Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

FG Monster Truck (Gas) vs Traxxas Revo (Nitro)

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG Monster Truck (Gas) vs Traxxas Revo (Nitro)

Old 01-04-2005, 08:37 PM
ricok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG Monster Truck (Gas) vs Traxxas Revo (Nitro)

I'm a newby in the realm of rc trucking. I need to make a decision on what to buy as my first truck. I'm looking for value for money and don't want to buy twice.

What do I wanna do: I want to be able to do hardcore offroading. That is riding in the bushveld area -> stones, loads of soft sand and so on. My aim at the end of the day is to take the truck offroad with myself riding on the back of a real truck into the bush. I will then control the rc truck from the back of the real truck as we go offroading.

I like bigger, stronger, faster stuff. Right, immediately you'll say go for the FG Monster Truck / Mardar, but something bothers me a lot about the FG's.

** Handling / Suspension Setup **

From all the video's I've downloaded and watched, it seems that the suspension is much to hard/stiff and that the travel of the shocks is too little.

Now, is'nt it better to get something like a Traxxas Revo or mayby a Monster GT for 40% of the price of a FG, but overall the truck gives a better package. That is good handling, durable, moderate power and so on. Not like the FG -> massive power but no handling.

The problem I have with the smaller nitro trucks is the limited driving time +- 15min. The other thing is, will a nitro truck be able to handle the conditions I'm planning to drive it in.

Can one do anything to the FG Monster Trucks suspension to get it up to scratch? By the way, the handling of the FG Mardar seems to be better than the handling of the Beetles and the Monster Trucks - does'nt seem to roll over so easily.

I'd appreciate some advice.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:03 PM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: FG Monster Truck (Gas) vs Traxxas Revo (Nitro)

i have both, i like the Revo, its fast, handles great, but, and this is a big but, its a PITA to break in, and tune. I have mine tuned really good, it runs most of the time great.but everyonce and awhile you have to start and start, heat up the motor,the try to start it again.Also, i won't run it in the cold, its not good for a nitro engine.

Now the MT is AWESOME, infact i want an MB also, i would not hesitate to to buy another, mix oil and gas charge up the pack, and GO! run for 45minutes, fill the tank, change to another batt pack (if you need to} and go again. Now if you are a limited budget buy the Revo and spend alot of time reading and rereading the manual on tunning and so-on. If you can afford to spend the money on the MT then go for it. Its not cheap but its a blast.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:17 PM
ricok

Do you agree that the MT's suspension is not very good. Bounces like a rubber ball! Do you know if theres any way to get suspension softer?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Plum Crazy
My Feedback: (5)

I love my monster beetle and my marder but they arent near as tough as a savage or monster gt. If your going to crash a lot get a savage or monster gt they dont break as easy and you can get parts easier. PS I'm not saying that fg's arent strong they are just not as strong as a savage.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:56 PM
No Moa

The suspension is a little stiff, but the Revo bottoms out on huge jumps, i like the savage, and the monster GT, and the Losi LST. Make you selection carefully, i have had huge luck with Traxxas, that is y i bought the Revo. If you have the cash, get an Monster Beetle. it doesn't bounce like the MT. If no, look into any of the above mentioned, Revo is a small block, makes almost as much power as the Savage, and the MGT. If you want a bigger nitro look in the CEN Genesis, its got a 46 size motor in it.
For that matter buy a Marder and some Monster tires.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:33 PM
MichyMuck

From a former Savage Abuser!

I have got an FG Beetle and a FG Monster Truck(New in Box). I will have a hard time buying Nitro Fuel or even getting close to a Glow Plug igniter again. The Gasser is the only way to go. I beat my Savage pretty hard and spent more on Parts/Motors in the last year than the FG and Radio cost together. I also echo No Moa PITA comments on Starting and Tuning. I just burn gas now while my nitro buddies curse and swear while they fix their miniture 1/8 Scale crap.

My recommendation is to give the Large Scale a chance if its in your budget. You will be extremely happy.

By the Way the FG Beetle with Zenoah 26 leaves the Picco .26 Savage in the dust.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:56 PM
raptor 8

micky muck did you finally get your order in and if so that's pretty quick gettin it all going considering it has been -25 here in alberta for better that a week dude. where did you buy both cars.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:50 AM
ibstar

most people here seem to either lose a shock at each corner or fill them with much thinner oil and thats done the job
i've had many models and would never go back to nitro.
yeah if you have a big crash in a fg it will brake something it weighs 20lb thats alot of weight to stop. a revo probarly weighs the same as a packet of smokes
if you want to off road with it petrol is the only way to go, you will spend more time fetching the nitro to restart it.
take a petrol out with nitro mates, they soon get fed up with yours sitting there ticking over for 10 minutes while they are refueling and trying to get it started again.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:41 AM
BILKO1

I bought a CEN Genesis on a whim then a MT a month later the Genesis dosen't get used much any more even though its got more power the Genesis gets trounced by the MT. Also i prefer running for an hour with the MT than 15-20 mins with the Genesis, just my opinion I've even had to remove/modify shocks and do other mods to the Genesis to make it handle better so any car/truck you buy will need adjustments to suit your driving style.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:22 AM
No Moa

another thing is what do your buddys have??? if they have Nitros, might be better to get a nitro, its no fun running over your buddies nitro trucks with the MT, they temd to get p!$$ed!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:57 AM
brendan

Ive got a Savage, Revo, MT and Marder.

The Revo out handles the lot of them but is best on smaller tracks, I think it would get lost in a lot of space. My MT handles very poorly as it is but its completely standard and Ive been given some ideas for very cheap and free mods that are supposed to make a lot of difference. The Marder handles a lot better out of the box, even when fitted with MT wheels and tyres.

The only problem with the Marder is the limited ground clearance (which is why I bought the MT in the first place) so if you run in rocky areas you might struggle with it.

Dont be thinking the FGs are strong, theyre not, at least not when standard. They weight a lot so when they crash they can do a lot of damage easily.

If I was out in large open space then Id go for a Marder with the option of fitting MT rims if you need extra ground clearance.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:33 PM
p113

why r u people saying FGs arnt strong thats a load of bull**** if u own a nitro and a fg go and compare them youll see thin tiny little flimsy plastic bits on the nitro and huge strong double-wishbones on the FG
as for the supposed bad handling i guss its what suits u but all standerd off roaders come with very hard shocks but the are cheap options if u dont like it like that i personally like the set up on my marder witch is standerd except for font disk brakes (cable) it handels well and doing power slides is great fun wheel spining and being able to run over my mates car when his body is off is great!(not that i do but its possible)

as 4 quality think of it this way when u bought your FG how much more strain r u putting it through than the nitro and crashes i had 1 with the marder into a post a rectangular 1 i was slowing down at the time the marder hit it at about 20mph and nothing broke!

so next time your thrashing ur FG on a bumpy feild doing 40 odd mph think if your nitro could do that

p113
Old 01-05-2005, 07:12 PM
dubby

P113,

Try using some full stops and comma's when you are ranting and your post may be readable

As for your statements I personally think you are wrong. Nitro's dont carry the weight that marders etc carry so therefore are less likely to break and from experience this have proven true for me. Nitro's also do roughly the same top end speed so therefore in scale speeds crash alot faster than the 1/6ths.

However, I would always recomend a marder/carson over a nitro any day as they are more fun and on the whole cheaper to run. I will never go back to nitro.

As for the handling, nitros definately handle better! But for me the fact that I have to think when driving my marder only adds to the fun. I cant see the point of something that handles like its on rails and requires no real driver input.

Please not that these are my own personal opinions and not necessarily going to conform with other peoples experiences.

Lee
Old 01-05-2005, 10:26 PM
USABaja5B

It sounds like the type of driving you will be doing is made for the Savage. Its nitro, but not as much of a pain as the Traxxas. I would wait for the FG boys to get some better suspension parts before you took it out in the brush.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:33 AM
p113

dubby
i agree that wasnt very well written it was quick

but more to the point, what im trying to say is that alot of people recently have been saying that FGs arnt very well built (maybe not in this tread but in a number of forums).
the part that anyoys me is that they dont take into acount the exta forces that these FGs are being put through. Yes the nitros are nipper that larescale in general but as you said no where near as much fun, as for the guy that said the marders, MTs and MBs dont have long travel suspenstion i cant understand what hes on about, granted its a little hardbut for me its more or less how i want it, of corse it depends where yu run them.

p113
Old 01-07-2005, 06:31 AM
RC Collector

The Revo is a great 1/10 scale truck.

The FG MT is a great 1/6 scale truck.

Ricok, sounds like you have to choose scale first, then the truck.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

I have been away from RCU for some time, and I found myself laughing at just the thought of a comparrison between theses two trucks when I saw the thread title in the forums. First off... If you want to know about the REVO go read some of the Savage vs Revo threads or the simply put "Traxxas Sucks" threads. I have been in 1/10, and 1/8 scale MT's for years and IMO the only 2 MT's of that scale I would ever own is either a Savage or LOSI LST. I have had bad luck with Traxxas in the past and I also work at a LHS part time and I see too many broke REVO's to want one for myself.

As far as these 2 that you are comparing: There is really no good way to compare the two, there is nothing alike between the two[&:].... The LHS sells both of these and I have had a chance to run both around the 1/8 buggy track. THe REVO runs strong, but is known to have problems with the new transmission's electronics, and also the second you land sideways off of a jump or hit a barrier you will break/bend suspension parts. Also it is NITRO, which IMO is a waste of time and money. Nitro engines can be a pain to tune (especially for a newbie) and the price of fuel is outrageous. The FG, though not 4wd yet, is a great performer and can wheelie like no other. The size alone is impressive and the Zenoah engines are the best in the industry. For the money it is also the better deal... No more $30/gal fuel, and no having to replace parts just because the cheap plastic part broke. Also instead of only getting 12 mins of runtime, you get in the neighborhood of 30-45 min. IMO the FG wins hands down, even for a newbie, because of it's user-friendliness in being easy to tune, start, and maintain. It is more durable, handles very well, and like I said, IT'S HUGE! Anyway... that is just my .02 GOOD LUCK WHICH EVER YOU CHOSE and welcom to RC!

Gasoline vs Nitro[:'(]....... I'll go with Gasoline every time
Old 01-07-2005, 04:17 PM
No Moa

ORIGINAL: Acs_guitars

THe REVO runs strong, but is known to have problems with the new transmission's electronics, and also the second you land sideways off of a jump or hit a barrier you will break/bend suspension parts.

I have launched my revo dozens of times, and NEVER had a broken suspension part yet, i'm sure i will,but i have to say its been super tough, much tougher than either of my T-Maxxes. And also, if you don't get the opti-drive wet, it works fine, but as soon as you go near a puddle, its all over.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Big5th

"Acs" you da man! lay it out like a proper gent!Ive been racin around the U.S. for more than 30yrs!,look its simple buy what you NEED!not what we ,or anybody else tells ya!Just my opinion, if your just bashin,go for the less expensive car with good parts availability!if your racing, go for the proven race truck!,Now if you want less" TROUBLE " go with gas,nitro is a pain in the But!my opinion.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:45 AM
ricok

At the end of the day I've decided to go for the following setup:

1. FG Marder Race RTR
2. MT Rims and Tires
3. FG Tuned Pipe
4. K&N Filter

My first option was actually to go for the MT, just for its huge size and looks, but after doing some research I've been put off by the suspension setup. The MT handling does'nt look up to scratch. Anyway, if I'm buying an RC car, it must be right out of the box. I don't wanna spend 100's to still get the suspension right. Thus, I'm going for the Marder Race RTR with the MT rims and tires to give it the nice mean look. I'm fitting the tuned pipe just for a bit of extra grunt (not that its really needed I think) and better engine sound.

Everything comes to 1140.06 EUR, including shipping to South Africa, from PK Racing.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:25 AM
No Moa

Very nice choice, i would be willing to bet you will not be disappointed.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:05 PM
FGUK
Banned

A top choice! I knew you'd get there in the end!!

Just one thing though, forget the K+N, the standard Marder filter, the new type, is better. If you've got £50 to spare when you're all done then go fo the highly recommended PitStop filter, it is much better than the K+N which will let lots of dust in...............

http://www.zyworld.com/makki/pages/FILTER_SYSEM.htm

I definitely approve of your choice of car...........

Although, mine looks like this now............

Old 01-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Acs_guitars

Good choice... you can never go wrong with a Marder!
Old 01-08-2005, 05:06 PM
ricok

Right, I seem to be moving in the right direction. FGUK, if I may ask a few questions...

1. Did you fit that Leopard body shell on a Marder or did you buy it as a Leopard?
2. The picture of the Pitstop Tuning Marder - Are you the owner of the car? If not, do have contact details of the owner?
3. Is that a FG or a Samba pipe on the Pitstop Tuning Marder? The FG pipe seems to be much more responsive?
4. I see that there's 2 kinds of MT tyres - medium and hard. Which ones work best?
5. Whats the issue with boring a little hole in each rim?
6. Does the foam inserts make any difference in handling?
7. Are the MT tires a straight fit on the Marder Race?
8. Are there anything else that you will recommend I get for the Marder Race. Anything thats really worth spending the money and making the experience more worthwhile.

Appreciate the advice.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Acs_guitars

Wow you have alot of questions... The one I know the answer to is about foam in the tires. It helps alot with the MT tires becase they are so wide. The foam keeps the rubber from compressing sideways when you are turning and also acts to keep them from compressing when landing a jump. Foams are a MUST!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.