Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone...

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone...

Old 01-29-2011, 02:30 PM
wolfie1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Rampage MT V3- Let's review UPDATE: 2/24/11...gone...

yea shippig to the uk is pretty steep from the us but saying that if you spend about $200 in parts and factor in shipping and import tax to the uk it still works out cheaper than buying bits in the uk, but thanks anyways [8D]
Old 01-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Here is a quick overview of the screw mod for the front/rear suspension arm holders for each diff for those that don't know. The idea behind the mod is pretty sound. Basically, the Rampage relies on 4 diff screws to pretty much absorb a lot of shock of the suspension. The stock plastic suspension arm holders (illustration below) use plastic pins to locate the holders on the chassis. Someone found that by screwing the suspension arm holders to the chassis instead of using pins, the diff cases aren't as subject to as much shock from the suspension and help prevent breakage.

The first step is to drill through the existing chassis holes that position the front/rear suspension arm holders onto the chassis. I used a drill bit size to allow a 10/24 size screw to pass through (right around 5mm). Then you need to counter sink the screws and use counter sink fasteners so the bottom of the chassis stays smooth.

This is what my chassis looked like when I drilled the 4.

This is a close up of the screws passing through the rear suspension arm holder with nuts holding them on the other side. The 10/24 fasteners are right about an inch in length. Note, while you can get nuts over the screws with the steering setup in place, it is FRUSTRATING. I recommend pulling the steering plate and the whole steering assembly out for this.

This is a shot of the front suspension arm holder screwed down.

Note that I did end up cutting off the V3 ears from the chassis to clear the V1 suspension arms. I am going to use limiting straps instead. I think this will be easier on the chassis and gear case by not relying on those parts to limit maximum suspension travel.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the front screws are overkill...I have had problems only with the rear holders since all the force of a hit is happening while the beast is moving forward. It will always be an issue until they switch to steel for those inserts...aluminum won't ever be the answer there. I understand the stand to be safer than sorry but if we could get a design resembling the V1 hinge holders, we would be good to go.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Dale Gribble

UPDATE: 2/1/2011

I just had an amazing, AMAZING run with this thing. I ran through a full tank at our local bash spot, I took a lot of jumps (some quite big) and no broken parts even after some good cartwheels and tumbles. After dialing in the engine, the performance is giving me roosts and donuts. I feel victorious today! I don't have to repair anything, I actually get to run it again when I am ready!

The Rampage's stock just went up in my book. If it gives me some more good bash sessions without drama, I will feel vindicated for the amount of work I put into it. The 4x4 handling is just amazing after running Bajas only for this long.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:03 AM
jamesfouquet
My Feedback: (2)

good to hear.   how bout some vidieo of that beast.    Also I have a question about the turnbuckle you broke..  I have a dune runner and I broke the rear upper a arm. It broke the turnbuckle part.  it is as you said manufactured very cheap.  what is agood replacment for this if any.  glad to hear you got a tank trew it I have agallon threw mine so far and no major issues.  But I run on a flat oval track never jump it.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:03 AM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Thats why we say to read the Pre-run checklist first, before you start running it. All of your problems have been addressed with a few simple mods that take around an hour to do.

Glad you are having fun now.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Thats why we say to read the Pre-run checklist first, before you start running it. All of your problems have been addressed with a few simple mods that take around an hour to do.
Frankly the thing that set me back the most was the cheap cast turnbuckles made of butter which is not a part of the pre-run list. It took me a while to get that shortcoming addressed between ordering upgraded backordered titanium turnbuckles and doing the screw mod around my busy schedule.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 AM
lightning73

Cool glad to hear your efforts have paid off....
Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: jamesfouquet

good to hear. how bout some vidieo of that beast. Also I have a question about the turnbuckle you broke.. I have a dune runner and I broke the rear upper a arm. It broke the turnbuckle part. it is as you said manufactured very cheap. what is agood replacment for this if any. glad to hear you got a tank trew it I have agallon threw mine so far and no major issues. But I run on a flat oval track never jump it.
I wouldn't say cheap, but Python Motorsports offers each of the turnbuckles and a turnbuckle kit in titanium for the Rampage/Dune Runner. Unfortunately, they are on backorder as far as I know. Email the owner before you place the order to check availability. You can find them here-

[link=http://www.pythonmotorsports.com/fg/offroad_parts/rampage-parts/rampageparts.html]http://www.pythonmotorsports.com/fg/offroad_parts/rampage-parts/rampageparts.html[/link]

Old 02-01-2011, 11:26 AM
jamesfouquet

thanks for the info.  I have a replacment for now I just want to get some stronger spares cuz I know it will break agian.  I have been enjoying the dune runner.  Its kinda slow compared to my 28.5 cc baja but its heavier.  I think a 30.5 with a 2mm storker crank will wake the bottom end up and I saw that ddm now has a 9500 rpm spring I want to try. 
Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 AM
lightning73

Got a link to that spring?

Wonder just how punishing 9500 rpm`s will be on a driveline, sounds like an awfull lot of torque!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 PM
jamesfouquet

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.8013/.f

I hadnt really thought about the drive train I know my baja could take it, but its beefed up.  I am new to the redcats so I dont know about beefing up the drivetrain yet.  I do feel the dune runner is two heavy and needs a big tourqe monster motor to get it moving quickly and the high rpm spring would help to I belive.  hope the link works.  I hate to get off topic maybee I will start a new thread on this subj.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
lightning73

Link works fine thanks....

I agree you should start a new thread on this, im sure several people would be interested in checking it out.

Sorry Dale will end it at that.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Dale Gribble

Hey, if its Rampage/Dune Runner related, this is as good a place for your discussion as anywhere. Just don't start talking about your feelings here...
Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 PM
lightning73

Lmao!  I hear ya there....
Old 02-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Cool thread Dale! Isnt it awesome when you get to finally run something that hasnt been working properly.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Cool thread Dale! Isnt it awesome when you get to finally run something that hasnt been working properly.
Ya, I am totally stoked right now.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I just read this whole thread lol!

That stock body didnt hold at all.. I was kind of surprised. Servo problems sound pretty routine.. The turnbuckle looks like it just folded.. Not so routine.. Looks like an awesome truck though! If I had the money to drop on one I would..
Old 02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Dale Gribble

Since it was so nice out today, I snapped a few shots of the Rampage MT as it is now. It now has the aluminum arms and I put on some Proline Excavator tire wrapped around some Devastator wheels from a 5T. This setup gives a wider footprint due to a deeper offset compared to the Trenchers on split 6 wheels that were on here.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:05 PM
racetruck

Glad to hear you got a tank of fuel run in your MT hopefuly all the bad is behind you now we are getting sme nice sleet here in indiana it should be alot of fun to run the MT in it
Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 PM
mradlin

Looks good Dale!!
Glad you're getting some use out of her now.  [8D]
Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 PM
wolfie1

dale i am intending to do the mod with the bolts through the link arms except i was thinking about drilling them and rethreading an alloy suspension arm holder as not to have bolts coming through, but i have a couple of questions- did you use the holes in the chassis where the locating pins come through and is there 4 identical arms for the front and rear end of the chassis? thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: wolfie1

dale i am intending to do the mod with the bolts through the link arms except i was thinking about drilling them and rethreading an alloy suspension arm holder as not to have bolts coming through, but i have a couple of questions- did you use the holes in the chassis where the locating pins come through and is there 4 identical arms for the front and rear end of the chassis? thanks
Yes, I use the existing holes in the chassis for the locating pins. I am not sure if the arm holders are identical or not... Might be able to go on redcatracing.com and look at the online documentation to confirm.

I was thinking about using the alloy arm holders. Probably not a bad idea, but the plastic ones seem to be ok from what I have read with this mod.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

The arm-holders are different front to back. You can use teh plastic pin holes and just countersink them. Drilling and tapping the aluminum version works well too.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:31 AM
wolfie1

thanks for the replys, i have been looking at the specs snd there appears to be 3 the same and 1 different for the arm holders, i cant quite remember now which ones they are but am looking forward to doing the mod now that i have got some clarity

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.