Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Exhaust pipe for Baja, not loud

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Coopz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust pipe for Baja, not loud

I have a hopped up Baja with a SS pipe that I'm finding excessively noisy (ear breaking screamer, its not even a nice sound).
Was wondering if there were some good pipes out there that muffled the sound without muffling the power. Was going to get the Dominator v2 pipe but I heard they were even louder...

Any help welcome
Old 01-24-2011, 11:50 AM
pinkducky

Default RE: Exhaust pipe for Baja, not loud

yes dom v2 was pretty loud. I got rid of it. I heard that the mielke pipe is pretty sweet and also bartolone pipe afterburber. Both have great subdued sounds. DDM should have them. While you are there, pick up a Bullet Fueler too!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

Jetpro sells a pipe with a silencer addon. It works and its not bad. Look into it at www.davesdiscountmotors.com
Old 01-24-2011, 12:05 PM
sparky 25

I had been running the hpi ss pipe on my 28.5cc engine for a while, then i switched to a rear dom,

the power it made with the rear dom was great but the noise was just about bearable,
i fitted a silencer from a 1/5 scale boat to this pipe and this at least halved the noise,

but in the end i switched to a 5t can,

i now actually prefer the 5t can out of these pipes ive tried, makes good power and is so quiet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wu61745.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1552318   Click image for larger version

Name:	hc93659.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	4.59 MB
ID:	1552319   Click image for larger version

Name:	kp34990.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	4.66 MB
ID:	1552320  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Zonk

The Afterburner is small and fairly quiet, bit pricey tho. Also heard theb Rd Logics pipe is good.

Yeah the SS pipe sounds awful. They were frowned on at my track when I used to race.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:17 PM
DarkFire989

The side mount Mielke pipe is quiet.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Zonk

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

I found sidemount pipes are the best for both sound and power but man they are ugly and they spoil the buggies clean lines.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:42 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

+1. The Mielke side pipe is the quietest pipe I've used so far.

ORIGINAL: Zonk

I found sidemount pipes are the best for both sound and power but man they are ugly and they spoil the buggies clean lines.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes you have to make sacrafices to get what you want. Personally, I like the look of a side pipe on a baja better than a rear pipe.

You can always do like sparky suggested and just get a rear pipe and silence it.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Nitro Fumes

Tuned pipes aren't really quiet, some are louder than others. Go for a muffler, of course you'll lose power.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:14 AM
tonystott

If you fit  a Mielke side pipe, you won't need a silence and you won't lose power, and I reckon it looks good!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 AM
provatocj

Hey guys. I need to go with the quietest pipe (within reason) for my 5b SS. Based on the posts I've been reading, it sounds like the Mielke is the way to go. I can't seem to find anywhere online to buy one. You guys agree that it's the quietest way to go without seriously compromising power? Any thoughts on where online to buy? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 PM
DarkFire989

Yeah DDM used to have them but I do not know anymore. I will try to research where to pick one up.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Coopz

ORIGINAL: sparky 25

I had been running the hpi ss pipe on my 28.5cc engine for a while, then i switched to a rear dom,

the power it made with the rear dom was great but the noise was just about bearable,
i fitted a silencer from a 1/5 scale boat to this pipe and this at least halved the noise,

i now actually prefer the 5t can out of these pipes ive tried, makes good power and is so quiet.

Heard a few ppl say the 5t can is superior to many aftermarket pipes but without the loudness. Might get one
Old 01-29-2011, 09:40 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Coopz

Heard a few ppl say the 5t can is superior to many aftermarket pipes but without the loudness. Might get one
I might have to try a 5T can
Old 01-29-2011, 09:44 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: Coopz

those ppl were misinformed. no can will even approach a pipe for power. if noise is your issue, dont sacrifice. spend your money on a high end muffler. there are a few designs that will quiet your pipe and not kill your performance.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 PM
pwaicon

Samba makes some very nice pipes, they have a good tone and are quieter than most. FG Supply has a Samba for the HPI on sale right now for $135, which is an excellent price for a Samba. I haven't used this particular pipe but I have used Samba pipes on my FG's and they produce nice power without the ear piercing sound of some pipes.

Samba Pipe: [link]http://www.fgsupply.com/RED_TAG_SALE-SAMBA_BUZZ_SAW_for_HPI_Baja.html[/link]

Video: [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC4U51KJxNs[/link]

The yellow Baja in the video is running the Samba BuzzSaw pipe: [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsovMEhf398[/link]
Old 01-30-2011, 01:38 AM
splcrazy

most people complain its not loud enough, i have the side mount tgn pipe they come included with a silencer , and they are pretty decent sounding when the silencer is on and still makes plenty of power with it on , its when you take it off it becomes something else like letting out a wild beast and its the loudest thing you will ever hear lol
Old 01-30-2011, 02:24 AM
TIGER76

I went from the ss pipe to the dom v2 the ss pipe has a high pitched annoying sound [:@],the doms a lot more throatier, deep sound but with a silencer on its half as loud LOL
My friends runs the 5t can and its probally the quietest pipe ive heard run tbh and power wasnt bad either