Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

spark plug help!!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:32 AM
synthetic003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug help!!

if a plug is sparking is it possible that it DOESNT HAVE enough to ignite fuel? my baja drowned and now it wont start back up. cleaned n dried inside and out the ENTIRE engine and carb as well as air filter and gas tank. but using an electric drill straight to the flywheel, it just wont start at ALL. THE SPARK COLOR IS A LIGHT BROWNISH COLOR WITH BLUE ENDS. i am thinking that maybe it got ruined when it went from very hot to cool instantly when i hit the water. the engine and carb all seems in great condition!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Paul1981

Default RE: spark plug help!!

2 stroke engines build up a lot of carbon and because they don't operate as cleanly as 4 strokes, they kill spark plugs much quicker.  I've been in a situation similar to yours (except I hadn't drowned the engine); I had a spark from the plug, it looked good strength but I was getting nothing at all from the engine.  A change of plug and it roared to life first pull.  Changing it for a new one couldn't hurt...

Like I said in your other thread though, water and cylinders don't mix.  You may have done worse damage than you imagined...
Old 04-01-2011, 04:28 PM
synthetic003

LITTLE BIT OF AN UPDATE?!?!?!?!? BOUGHT A NEW PLUG BUT STILL NO STARTING. IF I PULL THE PLUG I CAN IGNITE THE FUEL THAT SPITS OUT IF ANY AT ALL DOES WHEN I TURN THE MOTOR OVER WITH A ELECTRIC DRILL. FLYWHEEL AND COIL GAP IS LITERALLY THE THICKNESS OF 2 PIECES OF PAPER. IF I PUT THE PLUG IN THE EXHAUST HOLE AND TURN IT OVER I CAN BLOW THE PLUG OUT WHEN IT IGNITES THE FUEL. BUT WHEN I HAVE IT IN THE CYLINDER HEAD IT WONT START AT ALL?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!!? NO ITS NOT FLOODED EITHER LOL
Old 04-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this may be a retarded question but when you pulled the carb and piced it out did you put the needled bact to there proper tune? Mabey your not getting the right fuel air mixture?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:12 AM
wolfie1

you couldnt have blown your head gasket or warped the head due to rapid cooling, you couldnt have a dodgy ht lead and when your pulling it out to check the spark its making contact inside the lead?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:13 AM
wolfie1

just another thought you couldnt have crushed tne piston due to the head cooling quickly?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When (if that is) you use the pullstart, does it feels like the engine has good compression? Did you place the carb gasket the right way when you mounted it on the car? I thought of the pulse port, it might be blocked.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:17 PM
morespeed

try this, worked for me.
take your plug out and turn baja upside down and spin the motor over about ten times.
then get a soda cap and fill it about half way with 2 stroke oil and pour it in the spark plug hole. put plug back in and pull.

a buddy of mine just got a baja and he pulled it for a week and would not start, plenty of gas and great spark. nothing.
he brought it to me and i pulled it for about an hour and nothing. again great spark and plenty of fuel.
i almost gave up when i put some oil in the cylinder and first pull started right up. wow ,should of seen the look on our faces.
he say's it starts right up now, no problems.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:33 PM
meminiau

ORIGINAL: morespeed

try this, worked for me.
take your plug out and turn baja upside down and spin the motor over about ten times.
then get a soda cap and fill it about half way with 2 stroke oil and pour it in the spark plug hole. put plug back in and pull.
When you do a compression test on a motor vehicle, and I guess other motors, you do the test as normal and then you do the test again after pouring a little oil into the cylinders. If the compression gauge reads higher with the oil in the cylinder, then it means the engine rings are a little worn at the very least, and is reducing compression.

If the car started after oil added into the cylinder, then a rebuild is going to be required soon.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 AM
synthetic003

yes needles high and low have been reset to factory .
Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 AM
synthetic003

wolfie...........are you telling me i could not have those issues from the baja or are you telling me that i could have those issues from the rapid cooling? i am confused
lars.............i cant use the pullstart at all until i but a new one along with a fly wheel. the pullstart was shattered when a small piece of the flywheel broke where the pawl engages the flywheel. it broke like 4 months ago so for now i just used a 12mm socked and extension then wrapped the pull rope around it and pulled usually started right up that way. but since all this i have been using an electric drill.
morespeed....... i have been wondering about compression i will definatly have to try that in a few
Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM
morespeed

synthetic,
was it worth a try or failure for you?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
synthetic003

failed...........sorry forgot to post the results. i think i am gonna tear back into the motor again tonight and check everything back over and do it even slower than the last 3 times (lol). yes i have had it completly broken down 3 times already over this. there is something i just have to be missing.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 AM
wolfie1

i am saying that these could be possible causes to your problem