Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

fg big power pipe ?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM
blackrain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fg big power pipe ?

I'm looking at a fg big power pipe for the fg sportline. I currently have the fg one piece tuned pipe on my car is there a big performance difference between the 2 pipes

Name:  fgonepiece.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  2.9 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	fgbigpower.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	2236573
Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fg big power pipe ?

I wish i could tell you, but once i saw the price of the 2peice pipe, it was the final nail in the coffin for my sportsline, hence why i sold it, decided to get a FG baja and convert it to onroad instead and have never looked back!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:30 PM
blackrain

I know the price is crazy, i replaced my fg baja with a monster bettle pro i just love the look of the on road cars. I just hope there are some major gains between the 2 pipes to make it a worthy purchase
Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 PM
pflynn73
My Feedback: (20)

Not much power gain at all. I raced FGs years ago and I did use the big power pipe. In racing it is nice because in a hard side hit the pipe does not get damaged. If you are looking for more speed I would pass on it. In fact I think it might cost a little power. Also, the center of gravity is changed to the downside. Much more body roll with the big power pipe. I did use them and did like it due to less DNF chances. I also removed the packing in the rear portion of the pipe. It would not pass a decibel meter test through IFMAR with the packing removed though ( makes it quite a bit louder). If you do go with it buy an extra plastic sleeve that is used from the header to the pipe and use the extra sleeve to fasten the back portion to the main pipe with hose clamps. The size is off a bit so just run the motor to warm up the sleeve and slowly tighten the clamps down to make the larger plastic sleeve fit the smaller front portion of the pipe. The O rings on a stock big power pipe will not hold it together for long w/o the help of the sleeve. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:56 PM
GT100
My Feedback: (1)

I have to agree with pflynn. Had that pipe and there wasnt much power difference if any at all. I run high speed runs so every little bit helps. Paid all that money for the pipe and it didnt make a difference. Even went as far as removing the insulation from the silencer to see if it'll make a difference and it just got louder.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:37 PM
speedypetey61

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a slight difference but not enough to justify the price, but I would recommend either the samba 5 or even better samba 6.
Also check ebay, there is a samba 5 up for grabs now, used but at a discount.
You can also if you want to find a good selection of onroad stuff, search ebay under ebay.uk section and other over seas areas for guys that will ship to the US, there is plenty.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:54 PM
blackrain

There's a samba 5 and a big power pipe on there i am watching, seems like i might be better of spending my money on something else.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 PM
blackrain

looks like i made a mistake my pipe is a basic stock pipe $55 bucks at fg supply. This is what happens when you buy used not being actually shore what is what.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 PM
pflynn73
My Feedback: (20)

There is nothing wrong with that pipe on your car. In my days of racing the different pipes did not make that much difference. The Samba is a very nice piece. However the fastest guy in the States 6 to 8 years ago used a basic side FG tuning pipe. If you are trying to get huge gains spend the budget on a motor and clutch package.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM
blackrain

I will take your advice and stick with this pipe the motor already has a 29cc head kit on it. I appreciate the help since the gains are pretty much minimal if any. Thanks