Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

FG Monster Truck (Gas) vs Traxxas Revo (Nitro)

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG Monster Truck (Gas) vs Traxxas Revo (Nitro)

Old 01-08-2005, 08:15 PM
ibstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FG Monster Truck (Gas) vs Traxxas Revo (Nitro)

can get some of them i think
1. not a Leopard body shell
2. he is
3. Samba
4. pass
5. lets air in and out helps stop pinching on high revs
6. as Acs_guitars
7. yeap
8. how deep are your pockets
Old 01-08-2005, 08:25 PM
FGUK
Banned

1. No not a Leopard, it's a one off shell, no more available, ever I hope!

2. Yes it's mine!

3. Samba, don't know who told you they are less responsive than the FG pipe? I haven't had the FG pipe so can't really say, definitely stronger though.

4. I've got 4 mediums on, supposed to be hard on front but that makes it understeer, FG do this to cater for the new user.

5. Hole in each rim, stops the tyres ballooning at high revs and gives better grip I think, less bouncy.

6. Foam inserts are not available when I last checked, am happy with mine without.

7. Yes, you might need to change the gearing though, standard Marder gearing 18/46 gives slow acceleration but very very high top end, I'm now on 16/48 good compromise.

8. Steel pinion, alloy gear carrier, alloy rear top arms with extension pieces, alloy front and rear uprights. All to strengthen it, mine is now all alloy, still break bits sometimes but getting less and less as I replaced the plastic with alloy.

My car has cost in excess of £2500 Sterling now, oops!

Enjoy it!
Old 01-08-2005, 08:36 PM
dubby

The only thing that bugs me about your car Aaron is how clean it is. Especially as I know just how much you abuse it.

And this will shock you.... I cleaned mine this week!!!! Still looks like I havent though
Old 01-09-2005, 05:15 AM
ricok

Appreciate the advice guys...

Right,

1. You say it's not a Leopard body shell. Do you know if its very difficult to customize a standard Leopard body shell to fit a Marder?
2. Very nice (The Pitstop Tuning Marder)! What did you do to the body shell at the front. Does not look standard?
3. I read alot of driver's say the FG pipe gives more bottom end power. The samba is more a topend power pipe. Any comments on this? Which one will have the best sound?
4. I think I'll go for the Medium MT tires then...
5. I'll go for the holes in the rims...
6. The foam inserts are available. Don't know if I'm gonna fit then though...
7. Right, I'll take your word for that. I'll get me a 16/48 gearset.
8. It seems that all the mentioned parts are only to make the car more robust. I think I'm gonna wait until the stuff starts to break. Then I'll start with the reinforcing.

One or 2 other things...

Are there anything worth fitting to get the Marder's handling better (thats now with the MT tires fitted). I don't like the idea of a car rolling over all the time. What about the wheel spacers? Does it make a difference? Anyway, if you guys can recommend suspension upgrades thats worth the money, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2005, 05:17 AM
ricok

Appreciate the advice guys...

Right,

1. You say it's not a Leopard body shell. Do you know if its very difficult to customize a standard Leopard body shell to fit a Marder?
2. Very nice (The Pitstop Tuning Marder)! What did you do to the body shell at the front. Does not look standard?
3. I read alot of driver's say the FG pipe gives more bottom end power. The samba is more a topend power pipe. Any comments on this? Which one will have the best sound?
4. I think I'll go for the Medium MT tires then...
5. I'll go for the holes in the rims...
6. The foam inserts are available. Don't know if I'm gonna fit then though...
7. Right, I'll take your word for that. I'll get me a 16/48 gearset.
8. It seems that all the mentioned parts are only to make the car more robust. I think I'm gonna wait until the stuff starts to break. Then I'll start with the reinforcing.

One or 2 other things...

Are there anything worth fitting to get the Marder's handling better (thats now with the MT tires fitted). I don't like the idea of a car rolling over all the time. What about the wheel spacers? Does it make a difference? Anyway, if you guys can recommend suspension upgrades thats worth the money, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2005, 05:33 AM
FGUK
Banned

No problem at all!

That's why we're here isn't it?!

1. I "think" the Leopard shell will go on if you move and make some mounts for it, why not just buy the Leopard first though? I wish I had! lol

2. Body is trimmed at the front to, A. give room for the KPD bits, it didn't fit very well before I adjusted it. And B. To look a bit different!!

3. I'm very pleased with my Samba, it's about 50% more here in cost but better to get the good one the first time around? I didn't like the idea of the alloy can, bit fragile for me, sounds good, quieter but good!

4. Cool, probably best choice, haven't noticed them wearing too much, even though I run on tarmac.........

5. Holes are good!

6. Personal choice I think, I couldn't get any so glued without.

7. Try it with the 18/46 first, it looks awesome screaming off into the distance at a massive speed!

8. Good idea, no point in spending until you need to, only reason I started with alloy was to ensure no "down time" I get a bit stressed when my toy is broken!

I've got the widest wheel spacers available on my rears, PM Steve Sunnocks on this board "AVGAS" for further details, I got a lot of my stuff from him, top bloke, very helpful and patient!

You'll have to try ridiculously hard to turn it over, mine is very stable now..........

As for suspension, don't put Anti Roll bars on it, take the shocks apart and refill with oil of your choice, I went for 2000 wt FG oil all round, nice action now.

One or two more for you..........

Old 01-09-2005, 11:29 AM
ricok

If I had the budget, I would have bought the Leopard. Damn! The oil your talking about, 2000 WT FG oil - I assume its a thinner oil than standard?

Did you change anything else, accept for the spacers and oil, to get the car's handling better?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

The wider track width from those MT tires will help keep you from rolling.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:19 PM
FGUK
Banned

Not sure if the 2000 WT Fg oil is thinner than standard, what I do know though is when I took the dampers apart and emptied the original oil out, it was very thick, but also the amounts were different in each shock, I think it must have been a Friday afternoon car.

As for what else I've changed, well everything now is different from the original, I'm sure all that alloy has had an effect on handling, I thought it was heavier than a standard Marder but I don't think there's a lot in it, I think it's just been more about "Blueprinting" bringing everything to within the right tolerance and ensuring every joint moves smoothly, a bit of love goes a long way!
Old 01-09-2005, 02:59 PM
ricok

Do you guys no anything about the RTR equipement - radio and so on. Is it up to scratch?
Old 01-09-2005, 03:31 PM
FGUK
Banned

Is it the Hitec Aggressor? The one on page 188 of the current catalogue?

If it is, I think there are a few on this forum who might not buy it again if they had the chance................
Old 01-10-2005, 05:46 AM
RC Collector

I would recommend a budget FM computer radio. I run a JR XR3i in my MT, use the throttle deadband feature to eliminate the gap between throttle up from idle and clutch engagement, and exponential to smooth out throttle response.

I would think that FG will charge a premium for the RTR Hitec. Order the car with servos only, buy your own radio (get synth for a few dollars more). Don't forget a couple of good 3300 NiMH receiver packs.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:00 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Hello, gents. I have been reading rc threads on the internet for months, but this is my first time ever taking part in one, so please forgive me if I still do not know all of the abbreviations that y'all use frequently. Here is my situation:

I have had a T MAXX...hated it...TRAXXAS can bite me.
I have had a Losi XXXNT...broke it constantly...sold it to another sucker.
Now, I drive a Kyosho Inferno 1/8 buggy...and I have replaced more parts than I care to list.

I am tired...so tired. I do not want any more nitro trucks, but I get board with electric stuff.

What I want is a big, loud, obnoxious, tough, easily maintained monster RC that I can drive without worry. I do not want to continually run to the hobby shop to buy or order parts. I am as hard on my RC stuff as anyone, and I NEED something as tough as a tank!

I really like the Monster Beetle. I have researched the FG Marder (and all of its copy-cat-clones), the FG Monster truck, and the FG Monster Beetle. I have also watched videos of each in action. The Monster Beetle with the 26cc motor impresses me the most and I know it is what I want, but what I do not know is what upgrade parts I will need in order to make it tank-tough, right from the start.

I live, eat, and breath radio control (my wife will attest to that), so I do not mind spending the time to replace several parts upon opening the package-especially if they are likely to break, anyway. The day I crank it and break in the motor will be the happiest day of my life, and I want the happiness to continue for years (without any four-letter words or cries for help).

Please don't hold any ideas back, because as soon as I have saved enough money, I want to buy it all at once and be completely satisfied.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:42 AM
RC Collector

Welcome, icecreamslick. The FG MB is a good choice. If you haven't already, check out this link for ideas on key upgrades:

http://www.molzermoweryracing.com/sasranddoffroad.htm

Since you've made up your mind on what to get, I would suggest you ask further MB questions on one of the MB threads.

Unfortunately, in this hobby no car is indestructible. You will break (or wear out) stuff, and so should start a dialogue with the nearest (FG, in your case) dealer. Unless you're fortunate to have one close to you, FG parts are going to be a mail-order thing.

Right there is also the reason why the Revo and T-Maxx are so popular. They're not the toughest trucks, but every Hobby Shop carries parts - and they are cheap. Remember that your LHS makes it's money from replacement parts and those pricey hop-ups (which they recommend to toughen-up the truck).

You could spend thousands on your MB, make it all-aluminum, etc, but then instead of breaking parts you'll be bending parts. Would recommend spending time behind the wheel to get to know the limits of your car, and then avoid driving it beyond these.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:44 AM
JRexA

A friend bought one RTR, it came with the Hitec Agressor FM, and so far He haven't had any trouble.(in around 8 hours driving)

Happy driving from Greenland
Jesper Rex
Old 01-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Featherpluckin
My Feedback: (6)

before you go out and get either or check out the firehammer from duratrax. Ive had mine now for two weeks and finally got fed up woth the cold and took it out anyways (figuring if something snaped well duratrax would replace it ). Well the motor sstarted first yank on the cord and off i went ( Yes i did weatherproof first as there is about 14 inches of snow on the ground ). this thing is a blast regular fuel oil mixture a 1 year gaurentee RTR out of the box (steering servo good stand with an upgrade) but passable. Well i went through my first tank (this thing makes on heck of a sweet sound) no problems. Took the body off check engine temp and gave everyting a quick once over. Brilliant engine was nice and cool (mind you it was -9C at the time) and my weather proofing seemed to be doing a great job of keeping moisture out of the ellectronics (saran wrap and duct tape) so i filled up and this time set the thing for warp 10 and off i went. Holy bat crap can this thing jump. I have been in rc since 1981 have just about every type of vehicle except helicopter (to damn ugly). I have scratch built planes boats and cars ( duster 540 was my first on road car and i still have it) (does anyone remeber the duster 540?). I have never been more impressed to this point ive got 4 tanks of fuel through the car. So far no problems with the car. Only thing im looking forward to is adding some alloy parts, Customizing and extra body I have. Cant wait till spring time though, cause none of the fg guys will bring thier cars out for a little winter fun. So much eaisr to tune also (like you dont need to or break in or spend a fortune on nitro) thats my opinion. Just remeber 2 things, one get someting that you van get parts to relativelty quickly (noting is worse then waiting for weeks. Two have fun no matter what you get and the peoloe that trash other brands well just feel sorry for them, cayus ethere the ones always pulled over at the side swearing while everyone else is haviong a good time. Thanks
Old 01-13-2005, 02:08 PM
dubby

Well my money will always go on quality which is why I got the FG over a cheap chinese copy! You only ever get what you pay for.

Parts, hop-ups and availabilty are far better from FG.

I suppose my main reason is that ive always held low opinions of companies that copy other peoples designs and cannot get off thier arses to design thier own products.

Im sure the chinese copy is good value for money but as with most things the cheap stuff always costs you more in the end.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Featherpluckin
My Feedback: (6)

Welll I had a feeling it wouldnt be long before someone came out witht eh copy thing, my goodness. Rc vehicleas have been around in thier basically ptresent form for over 20 years( no includining early early rc vehicles). the fact that someone is stuck on one manufacturer copying features from another manufacturer just boggles my mind. All manufacturers do this ion one form or another. Do you really think that right now as you read this there isnt someone such as fg or marder, or traxxasc not ripping apart firehammer to find out how good it is and what features that they are using theycan use to improve thier own rides. All manufacturers doi this from full scale autos all theway down to the smallest vehicles. If you were worried about one manufacturer copying another you would still be riding aroundin your great grandfathers model t. The fact that some people trash another compabny when they have never owned one of their products ( I have owned marder and and fg as well as a jacrabbit) is opne of the things that will keep large scale rc frm becoming main stream outside of a few select areas . It uis really time that some people opened their minds to the possibilitys.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:03 PM
dubby

I havent owned a carson I will admit. However I have used one on more than one occasion and personally wasnt all that impressed. I also repaired it for the owner and again wasnt very impressed.

That said, I still phoned up germany to order one as at the time I couldnt afford an FG and after talking to them and listening to what they had to say I waited till I had more money and got a marder.

My marder breaks, and quite often the way I abuse it, but it still has proven to be stronger and more reliable than the carson.

From what I have seen the mader hasnt changed in years so I can really believe they have stripped a carson to improve the marder. And if they have the fact things havent changed must prove something

As for the real care analogy you made, tell me what parts can be swoped from one make to another then which are not sourced from an outside supplier

And while we are talking real cars. The daewoo is basically discontinued vauxhals copied under licence. Vauxhalls are good, Daewoo's fall apart after a week. Copies are generally not a good idea to buy.

The main reason I would not buy a carson is because I can only afford to spend my money once. Therfore I have to buy right first time.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:26 PM
jeepfreak1972

I'm not going to bash either brand -FG or Duratrax. I own the Fg MB and I'm going to by the fire hammer. As far as the copy thing, from what i have read on these forums, Fg is a close copy of a car that Yankee made.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:57 AM
RC Collector

Well said. The Firehammer is a great value at under $900, RTR, which hopefully will attract more people into 1/6 scale. Then, we'll have a much better chance to bash and race our FG's, Carsons, Firehammers against each other rather than the Revos and Maxxes.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:47 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

HEY! Focus, people! I want to know 'what are some important hop-ups for the FG Monster Beetle'?!! : ) You fellows can rant and rave later.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:33 PM
BILKO1

I don't have a MBeetle but on my MT the upper rear arms and uprights were changed first a, because the upright broke and b, the rear upper arms hit the gear when landing awkward.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:26 PM
RY-Guy48840

Hi I am new to the FG MT5 Monster Trucks and I was wonder what doesn't come with the 80% Finiush Truck
Old 01-27-2005, 01:27 PM
RY-Guy48840

Maybe I should Re-Write that, they say the Truck is 80% done, I was wondering What doesn't come with that truck, What will I have to buy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.