Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

I want 5th scale Brushless, which one?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

I want 5th scale Brushless, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 AM
CaptBags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want 5th scale Brushless, which one?

I want a good 5th scale brushless RC. I've been looking for a while and it seems HPI has quit selling their Trophy Truggy Flux, and the E-Baja is hard to find. Even the clone versions like Rovan seem to have disappeared. I'm not sure why. So I guess Redcat is the only decent game in town? Are the Redcats good or bad?

While I'm skeptical of the reliability and parts availability - I do like the looks of Chimera EP and XB-E. Which one is better? I know they have the same basic chassis and suspension but the XB-E rear shocks mount to a tower where the Chimera rear shocks mount to the cage more upright. Which handles better, is more durable, more fun and Why?Also when looking at Redcat Racing Page and Rampage Shop.com they say the XB-E have a 980KV motor. But Redcat site says the Chimera has a 980KV motor while the Rampage Shop.com says the Chimera has a 1220KV motor. I thought they have the same motor?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i am not 100% sure, but i do think both are based on the same chassis.
The XB-E has been out longer and i have seen more threads/vids of them upgraded.
Im sure it has a 980kv motor. 1220 sounds too high and it is more likely that rampage shop just made a typo.

Comparing the redcat 1/5 ep's to the HPI models is apples and oranges. the HPIs cost more, are a bit tougher (still need some mods tho) and have more powerful ESC.
But, the ESC/motor in the redcat's does the job very well. Basically the same setup that is in the Rovan and KM models.

here is my opinion...if i had the money id buy a HPI. A bit higher quality and more parts availiblity is nice to have. But, unless you intend to be launching your 1/5 brushless model 20-30' up in the air, the redcats will do the job. I know there are threads and you can read up on any weak points in the redcat models, but overall they do nicely. And for $700 you get a 4 wheel drive 1/5 brushless...which is pretty impressive.

I know a few years ago i had a KM Baja and i thought it was amazing...until i ran with a guy who has a rampage MT. The bigger, heavier and 4wd rampage outperformed my KM Baja in every way. Handling, acceleration, braking ect. The only edge the KM may have had was top speed...but even that was extremely close.

I would love to have the chimera EP, or possibly even the rampage rally car.

I know the 2 biggest upgrades i often see in regards to redcat 1/5 models is a stronger steering servo and often upgraded radio. It is funny to buy a $500+ model and get a $30 radio with it. They do the job just fine tho.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:16 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've seen the XBe is pretty durable and the deivetrain has no issues with stock power or the popular upgrade to the Castle 1717 motor. They seem to hold up well to 8s systems too. Of course there are upgrades available from Redcat, 7075rc and others if you want aluminum knuckles, different motor mount for 1/5 8s motors, etc.

Redcatrampageforum has lots of info and build on the XBe and chimera, worth checking out.