Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Looking to buy a used HPI Baja

Old 11-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a used HPI Baja

Hey guys. So I feel I am now ready to get myself a 1/5 scale. I have always wanted a HPI baja, so that is what I'm going to go for. I have a HUGE question though. With the price being so steep, I think I'll be buying a used GENUINE HPI baja. Is buying a used 1/5 gasser a bad idea? Have many of you here bought yours used if you have one? Also, what should I look for to make sure the car I am buying is a GENUINE HPI baja and not some king motors or rovan baja?
Old 11-03-2013, 03:04 PM
ratpower396

king motors Bajas are really good options to buying a new or used hpi.. The quality is just as good to get started and the fact that even with a hpi you will want to get hop ups..
Old 11-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Microz

Thanks but I don't really feel that a clone would be up to the same build quality as a true HPI. Thats why I'm thinking of a used HPI.

EDIT: I'm now looking really hard at the Redcat Rampages. These were the first 1/5 scales I ever contemplated buying way back last year (or early this year...forget when) but I now have the chance to actually decide on one...

Last edited by Microz; 11-03-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:30 PM
GT100
My Feedback: (1)

As far as the gassers, there's not much to look for. It starts and drives, then you're good. If by any chance the motor is on its last leg, you can always get a new topend kit for under 80 bucks. I know you're not with the "clone" thing but as ratpower mentioned, the KM is just as good as the original. I've seen a lot of clones take a beating and continue to run.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Microz

Thanks! Although, I would rather spend the extra money and get a genuine HPI vehicle. And yeah, I've heard about gas engines being pretty cheap, which is awesome!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rampages are cool they really are I have all of the Redcat 1/5 scale of my own I sell redcat also and I have 4 KM and 1 HPI 1/5 scale. The only drawback to the rampages is that the after market support is just not there especially for as long as they have been out. It has increased some just not near as much as the HPI aftermarket support. Now with the new X series redcat 7075 has some great hop ups thats a must for the X series. Now with the clones KM there is not much difference at all in the quality yes there are some weak points to the KM just as there is weak points in the HPI that's why the aftermarket support is so strong if everything on the HPI was perfect there would have been no need for other companies to make better parts. So if you was to start out wiht a clone you would not be out of as money if you started out with KM but of course to each his own just have big fun is the name of the game.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:48 AM
Microz

Thanks! I think I'm decided on actually buying a new HPI Baja 5B. I feel more "comfortable" with one of those.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 AM

From someone who has owned HPI, Redcat, Kingmotor and Rovan my current KM (bought new 5 years ago) has been very reliable. I have upgraded several things but the only broken parts have been one lower front control arm , spur gear , body shell and the brake disc seperator.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:39 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Microz
Thanks! I think I'm decided on actually buying a new HPI Baja 5B. I feel more "comfortable" with one of those.
Well, that would be your best reason and I wouldn't want to tell you how to spend your money. Have fun and post some footage!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Microz

Thanks guys! I have another concern; the price to keep it running/maintenance. I've heard that 1/5 scale parts prices are much higher, but is it really that bad? I'm only going to be racing, so I think I wouldn't be breaking too many parts. Also, the only upgrades I plan on doing are suspension limiters, tuned pipe, and a lipo rx battery. Oh and an outerwears pre filter. Later on down the road I may get a more powerful engine, but to start, I probably won't do that. Is it actually that expensive to have a 1/5 scale car? I've heard of many people dropping thousands upon thousands of dollars into their 1/5 scales, but I just don't have that kind of money, which makes me a little hesitant about getting one.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:08 AM
GT100
My Feedback: (1)

I feel like the price of running a gas car is much much less than a nitro. Examples are gas vs nitro, spark plug vs glow plug, engine rebuild costs. This are pretty much all the expensive parts of it. A gallon of nitro is around 30 and a gallon of gas is around 4. Glow plugs are 8-10 and spark plugs are 8 and last a lot longer. I've rebuilt engines for as little as 60 bucks for too end kits. That won't happen with a nitro. The people that sink thousands of dollars on their 1/5 scales have major mods done to them. Maybe a 700-800 motor and a 200 pipe, the allow parts and 2 speed trannies and such will set you back some. But for the most part, stock parts are cheap.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Microz

Originally Posted by GT100
I feel like the price of running a gas car is much much less than a nitro. Examples are gas vs nitro, spark plug vs glow plug, engine rebuild costs. This are pretty much all the expensive parts of it. A gallon of nitro is around 30 and a gallon of gas is around 4. Glow plugs are 8-10 and spark plugs are 8 and last a lot longer. I've rebuilt engines for as little as 60 bucks for too end kits. That won't happen with a nitro. The people that sink thousands of dollars on their 1/5 scales have major mods done to them. Maybe a 700-800 motor and a 200 pipe, the allow parts and 2 speed trannies and such will set you back some. But for the most part, stock parts are cheap.
Cool thanks! So if I don't look into doing any major mods, it shouldn't be too expensive to run and maintain a 1/5 scale? I'm coming from only electric cars, so thats why I'm a little bit hesitant.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:11 PM
bbuzzard

The name of the game is to run the correct gas/oil mix, good servos, a killswitch, and don't run into inanimate objects...I've learned my lessons Running petrol vs nitro is cheaper but the only issue running largescale is finding enough space to let it loose.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Microz

Originally Posted by bbuzzard
The name of the game is to run the correct gas/oil mix, good servos, a killswitch, and don't run into inanimate objects...I've learned my lessons Running petrol vs nitro is cheaper but the only issue running largescale is finding enough space to let it loose.
Thanks! I've actually decided on staying smaller than 1/5 at the moment because its all I can really afford for now.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:33 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell some of your others to buy a gasser. I own 3 a hpi baja which always starts reliabally , a redcat xt, it had carb issues the and the throttle servo croaked really fast. 5 minutes of running and it shut down. To date new walboro carb, new throttle servo. Number 3 a Rovan 5t my dream ride, have not run it yet.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Microz

Originally Posted by silverman1
Sell some of your others to buy a gasser. I own 3 a hpi baja which always starts reliabally , a redcat xt, it had carb issues the and the throttle servo croaked really fast. 5 minutes of running and it shut down. To date new walboro carb, new throttle servo. Number 3 a Rovan 5t my dream ride, have not run it yet.
Well I mean the upkeep is whats keeping me away. The price of tires is quite steep, as is parts.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Microz

Gah I find myself always coming back to this thought....

I'm longing for a 1/5 scale again, but again the doubt of upkeep prices is keeping me away.

Lets see here...if my only other RC cars are scalers/crawlers, an electric 1/10 for the indoor season, a 1/36 micro car, and maybe some micro planes, then I think that I may be able to handle it. Not 100% sure though. I would be keeping the 1/5 for strictly racing and no bashing whatsoever. Not even competitive racing...just for fun. Basically, just running around the track with others and no real intentions of trying to win...just having straight up, pure fun. I have no clue what it is, but theres just this huge appeal for me to these gas burning, big cars even if I feel like I can't afford it. Anyone else want to share their experience on owning a 1/5 scale vehicle and what the upkeep costs are like? I know some of you already have, but if anyone else has more to add, that would be great.

Last edited by Microz; 12-09-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:24 PM
bbuzzard

To be honest, I would find the closest track to you that runs largescale and ask the folks there. I still think petrol is way cheaper to run than nitro and if you prepare your vehicle with tried and true upgrades, you won't be disappointed. FYI, there are more Baja-specific forums that can help, if that's the model you want.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Microz

To be honest, I would find the closest track to you that runs largescale and ask the folks there. I still think petrol is way cheaper to run than nitro and if you prepare your vehicle with tried and true upgrades, you won't be disappointed. FYI, there are more Baja-specific forums that can help, if that's the model you want.
Thanks! I'll do that. Although the indoor season is on now, but maybe some of them run 1/5 scale. I'll have to ask around and which I will do. I am actually now leaning towards that new Losi XL Buggy since its $1000, 4wd, and seems like an overall better purchase. It just came out, so I'll have to wait for some reviews, etc. before I jump on it. The thing is, I see kids my age flying 91" gas airplanes on other forums, and they have no problem paying for it...if they can pay for that, I don't know why I doubt being able to pay for a 1/5 gasser. There are kids in my school who spend $80 on shoes every month!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 PM
bbuzzard

I would say go with a 4WD but IMO hold off on the Losi XL until somebody actually runs it...there are many well supported buggy platforms (FG, MCD, Redcat, etc...) out there with aftermarket parts. I've had a majority of them in my garage but I am back down to my trusty dusties as I got into multicopters also, LOL!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Microz

I would say go with a 4WD but IMO hold off on the Losi XL until somebody actually runs it...there are many well supported buggy platforms (FG, MCD, Redcat, etc...) out there with aftermarket parts. I've had a majority of them in my garage but I am back down to my trusty dusties as I got into multicopters also, LOL!
Yep I'll be making my final decision in March, so I have some time. Just need to start weighing out the pros and cons...I wonder if its worth selling off some of my current RC fleet for a 1/5 scale gasser...

Multicopters must get expensive as well!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:45 PM
ratpower396

The losi buggy is for the most part the same as the losi5 just no body and different tires. So whatever people have said about the 5 should be the same for the buggy.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Microz

Cool thanks! I'm actually leaning towards a HPI Baja 5B SS kit now...
Old 12-11-2013, 05:45 PM
bbuzzard

Originally Posted by ratpower396
The losi buggy is for the most part the same as the losi5 just no body and different tires. So whatever people have said about the 5 should be the same for the buggy.
That is totally not the case...the new buggy doesn't share the same platform/parts...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWAEcEtKN98
Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 PM
bbuzzard

Originally Posted by Microz
Cool thanks! I'm actually leaning towards a HPI Baja 5B SS kit now...
That's the best bet...then you will have a better grasp on how to fix things when you need to do repairs or upgrades

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.