Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New Rovan 5T Terminator

Old 02-08-2013, 04:41 PM
jeffdearduff
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rovan 5T Terminator

UPS just arrived and dropped of my new Roven RC 5T. This is huge and heavy. Going to be putting alot on here about this truck. I know you HPI guys dont care but I have done my homework and I think I have all the right parts for it. I am going to start off buy removing every screw and making sure they all have loctite on them. I am also going to replace the shock tower supports. I have gotten a Turtle Racing HD Clutch set up for it. I read a few thing were this is a problem on all 5t's not just the clones. I am also going to add some axle extenders to it to see if it will help it from rolling over. I will be posting pictures soon.
If anyone has anything positive to ad please do so.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 PM
phmaximus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Rovan 5T Terminator

What about a kill switch? IMO its the first thing to get.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
jeffdearduff

Yup, Kill switch on order. So today I started replacing parts. I started with the clutch bell housing and the turtle racing plate. In stalled the bell housing carrier and the hole for the trans plate does not line up. Im really pissed about this one. I am including a picture of the part that I tried to use. It is a King Motors part. I am wondering what is causing the miss alingment. Is it that it is a Rovan? Is it the king motors part? Am I just doing something wrong? Any Help would be great.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
jeffdearduff

One other thing I noticed is that the clutch ball seems to have a slight wobble to it. This thing has never been run.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95181.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1850835  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM
jeffdearduff

Ran into more problems. I thought I would turn on the radio and see how things worked. So I turned the wheel and noticed the tires would not come back to center. Looking into I found that were the turnbuckle connects to the servo saver there was a bunch of slop. So I tried to tighten it down but the screw just spins. It is hard to see what is wrong. I cant tell but I think the arm is stripped were the nut sits in it. So Rovanrc on ebay is sending me some new parts. He is also sending me a new clutch bell because of the wobble I noticed in the one on the car. It sicks that a ready to run car has these problems but i took the gamble.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM
jeffdearduff

Here is a link to a youtube video of the truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wkYEN7hmnI
Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 PM
jeffdearduff

New video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhtHy502oJw
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM
jeffdearduff

so today I finally got out to drive the car. Its pretty fun. I did not realize how much room I really need for this thing. It is also strange not having reverse. That is something you have to think about. thank God for brakes. When you let go of the throttle it just keeps rolling. I did flip it once and when it landed on its back after a second or two the idle got a little higher. So I will need to take a look at that. I am also going to open up the clutch and take a look in there to see if anything has gone wrong with it. All in all a pretty fun car, really fast. 26cc really seems to be enough. I almost bought a new motor last night from DDM. I think I will hold off a little and see how this one goes.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Johnny19742K5
My Feedback: (5)

That's cool! I just ordered mine today. The most important thing to remember when buying km or rovan, just know you are buying cheap. Right off he bat, I'm replacing the radio with a futaba 3pmx, hitec servos, rear diff, and adding a killer bee kill switch. Just take it for what it is. With the right parts and not making it a money pit, you can't go wrong. Well I guess all RC are money pits!

Enjoy! Keep the videos coming!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:11 PM
jeffdearduff

Hey dont get rid of that radio just yet. I love mine. I am thinking of changing my other cars over to this system. The radio comes with a 10 model memory. Do some looking in to it. I have read that a lot of guys are doing the same thing. Getting rid of Airtronics and Futaba and Spektrum. The recievers for this are only like $10 each. And they work great. Keep the radio, give it a try.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 PM
jeffdearduff

Ran the Baja today for the second time. No problems with the truck yet. Runs really strong. Its got the 26cc motor in it and it is really fast. I can only imagine how much faster these trucks can be if they have a bigger engine. When I got it home I installed a set of Rovan axlex extenders. Gave it a little wider stance. The Rovan extenders are nice. They don't use a E-clip to hold on the front ones. There is a screw that goes through the middle and has a special nut on the other side that locks on to the extender. Link at the bottom if you want to see them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rovan-Hub-ex...item3a77b572db
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM
jeffdearduff

Took the 5t over to the school again today to run it around trying to get the engine broke in. I could hear a rattle the whole time I was driving around. The stupid cheap little clamp on the exhaust was coming off. So I ordered a Team Fast Eddy clamp. Looks a lot better than OE. Anyone else have problems with these? The engine and everything else seems to be working fine so far.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Johnny19742K5

I suspect I'll have the same issue, so I'll be on the lookout for that. That cheesy pipe has to go anyways.
I'm going with a Dom v2 or maybe a cpi sb. Do you ever wind up tearing the whole truck down and rebuilding it?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 PM
jeffdearduff

I did. There aren't a lot of metal to metal screws. They are all located around the engine. When I changed out the clutch parts I got to most of those and put on some loctite. And the bumper in the rear needs some help also. I would recommend you change out the servo saver for a Dark Soul servo saver. I had a problem with the stock one right out of the box. The rovan one is not the same as the HPI one. For the price you can't beat it. Did you order yours yet? What model did you order? What engine size?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:08 AM
Johnny19742K5

I ordered the same truck. UPS should deliver today sometime. I'm going to completely tear down the truck and rebuild it.
Starting with the diff, shocks, doing a wheel mods. You guess what I'll be doing Saturday night?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 AM
jeffdearduff

When you take it apart make sure that the clutch bell spins true. When you have the cover off give the pinion a spin and see how it looks. I had to replace mine with a HPI clutch bell. It wobbled all over the place. I am sure that it would have tore the clutch up. I have seen some videos on youtube were they say that the clutch got burnt up on the first tank. I bet this was the problem. I have run three tanks of gas now and the clutch still looks great.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM
jeffdearduff

So I was just trying to install a set of king motor front shock support. I tore down the front end and started to install the new pieces. Then to my suprise I found out that none of the original screws will fit these new parts. All of the screws that come with the truck in this area (except for two) are a self tapping type of screw. Then there are two machine screws that bolt it down to the chassis. The new parts are held together by machine screws that don't come with the new part. This is something that is missing from King's web site. They don't say anything about needing new screws. I will think twice about ordering from King Motors again. This is the third time that I will be waiting because something I got from them did not fit right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13284.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1854091  
Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Johnny19742K5

If I were you I would just stay clear of KM and Rovan metal parts. Instead upgrade with HPI or after market parts. The last time I ordered the shock tower supports I ordered aftermarket I believe they were golden horizon, which came with the screws to mount together and was a prefect fit. Besides the upgrades you do will determine the strength of your truck. Hence the reason I ordered a plain Jane truck. Sorry to hear your frustration with your new truck. Hang in there!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:22 AM
Johnny19742K5

As I was breaking down the rear diff, I wanted to pass something along. It would be a good idea to install the "missing bearing". If you were to disassemble the brake assembly, wiggle the output shaft ( shaft were the brake rotor are on). you will notice that there is alot of play. So what ever reason, HPI, KM and Rovan never stalled a bearing to the inside of the Trans casing. It's a really easy fix. Remove the trans, Spilt the case, remove the shaft. Once this is done you will notice that they placed a plastic ring to the inside of the Trans case, in place of the bearing. Keeping in ring in place and just add the bearing, and I don't recall the Bearing part number, but I'm sure you could do a search on here. It's be talked about before.

Just wanted to pass that along incase you didnt know. So far I'm liking the truck. The diff is alittle tight, so I'm hoping it will loosen up a bit after its been ran.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
jeffdearduff

Just a note. One of my rear shocks became unscrewed from the bottom eye piece of the shock. I never even thought to check those.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 PM
jeffdearduff

So now I am having a problem with my left hand rear shock. The bottom piece keeps unscrewing from the shaft. And ofcourse this happens while i am driving. So I am now trying to loctite the two together. HPI sells a rear shock repair kit that will fix my problem. I guess I will have to order those. Hopefully this will hold together for the weekend. Also I installed my new Team Fast Eddy exhaust clamp. So much better then that old piece of ***** one that came with it. I highly recommend this piece.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 PM
sparky 25

You should get a set of shock limiting straps,

I had leaky shocks on my km 5t even after changing to hpi parts,

once the limiting straps were fitted I never had any leaks after that.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 PM
jeffdearduff

New video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEkNKf9X8B4
Old 02-23-2013, 05:17 AM
padams10001

I had a leaky shock on my rovan 5b, but after using a bit of thread tape (after using a piece of condom) i think it is good now. If not, it is not too much too upgrade the shocks.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
jeffdearduff

Got some video of it running today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp-6hqS2T0I

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.