Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Which 1/5 scale CAR/Truck?

Old 10-18-2012, 04:14 PM
NCWalrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 1/5 scale CAR/Truck?

I am looking to get my first real RC car/truck. I had a Smarttech nitro car back in the day but want to do a REAL one this time.

I'm really interested in 1/5 cars/trucks/buggys and looking for some good direction. HPI or FG? Other brands/models to consider?

I would like to buy used and buy a quality car at an affordable price with a big aftermarket of parts/accessories.

Your input is appreciated
Old 10-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Which 1/5 scale CAR/Truck?

I have the King Motors clone baja 5. at half the price of the HPI, it gets the job done!

Bill S.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:12 PM
bentley marshall

if i had to pic from hpi or fg i would go fg ..........

but really losi 5ive would be my pick of what available today
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HPI was my choice but wasn't 4x4 and the Losi 5ive was too darn expensive but both of those have LHS support for parts and hop-ups. I love my Nutech and was lower priced than the HPI and FG plus is 4x4. After working out the "bugs" , it is a beast. If my funds were not limited, I would have gotten the Losi 5ive or the FG 4x4.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:49 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are your plans...race or bash? 4WD or 2WD? Truck or buggy style?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Any of the baja series are great vehicles. Plenty of power, durable, and TONS of aftermarket support. The Losi Five-T is a great, durable, and popular truck as well. However, the Losi is underpowered from the factory. With the Losi it'd be best to mod the engine or put a bigger engine in it. All you need to do to the HPI is put a pipe on it and you'll be good for power, unless you're power crazy. I have no experience with any of the "off" brand 1/5 scale RC's, but I've heard many bad and good things about them. You don't here much bad about the HPI's or Losi's...
Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Gilchrist111

I purchase 1/5 scale gas Car Design 29 CC i think this is good car launched by the Chinese suppliers. i am just focusing to see on 1/5 scale gas Car Design 29 CC ,1/5 scale gas Car Design 29 CC is very comfortable model..any suggestion about the car??i appreciated..thanks

Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 AM
nastyboys727

hpi 5b,5t,5sc all the same chassie all the same hopup support i have the 5b just for the more sleek look of it all three have the same wheel base but when you get into the trucks the bodys are way  way more costly like 5b bodys are around 26 to 30 bucks ut with the trucks it starts around 100 bucks plus but the hpi's are awesome the clones are too kinda the same if you ask me

ok now the fgs i had a mt years ago it run great to me but i got my ace handed to me by a bone stock hpi 5t we drag race on the street and the fg are kind of soft i broke arms and bearing blocks melted the break setup they roll over easy kinda like a tmaxx a few times so  im kind at a no on them and they cost way to much for what  they are

now the losi five i never had one price is thru the roof  i seen them next to the 5sc its way bigger and after market support its growing 

i think the best bang for your buck is the hpi or a clone of the hpi  and if you plan on lots of hopups grabbing a used one is the way to go
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 AM
blackrain

Just pick what you like best if you don't your still going to want it and end up with 2 1/5 scale in the end. I myself owning Fg and hpi love the Fg more i started out wanting a Fg baja first and settled for a Hpi Baja but could not stop thinking about the Fg. I know own 3 fg and 1 hpi
Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 PM
trey3670
My Feedback: (10)

on road? fg. off road? hpi.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If u can sqeez it seriously looking to a 5ive, there are heaps of reviews out and its a very well designed chassis, there is a awesome after market support as well as genuine upgrades. Baja's are great, but not awesome like the five, 4wd really makes a huge difference, and the losi comes with a centre diff so u can still pull of very controllabe drifts. they are a peoples car because they are just so easy to drive, u can push as hard as u want around a track & dont have t worry about spinning out. I have not seen a bad review yet, only bad point so far is the steering servo is weak, but that can be upgraded to a stronger one or even dual servos.

The Losi is worth the price tag, If u are going to invest a bit of cash why not go that little more to get something so much more rewarding?

Old 11-09-2012, 09:08 AM
tapkoote

For my first I went with the HPI buggy.
I did end up with alot of hop-up parts but learned alot
about set up and suspension.
Probably could have got into something more sophisticated,
but would have missed the learning curve.
I had an FG clone , hit the curb twice and it's history.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 AM
blackrain

The losi 5t is nice but it only makes scence to spend that kind of money if your going to race compeatively.