My only complain are the servos which i've been warned by other owners. They twitch right out of the box when I turned them on. so I replaced them with Hitec. Also the failsafe is a dud! Replaced itwith Killer V. that's about it. I guess a lot of jumping is not good for any 5th scale coz' eventually you will break something, no doubt. So I kinda shy away from building ramps. I guess that's part of the reason why it's still in one piece!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:15 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

right now there is a Huge sale on the nutech sandstorm 4wd 629..

http://www.nutechracingusa.com/nutec...wd15scale.aspx
Old 04-22-2011, 05:05 AM
glenn201

the rampage xt is tuff i beat on mine all the time but they all break it just depends on what you are going to do with it if your going race it i would get an MCD race runner if you ask me its the 4x4 out there