Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG or not to FG?

Old 08-04-2005, 06:49 PM
madgti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FG or not to FG?

Well try telling advance you have a problme or missing a part then you see how they treat you. They sure know how to make you look like a liar. Anyways the point is the FG MT can not fly like NITRO but are more fun when u compare the 45 minute runs on 2 dollar gas.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:49 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

I have a loaded MT-5 and two savages one loaded and one semi-loaded. To get a savage to hold together a handle and be fast you are going to spend $1000 or close to it and you still have the hassle of nitro and not to mention the everpresent $30 a gallon for fuel. I would tade my savages for FG parts any day of the week; but the FG truck will never leave. In conclusion if you see yourself having the finnancial abillity to buy the FG wait and do so. If he FG is a unnatainable dream buy the savage RTR replace the gears with steel and buy a real reciever pack and have fun. The topic boils down to this: If you can spend $2000 to get a bad-ass rc up and running go for the fg if not the savage rtr is your new truck. I have $4400 in my Truck and radio and I still have stock a-arms in the front but everything else is bullet broof.

I realize the stock truck is only $1000-1200 but once you buy the radio and the gotta haves(aluminum front bolkheads,aluminum hubs, aluminum upper a-arms, front cable brakes and an O'neill pipe) you are right around $2000 and that is only if you buy mail order. My vote is for the FG but I do not know you finnancial situation.
Chowda!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:18 PM
jeepfreak1972

ORIGINAL: madgti

Well try telling advance you have a problme or missing a part then you see how they treat you. They sure know how to make you look like a liar. Anyways the point is the FG MT can not fly like NITRO but are more fun when u compare the 45 minute runs on 2 dollar gas.
I jump mine like a nitro. I put the alloy upper and lower arms on the back, alloy gear carrier, steel pinion and the alloy diff and mine is really tuff now. Sure you break small things but they are few and far between. Learning how to drive them properly helps keep them in one piece too. I'm not saying you can't drive, I'm just saying taking time to learn how it handles and performs before you go crazy is a good idea. These thing fly different that any nitro I've owned, but after you master it the jumping is awsome. I measured my tripple jump tonight on my track. 48 ft. from the crest of the first hill to the bottom of the 3rd hill. I have cleard that w/my MB a few times and even landed a few feet farther on the flat ground. No broke parts. Before the upgrades there would have been trouble.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:40 PM
madgti

I am only comparing Stock FG to Nitros. Once you change to alloy it is a whole different ball game My opinion is that i would not run my FG as hard as i did with my old nitro.

One thing to remember FG doesn't have slipper clutch so easy on the throttle on landings.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:55 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Advance is great with me and I didn't even buy the monster from them. I bought it used from someone else. However I DID buy alot of other parts form them and what's nice is they have all the prices on a PDF file so I know exactlyhow much stuff costs and I even get a discount on the prices. Not too bad if you ask me!
Old 08-05-2005, 08:36 AM
madgti

I get discounts too on the pricing but when i bought a MT without a $2 throttle linkage they made a big deal about it. Anyways point is if you have something that needs to be covered under warranty or missing somthing then the big ugly comes out. They are a great shop to get stuff last minute because of stock.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:24 AM
strong_material
My Feedback: (1)

I have been following this thread for a couple of days now and would just like to give you my little 2cents worth. You can not simply compare a 1:6 scale to a 1:10 scale car. first of all, the scale itself shows you that the 1:6 scale cars are nearer to full scale which means that they would represent a full scale car more realistically. If you are jumping a 1:10 scale car 10ft in the air, then you are actually jumping it 100 scale ft. in the air. I believe that a car jumping 100 ft in the air will not survive without damage. In the case of 1:10 scale, they survive the jump pretty good but that is not realistic. If you jump an mt5 10ft in the air, you are actually jumping it 60 scale feet and because it is closer to full scale then the extent of probable damage if any would be closer to full scale.

i think the proper way to compare these models is through ease of use and overall performance. not by how high and how hard you can jump them. but then again, its all up to your personal preference how you want to compare them. just my 2cents worth.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:19 PM
madgti

I have a lot of fun with my FG MT but i would not launch my truck 20 feet in the air because some nitro guy is doing it besdie me or in some video. I know the MT5 will not handle large jumps at WOT especially with stock components. I sold my SAVAGE SS 4.6 because there is more fun then just flying the savage i had. I rather enjoy more fun closer to the ground and have 40 minnute runs on a couple of bucksof fuel. I just want to make it clear that not all FG or large scale are as tough as they look because i still keep hearing the same comments " you should have gone faster or jump higher etc... " 20 feet in the air of a jump is 20 feet no matter how you look at it, somthing will break on either trucks and it is a lot harder to look at a 2000 dollar truck landing the wrong way then a nitro that cost much less unless they have all the aftermarket alloy so that is why i choose to stay closer to the ground. I'm not downing nitros, I still have a good time launching my buddies nitro as high as it could go.