Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

If you get a minute...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:13 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you get a minute...

I live just outside of Houston, Texas, and there are no hobby shops around here that sell FG products (I do not even know what 'FG' stands for), so I have never even seen one of these 1/6th scale vehicles in person. My decision to buy one was based solely on what I read in your threads and the videos you have posted on this site.
Although I am excited, I am worried that I will not be driving for very long due to some problem with faulty or breakable parts and I will have to sit and wait. I would like to order everything that I will need at the same time that I buy the truck (tax refund) because I may not have a lot of money for repairs and upgrades in the near future.
If you get a minute, please look over this list of ideas for hop-up/replacement parts that I will need when I buy a new FG Monster Beetle (in about a week). If you know of something that I might need in addition to or instead of these parts, please let me know. THANKS!

replace stock with K&N air filter
replace dog bone drive shafts with ball drives
spur gear cover
steel pinion gear
differential gears(are the gears plastic?!!)

Are there any alloy parts that I should get straight away?
What parts seem to break or wear out the fastest/most often?
Old 01-31-2005, 11:38 AM
amitysanimal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: If you get a minute...

icecreamslick.....first off, I beleive FG stands for Franz Groschl, the man who started the company FG.

As far as things to order with the MB, I will give you my opinion on what to get. I also have the MB and I love it. I have run rc's since 1988, and I will NEVER bother with running a nitro again.

Here is a list of a few things I have had to replace:
6065 diff ring
6064 diff case
6050 gear carrier
6052 spur gear
6053 pinion
6077 rear upright
6087 shock caps

I replaced the stock plastic pinion with the steel pinion.......
I hope to replace the stock diff case and diff ring with the aluminum case....8484...

I also have on hand in case they do break:
6100 front a-arms
6052 spur gear
6077/1 rear uprights
6072/1 lower rear arm
6050 gear carrier
6074/1 rear upper arm
6029/1 ball ends

Hopups I have added to mine:
9472 ball drives.......very nice upgrade
6471 header pipe
6280 tuned pipe
6470 manifold
6250/1 front disc brakes
6442 k&n air filter
6423 gear cover
6539 servo cover
6513 pre-filter.....helps protect the K&N from getting real dirty....

Hope this helps,

amitysanimal
Old 01-31-2005, 11:44 AM
BTXpress
My Feedback: (1)

Great thread! Thanks for starting it Icecream! Gld you included part numbers Amity. I am also looking at the MB, not sure how soon I will getting one. But this is definitely kind of info I was/am looking for...

Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2005, 11:49 AM
amitysanimal

Go for the MB, I am sure you will never regret it. I had the T-maxx before and I loved it, until I started having to mess with the carb more than I was running it. Not now, 45 minutes of non-stop running, NEVER touching the carb. PM me and I can send you to a guy who has very good prices, he is in CA. That is where I order all my parts from and I live in Maine.

amitysanimal
Old 01-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Apache-

If you are going to buy overseas (why not!) the shop of Krikke is a good choice, also for a full alloy range even coloured parts there.
Another European shop shipping world wide is Hobbythek in Germany. Both shops have a long background and years of experience in large scale. If you want advise of people who deal with these models daily in a professional way... they are in the racing scene and know all the ins and outs what to buy and more important what not, just ask them. Next those shops stock (almost) every single part or car, so here you should be able to order all in one time and quick. English is not a problem. Surely buying in the blind a car through internet is the easiest option but then I think your fun will soon be spoiled (as you stated yourself) by some unexpected stupid thing you could have known before...Anyway whatever your choice, thinking it over another night will not H.A.R.M. you.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:41 PM
amitysanimal

That is where I got my MB....Krikke.....Ron is excellent to deal with.

amitysanimal
Old 01-31-2005, 01:49 PM
Apache-

I also was always served in a proper and good way by Ron, he is a nice guy and understands your needs. Good to hear you had the same experience Amitysanimal. An MB surely is nice when you intend to go bashing hard, it is stable and great to drive, at races it is not allowed (yet) here as far as I know. Then leopard or marder race is a nice option.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:07 PM
RCholic

Excellent thread... Have to jot those #'s down!!! thanks Amity!!!

I got my Marder about 1 1/2 years ago... I traded a Tamiya Bruiser for it! Best trade I ever made!
My biggest NEED for repair has been A-arms. Improved driving has cut down on the need for those NOW...

I've bough online from FGPros[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif](state-side) and krikke [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif](overseas) and have NEVER had a problem!!!
... after making my LAST visit to the ONLY "largescale" hobbyshop locally ... A Very Smug, errogant bunch of people that acte like people are beneath them and a bother.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:33 PM
32Ford

Hey icecreamslick, i'll be coming to Houston in March to visit my folks and will probably bring one of my cars with me. I grew up in the 1960 area and my folks now live in the Woodlands. Maybe we can hook up. PM me.....K.

Jim....
Old 01-31-2005, 06:06 PM
original.mb

if u can order the new 'kp designs' mark 3 hydro-brakes for your front end go for it thats my next buy for my MB and i can't wait its the best r/c i've ever owned i've been into r/c since 83' so u can imagine what i have seen come and go. also have a good look at some tuned pipes especially the new lauterbacher one. don't forget your all important failsafe. also order 1 or 2 spare spark plugs u just don't know when u need 'em. my transmission is all metal now as well. try and buy the new alloy wheelie-bar on rc-caronline that address ain't right but u know which site i mean? let me know if u don't i will find ya' de link.