Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New Rovan 5T Terminator

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM
jeffdearduff
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Rovan 5T Terminator

Well just got home from driving the truck and it was a lot of fun. Engine has a lot of power. I am running Red Line 2 stroke at 25 to 1 and there is all kinds of oil all over the back bumper. I think I might go to 40 to 1 after a while. Tore apart one of the rear axle boots today so I have that to look forward to replacing. I am wondering if I should use the supplied ones that came with the truck or get some better ones. I really like those Hemiboots but they are spendy. I think there are some better quality ones on the market. Any idea what grease to use on those joints?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:57 PM
jeffdearduff

So how is it going? Any new things to report? I just had to replace my axle boots. I was amazed when I opened those up how much grease there wasn't. They seemed kind of dry. Another thing I have noticed is that the bead locks aren't holding that great. Its only one wheel but it sucks. I guess i will have to buy some silverbacks. Take some pics or shoot a video, I would love to see what your doing to the truck.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 AM
Johnny19742K5
My Feedback: (5)

It's going good so far. I've had to replace a few things that I knew would fail in the future. I started off with the motor. I never even fired up the stock motor, just replaced it with a New 4 bolt 28.5 Zen. Because I replaced the motor, I knew that the rear diff would probly go out, so I replaced that with a NEW HPI SS Diff. I did this based on my experiance from my 1st king motor buggy. Both fail in the same day.

I also replace the Radio box, with a New HPI one. The new servos I ordered would not properly fit. Just slightly off spec. I wanted to ditch the stock gearing so I bought a set of 19/55 gears from DDM. Guess what those didn't fit either. The stock clutch bell didn't fit the DDM pinion gear. Again just slighty off. So there's another order from DDM a new veritgo clutch bell. I also replaced the shock oil with 40wt all the way around. 100% better travel with no binding.

So here's a list of what all Ive done so far.

ZEN 28.5 motor
HPI SS Diff
New Radio Box
Veritgo Clutch Bell
DDM 19/55 gears
40 WT shock oil on all 4
New Servos
Thread locked all screws
Replaced beadlock screws with Silverbacks
New DOM pipe

It should run like a rabid dog now!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 AM
jeffdearduff

So what will the 19/55 gears get you? I am new to these big trucks and don't know a lot about them. I too was thinking about replacing the motor. But the one it came with is running really good so I am not sure what I am going to do. I might just get one here just in case. I hate waiting for things to ship. Why did you replace the radio box? Is there something I should know? Are you changing out the radio? What are you doing with all the parts your taking off? I have to tell you that I hate the pipe this thing comes with. Super load. And all the oil collects in it. Also, my orange bumper in the back always gets cover in oil. I think I am going to replace it with an RPM rear skid plate.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 AM
jeffdearduff

Hey, do you know can you just hose these things out when there real dirty?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Johnny19742K5

ORIGINAL: jeffdearduff

So what will the 19/55 gears get you? I am new to these big trucks and don't know a lot about them. I too was thinking about replacing the motor. But the one it came with is running really good so I am not sure what I am going to do. I might just get one here just in case. I hate waiting for things to ship. Why did you replace the radio box? Is there something I should know? Are you changing out the radio? What are you doing with all the parts your taking off? I have to tell you that I hate the pipe this thing comes with. Super load. And all the oil collects in it. Also, my orange bumper in the back always gets cover in oil. I think I am going to replace it with an RPM rear skid plate.
So the 19/55 gear will give you greater top speed, but your punch of the line will suffer alittle. (I like going fast).
Once your Steering servo craps out, you'll gonna want to replace it with a better one. What ever servo you buy probly won't fit, The specs on the steering servo tray are a bit off when installing say a Hitec servo. You can probly just buy the Servo tray, but I went ahead and just bought the entire HPI box.

I would have to say that the stock pipe makes a complete mess of things. Just throw it away, unless you want to sell to 15.00 bucks. A new one cost $30.00. Get youreslf a better pipe. Rear Dom if you want insane bottom end, or you could go with a CPI Small bore and really let that engine scream! Whatever pipe you decide, you'll see a diffrence in the motor big time.

As far as the motor. It's just a personal thing with me. I dont trust the Rovan and KM motors. If its running fine, then just run the crap out of it. Just have another motor on stand by. Look at the ZEN 270 on DDM. For $249.00 you can beat it. It;s a soild motor with plently of GO GO juice.

Cleaning the Baja.

This is what I do.
I remove the Radio box,engine and wheels. I then spray Simple green all over and let it let for a few minutes. Get your self a toothbrush to get in the little cracks and crainies. Then just hose off. Finally I spray WD-40 on the entire truck.

For the Engine, wheels and Radio box, I just simple wipe these down with a damp cloth. Be really careful with the radio box.

For me, This is a 30 min job. It may be alittle time consuming at first, but a clean truck is a good running truck! After each run ( depending on how dirty) I clean the truck this way. It kills me to have a dirty truck.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM
jeffdearduff

So I just took off the crappy pipe that the truck came with and put on a can that I got from DDM for like $16. What a difference in sound. So much quieter. I don't think it hurt the performance either. I was just running it up and down the street and it seems to be fine. So now I am on the hunt for a pipe that is not really loud but gives great performance. Any suggestions?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Johnny19742K5

Unfortunately you can't have both. It's either one or the other. Most pipes that are out there are loud. You can always opt for a rear Dom and a silencer on it. Power will be restrictive, but you'll have the option of removing it in a few seconds.

Just an FYI. As I'm sure you already know, by putting on the can exhuaust. You are robbing the motor of power.
Check out HPI BAJA FORUM under the for sale ads. People are always putting up used pipes for sale. Sometimes cheap.

A CPI pipe will run you about 175 bucks and will be loud, however you'll notice a increase in throught the power band.

The DDM fast pipe is another good one. That one will set you back about 159 bucks.

There are tons of pipe out there, just depends on how much you want to spend. Check out DDM and look under pipes.

I bought the rear Dom on DDM for 109. It was the deal of the day, so that was the only reason I bought it. I'm probly gonna end up selling it and getting a CPI small bore.

I'm sure others will post up about there options on pipes.

Mail man needs to put it high gear and get to my house already.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:19 PM
jeffdearduff

I am going with a DDM Dominator V2 with silencer. $159 on TGN's web site. That should be a good one. I love the looks of the fast pipe but i have read that it is insane load. Not really the direction I am going. If I have to give up a little power for a pipe that will not blow your ear drums out i am for it. I am pretty happy with that can right now. I will buy the pipe in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:55 PM
jeffdearduff

So today I decided to go with a Kraken class 1 cage kit for my Rovan. I think these things are sick. They cost a lot but in the end this thing will be awesome. I have been in contact with a guy from LA that does custom vinyl wraps for these things. I'll I have to do is come up with a design and he will make it happen. I am going to order it in a week or so. I can't wait. When it is all done I will post some picks. I had to order some rear shock kits from TGN yesterday. The left rear shock kept coming unscrewed from the lower eye. Even with loctite. So I am just done with it. I have the HD 8mm kits coming. Also I had to cut a little off the end of my rear sway bars. I think they were tearing into one of my cv boots. I am getting tired of replacing them.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 PM
jeffdearduff

So I decided to get a Kraken class 1 roll cage kit for my truck. These things are sick. I can't wait for it to get here. There is a guy in LA that makes custom wraps for these. It is going to look good. This is the exact type of look i am looking for for my RC. I am also getting the Light bar for the top. I am going to wait on the bumper. I want to see how the stock one looks.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 AM
Johnny19742K5

I ran the truck yesterday after receiving all the parts I was waiting on.
All I have to say is wow. I'm pulling the front wheels off the ground. This motor has lot of power. So glad I replace the stock one for a 28.5.

After about 20 mins of running, luck would have it. The left rear shock separated from the lower eye
. I bet the same issue you had. I don't know it there is a fix to that. I might try some jb weld. Just to make sure

Looks like shocks will be the order.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:25 AM
jeffdearduff

That sucks about the shock. Its funny that we had the same problem. I would just order new ones. I just ordered the HPI HD repiar kit with the 8mm shafts. Here is a picture of the wrap I am getting for the Kraken class 1 kit. Maybe not. The site will not upload the image.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 AM
jeffdearduff

So my diff took a dump yesterday. I was driving it around and i could hear it start to grind. I guess I should have taken it out and looked at it before I started driving the truck. I talked with Rovanrc on ebay and he is sending me a new diff for it. I will take this one apart and make sure it looks ok before I put it in the truck.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 AM
jeffdearduff

So I opened it up to find the screws that hold on the diff gear were all loose. And one of the tabs that the screw goes through was broken off. Lots of metal inside the case too.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:03 PM
jeffdearduff

So I have a new diff coming from Rovan, but I also ordered a new Vertigo locker for it. I think I will try it first. As long as I dont drive it on the street it should be great. And I wont have to worry about anymore broken diffs. Also, my new Kraken cage kit and General Tire wrap are on the way too. Funny thing, when I took apart the diff it was full of silicone like they used RTV to seal it up. It was all in the gears. Also the screws that came loose on the case, only one srcew had a lock washer on it. On a really positive note the OE clutch looked great. Before UPS even dropped off the truck I had bought a new clutch for it. I new that thing was going to fail. I was wrong about that one. Still looks like new. Hopefully I will be able to take this thing out and run it without something breaking.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM
ratpower396

just watch out with the locker they are hard on out drives ,dogbones & axles..
Old 03-04-2013, 04:27 PM
jeffdearduff

I figured I would have to up grade those. Either FLM or Meaty bones.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM
jeffdearduff

Here is the new body design.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18580.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	1858563  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 PM
jeffdearduff

Finally got the cage put together. I also got the new diff installed in the trans. I got a locker but I did not put it in. I will save that until I get a 3 piece gear box. The diff I got was from rovan rc. I went through it before it went in the truck. Will see how it goes. It seemed a little tight. I made sure the bolts had loctite on them. Hopefully my new wraps will be here tomorrow and I can finish this thing up.

Name:	Ec87949.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1859432  
Old 03-09-2013, 08:53 PM
jeffdearduff

One more video update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2-XYZmLz6w
Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

You need to put a hose on that Exhaust can. That way it doesn't cover anythign in oil. Extend it out to the rear of your cage.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:25 PM
jeffdearduff

I have a new DDM pipe coming. And there is not a lot of oil. Im pretty suprised.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 PM
jeffdearduff

Well here is the new look. tell me what you think. I just need to take off the rest of the orange stuff and it will be done.

Name:	Vt58079.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1861704  
Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 PM
jeffdearduff

One more.

Name:	Cz80120.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	1865024  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.