Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

King Motor 30.5cc coil problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default King Motor 30.5cc coil problem?

So I'm stumped. I had a very light roll over with my KM Baja 2.0 a few days ago, and I mean a very light roll over (no air). It died as soon as the roof/plug boot cover hit the ground. As soon as I flipped it back over it would not start (not even a pop, obviously a spark issue, maybe a damaged plug?). About 45 minutes later, just prior to leaving, I tried giving it a pull and it started. I only had it running for a few seconds as I was about to head home. The buggy had been running awesome up until this point.

Yesterday I took it out again and it started right up as usual. I got one fast pass out of it and it died. Tried to start it with no luck. Again, it would not even pop.

I have the flywheel cover off and nothing looks out of the ordinary. All the wires look good with no damage (buggy is only three weeks old), but I am not getting any spark. The gap has never moved and is correct. Connections are clean and tight, kill switch is not stuck or dirty.

It was running slightly rich and the plug was dark (but not excessively). Figuring it was fouled, I tried a different plug and am not showing any spark on that one either.

What I also don't get is why would it lose spark while running on level ground?

Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 PM
DarkFire989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: King Motor 30.5cc coil problem?

I would honestly try resetting the coil again. Stick a business card between the flywheel and coil to reset the gap.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Sessholvlaru

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

I would honestly try resetting the coil again. Stick a business card between the flywheel and coil to reset the gap.
The gap is not the problem. I removed the entire coil to check the contacts and there were some small rust spots on the pick ups. They certainly don't appear to be the cause but I cleaned them with some sand paper anyway. Will give it another shot.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Sessholvlaru

I got three new CMR7H plugs in case both of my test plugs were bad and I still get no spark. Somehow this new coil has gone bad.

Does anyone have an extra coil they can let go? $60 seems a bit steep.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
savagecommander

http://www.gizmomotors.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=56
Old 10-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Sessholvlaru

Well it seems like it is a problem with the spark plug wire. I took the boot off (ripped it off in a fit of rage) and checked the contacts. Now I get spark when I rest the plug on the head. Bizarrely, it looks like I am not getting spark when the plug fully installed as it still will not pop. I am getting fuel and the plug is not fouled. I am ready to smash this thing.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:22 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Get an MSD wire, here is the store that I usually buy from, its a great store http://stores.ebay.com/tularehobbies

Here is the link for the wire http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Spark-Plu...#ht_3180wt_804 They have other colors
Old 10-11-2011, 02:35 PM
splcrazy

yep I was about to say the wire is the problem , I change the wire out for something else , the stock coil wire is rubbish , what you do is go to an auto shop and buy a long 8mm lead with a boot style end , you chop the other end off to size and then carve off the excess like as if your sharpening it because you will need to screw it into the hole in the coil . don't buy the msd wire the lead is too short plus the price is a ripp off , any performance 8mm lead will do a better job .
Old 10-11-2011, 02:40 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

I dont have a problem with mine, it fits fine but you could do that too
Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Sessholvlaru

Well I got it to work...just without the boot. For whatever reason, every time I slid the boot on I lost spark. Either way at least it is running for now (sans boot). I am going to go ahead and replace the wire as per your guys' recommendations.