Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Why do you think some companies are staying away from 1/5th scale?

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Why do you think some companies are staying away from 1/5th scale?

Old 07-11-2016, 02:34 PM
The Saylors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you think some companies are staying away from 1/5th scale?

I've been in the rc world for a little bit and i have noticed that some companies are all over the 1/5th scale world while others haven't touched it. Any reason as to why this is? Is it just because the electric parts for the 1/5th scales are so limited leaving mostly gas options? Just a morbid curiousity
Old 07-12-2016, 03:10 PM
nitrohead5300

I believe cost mostly and the large area needed to race 1/5 scale on.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:53 AM
Ewadz3006

gotta be sales. not too many people are gonna spend 1000$ or more on one. where everybody and their brother will buy a 3-400$ rtr.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:54 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
I believe cost mostly and the large area needed to race 1/5 scale on.

Ding ding ding...you are correct!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:43 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Ewadz3006 View Post
gotta be sales. not too many people are gonna spend 1000$ or more on one. where everybody and their brother will buy a 3-400$ rtr.
After hop ups the price gets comparable though.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Ewadz3006

Originally Posted by ByronRC View Post
After hop ups the price gets comparable though.
Maybe but your not comparing apples to apples though either. electrics would stomp a stock 1/5 scale in everything but size. I know if i would have paid full price for my baja 5b i would not be very happy.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:09 PM
jimjeep

For those who want a large scale car there are already many options from several companies, some of which specialize in only larger cars. We've seen many come and go over the years and it's usually the cost, size, and popularity of the scale which holds it back. In Europe they are popularly raced from what I have seen and most or the better makes come from Europe and Turkey. There are also a few manufacturers from the far east as well making a variety of them. It's a tough egg to crack since many of them may also need upgrades which drives the price even higher. I have a few large scales and have worked on and run several others. As much as the Baja 5b brought 5th scale into more popularity it slightly hurt it in the fact that its design and materials caused it to necessitate many costly upgrades to continue running. Losi has jumped in the pool, as-well-as Traxxas now, and who knows what manufacturer might be next to put a new one out. Who knows? If their popularity continues to rise we might see a shift and 1/8th scale tracks might be enlarged to accommodate 1/5th scale car racing. We can only hope it happens here!