Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Clutch Slipping on FG MB

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 04:05 PM
rfaster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slipping on FG MB

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone else has had their clutch start slipping? Hoping its something I can adjust... MB ran like a champ, then I noticed it was not engaging fully. Trying to determine the best way to troubleshoot this issue. Are there any doc's on how to take the engine/clutch off the buggy to inspect. I'm new at the FG thing - I would usually just grab the manual - is there an online manual for the MB?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:22 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clutch Slipping on FG MB

Clutches last for a VERY long time and probably is not the problem. You probably dont have an adjustable one since they are a upgrade, although you can change the springs to engage earlier or later. I think you may have another problem. When its running have you put your foot in front of it and ran the throttle hard? What happens? Do the wheels spin? does the diff spin? does the drive gear spin? does the pinion spin? Work your way from the rear wheels to the pinion and see where its failing! I would guess the drive gear has gone bad.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:30 PM
ammdrew

I would guess you have a set screw loose on the rear outdrives or a gear, or you may have rounded out the gear carrier on the spur.
very unlikly the clutch is slipping moer likly for it to be grabbing to much.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:50 PM
rfaster

Spoke with Andrew - and went thru the troubleshooting steps - Thanks Andrew!

It looks like the one-way ( I have the 2 speed installed) - so I have the 2 one way bearings on order - should be set by end of next week. Good news is that i now know how to tear the car apart :-)

Question- Does the 2 speed have anything do to with wear on the one way bearing. IE: _ will having the 2speed installed cause this to happen again. I picked the MB up 2nd hand - it has 2 speed, pipe etc... Its about 1 month old - according to ower only ran a couple of times. Today was my first Dirt run and after about 25 minutes this problem occured. It runs like MAD with the 2 speed and FG tuned pipe.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:33 PM
ammdrew

there are no one way bearings in a single speed car.
you only need about two parts to go back to single speed.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:36 PM
rfaster

Appreciate the information- thanks. I have all the parts for the single speed - Perhaps I'll bolt it back together witht the single speed for now.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:18 AM
quarterscalelegends

You did not mention it was a 2 speed... The one way is definitely the problem then. I would even consider finding a new one third party unless you want to change them on a regular basis.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:36 PM
rfaster

The ones on my kit are HF1012's --- called a bearing supply house and they seemed to know what they were. Not sure how I would go about sourcing a better "HF1012". Again - does not seem that too many folks on this board are running the 2 speed. If this one goes it will be the last one I buy - 2 speed is cool but single will have to do.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:28 PM
amitysanimal

I just stripped out the gear carrier on my MB. Looks like this will be a week spot, should have a set crew or something for extra grip to prevent this.

amitysanimal
Old 10-10-2004, 08:57 PM
ammdrew

they make alloy one.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:40 PM
rfaster

Ok - I'm back with the very same question a year + Later. Last time it turned out to be the one way bearing for my 2 speed. Over the weekend I found that I was having a very similar problem with another kit of mine (leopard race). I went to run it and found that the right rear wheel was moving but the left was not. As I increased the power I could hear a slipping/whining sound but the kit did not go any faster. I have taken the car apart and the one way is fine this time. I have also checked the gear carrier - its in good shape. No noise in the diff -

Everything seems to be in working order - this leaves me with the CLUTCH - but based on info I got before that the Cluth does not usually go bad I'm looking for other things to Trouble Shoot.

Thx.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:49 PM
radio_controlled_mad

if power is going to one wheel and not to another - sounds like its the diff that needs attention,if one wheel turns then the clutch is engageing so that will be fine.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
rfaster

Well - the power that was going to the right wheel was marginal power... was thinking about the diff but wanted to see if there were any other trouble shooting steps I could take before ripping it apart.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:17 PM
MrMikeG

If it is not a LSD then one wheel spining is normal, if you lift the back of the car do both wheels spin? You could have a bad hub bearing on the left wheel.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:51 PM
jimbo1890

Maybe a loose drive square?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:29 AM
rfaster

I believe the Leopard race comes with a LSD - when car was lifted only the right wheel spun - and it was not spinning any faster with more throttle...

Where is the square drive - I will have to look at that.

ORIGINAL: MrMikeG

If it is not a LSD then one wheel spining is normal, if you lift the back of the car do both wheels spin? You could have a bad hub bearing on the left wheel.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:00 AM
jimbo1890

It's the alloy square that the rear wheels fit on. Maybe a loose grub screw there or also could be a loose grub screw on the diff pinion.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:58 AM
radio_controlled_mad

ORIGINAL: rfaster

I believe the Leopard race comes with a LSD - when car was lifted only the right wheel spun - and it was not spinning any faster with more throttle...

Where is the square drive - I will have to look at that.

ORIGINAL: MrMikeG

the leopard race comes with a non adjustable alloy diff,a lsd diff will cost a extra £100 - £200 depending on the one you get,if its a lsd diff it will have hex bolts on the diff case to adjust it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89878.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	346962  
Old 11-01-2005, 10:17 AM
rfaster

Gotcha - alum diff for Leopard Race.

Square drive looks good.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:23 PM
kiora

rounded the plastic square out of the wheel? sounds silly but its easily overlooked, what happens with no wheels fitted? pin sheared on dogbone/axel ball housing cracked/broken with missing balls.

More then likely youve checked but................................[&:] you never know.

col.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

It sounds to me like a diff problem.... And knowing you have not pulled it apart yet makes it seem most likely to me. With both wheels off the ground if one wheel is spun CW, the opposing wheel should spin CCW at the exact same rate. If it seems to engage slowly, then the is a stripped gear in the diff. Even if it does seem to engage correctly, I would still pull it apart and check out the gears, rounded off teeth can make the diff appear to work fine until power is applied and it will slip.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:34 PM
rfaster

Ace - I plan to take the Diff apart tomorow - have tried everything else I could think of -- hoping its something in the diff so I can get back to running my new leopard.
ORIGINAL: Acs_guitars

It sounds to me like a diff problem.... And knowing you have not pulled it apart yet makes it seem most likely to me. With both wheels off the ground if one wheel is spun CW, the opposing wheel should spin CCW at the exact same rate. If it seems to engage slowly, then the is a stripped gear in the diff. Even if it does seem to engage correctly, I would still pull it apart and check out the gears, rounded off teeth can make the diff appear to work fine until power is applied and it will slip.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:55 PM
rfaster

So I found that when I spun one wheel the other did not spin in the opposite direction at the same rate - in fact it did not spin at all. Based on this I took apart the Diff - with the diff apart and the shafts in the diff it is now working like I expect it to work - when you turn one way the other side turns the opposite way at the same rate. Diff gears look good - linkage looks good etc...

I have check the dogbones - from end to end - everything appears to be fine. I'm at a loss.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:19 PM
ammdrew

drive squares, set screws loose, rounded wheel?
Old 11-05-2005, 12:12 AM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

+1!!!

I detroyed three sets of drive squares on my MT. If your problem persists try the firehammer steel squares; less than $20 for a set of four.
ORIGINAL: ammdrew

drive squares, set screws loose, rounded wheel?