Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Opinions of FG Leopard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Mad Wax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions of FG Leopard?

I'm looking at replacing my FG Marder with the FG Leopard, what are people's opinion's of this Buggy?

Are there any other cars in this price range which are better/value for money?
Are there any 4WD buggies 1:5 or 1:6 scale in this price range?
Are front & rear stabiliser's included?
How does it handle to the Marder?
Does this model come with the gearwheel protector?
Suitable servo(s) for steering/failsafe/LED warning thing/RX,TX etc?

Recommendations for dealers, and best price? (seen around £760 UK)
thanks
Old 05-28-2005, 04:44 PM
original.mb

Default RE: Opinions of FG Leopard?

i like the leopard you get some tricked out parts on them if you wanna go 4wd mcd have just brought out a new mt with new proline chassis that is 4wd but expensive
Old 05-30-2005, 02:12 PM
JRexA

Since you are inside the EU, I will say that the best dealer is Hobbythek (http://www.rc-car-online.de)

You can use the same servos as for the FG Marder. I am running mine with a Hitec 645MG for throttle/brake and a pair of cheap Jamara 21kg/cm Jumbo servos for steering.

Acocrding to the FG Catalog 3, The Leopard Race does not come with the Gear wheel protector as standard.

There is no stabilizers included.

If you want the FG 4wd upgrade, then I guess that it will be a long time comming for the Leopard Race.

Since the Leopard Race is a bit longer, and also has the engine tilted slightly forward, it has more weight on the front, and a lower center of gravity than the FG Marder.
This translats to a better handling, and being less prone to make wheelies, but a friend with a Marder Race outruns me every time, as I am a BAD driver.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Mad Wax

Will the gear wheel cover fit the Leopard? (part no 6423) page 34 of the FG book. Also does the Leopard servo board allow fitting a total of four servos? (can't tell from low quality pics) 2 steering, 1 for throttle, 1 for brake? Marder has 1 for brake/throttle and I think brake could do with a pretty decent servo.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:48 AM
JRexA

The gear cover from FG fits just fine, the same does the Carson Gear cover(I have both)

I had to do a bit of modification to the Carson Gear cover, else it hit the rear upper a-arm. That isn't needed with the FG Gear cover.

The Radio Plate on the FG Lepard Race is the same as used for the FG 1/5 on-road cars. Mine has room for 2 Jumbo servos for steering and 2 small servos for throttle and brake + receiver box.

Attached a pic of my radio plate, from when I was running 1 steering servo.(a bit dark)

As for throttle/brake servos, mine locks the rear brake without problems with the Hitec 645MG

Most people running hydro brakes, uses 2 servos for braking.
1 for throttle + rear brake, another for the front brake. That setup is also common with cable brakes, but some runs front cable brakes on a single throttle/brake servo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53369.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	278562  
Old 05-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Mad Wax

thanks for the info. Is the location of the second servo not allow you to use one for throttle, other for brake? (it seems to be on the other side) Not planning on disc brakes, end up too expensive!

Also are the plastic rear axle covers included with the Leopard? See page 153 on the FG catalogue. Part number 4412.

It's looking I'll have to buy most from Hobbyteck, but leave out parts and buy elseware (Modelsport UK) as they offer receivers and more choice in servos.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:48 AM
JRexA

If you only uses the standard rear Brake, then you can only use a single servo for throttle/brake.

You might only need to 2 brake servos if you plan on mounting front brakes. There is no need for that with the standard rear brake.

But if you are afraid that you won't have enough braking power, then use the new Hitec HS-5955TG at 333oz or 24kg/cm.

btw. the HS-645MG at 133oz or 9.6kg/cm does a more than adequate job in my Leopard Race.

Here is a pic of my frontend with alu from 3 different makers, and a dual steering servo setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22312.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	279023  
Old 06-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Mad Wax

Filling in my basket now, decided on the Leopard. Need to clarify things though..

Is the front ball socket stabilizer included with the Leopard? Or is that a addon? part no 6404- page 46, is everything included in the picture to fit it?

From page 46 it looks like different stabilzers for this car. Does 7071/1 also come with two plastic pieces and worm screws?

Also are 04412, Protective bellow for dogbones included with the Hobbytech Leopard? They fit over the rear transmission axles (inner & outer)

For clear gear cover protector will I need these? 06423/01, Fastening disks f.gear wheel protect.,2p are they just soft rubber washers that fit between bolt & cover? (need a total of 4 washers?)

Does the Leopard come with the servo saver piece? (spring, T shaped piece) looks missing from FG pics.

ta
Old 06-01-2005, 10:36 PM
JRexA

ORIGINAL: Mad Wax
Is the front ball socket stabilizer included with the Leopard? Or is that a addon? part no 6404- page 46, is everything included in the picture to fit it?
There is no stabilizers of any type included with the FG Leopard Race.

From page 46 it looks like different stabilzers for this car. Does 7071/1 also come with two plastic pieces and worm screws?
If memory serves me right, then the Rear stabilizer 7071/1 comes with all needed parts
I did not order screws and plastic pieces seperately with my stabilizer.

Also are 04412, Protective bellow for dogbones included with the Hobbytech Leopard? They fit over the rear transmission axles (inner & outer)
Yes, the protective bellows comes standard on all FG cars with ball drives, including Leopard Race and Marder Race.

For clear gear cover protector will I need these? 06423/01, Fastening disks f.gear wheel protect.,2p are they just soft rubber washers that fit between bolt & cover? (need a total of 4 washers?)
The gear cover protector 6423 comes with 3 washers, there is no need to buy extras, unless you want to have spares.

Does the Leopard come with the servo saver piece? (spring, T shaped piece) looks missing from FG pics.
The Servo Saver on the FG Leopard Race is placed between the A and B carrier plates, and is included.
I am planning to upgrade to the Ball Bearing Servo Saver 04(FG# 4494)

You can download the exploded drawings of the FG Leopard here:
http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/PD...05_Leopard.pdf

Spare screws is very nice to have, also extra balls for the ball drive.([:@][&:] to find those small balls in the grass, snow or mud)

Alu Gear Carrier is also nice, and spare gearwheels.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:35 AM
Mad Wax

Thanks for the info, saves not buying pieces if they're included with the car/set! :-) Just placed a order..

Title: Leopard Race
Price: Euro 959.00
Options:
tires: glued Price: Euro 36.00 Item Number: undefined
engine: G260/4 Item Number: undefined
engine tuning: stock engine Item Number: undefined
Quantity: 10,000 ;-)

Title: Shock Sox
Price: Euro 12.50
Quantity: 1

Title: receiver switches
Price: Euro 23.00
Options:
receiver connector: Futaba/JR/MPX-universal Item Number: undefined
battery connector: Futaba/JR Item Number: undefined

Title: Hobbythek failsafe module
Price: Euro 27.90

Title: Robbe battery monitor
Price: Euro 19.95

Title: 06440, Ball stabilizer f.fron axle Leopard, set
Price: Euro 23.70

Title: 07071/01, Stabilizer 5 mm, rear, 1pce.
Price: Euro 9.40

Title: 06423, Gear wheel protect.f. 42/44/46/48 t.,set
Price: Euro 14.20

Total= £760, that's the same price from Modelsport for the Leopard ALONE! I'm getting fail safe/battery checker/switch/stabilizers ball F & R/gear protector/shock sox for the same price!