Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

How to remove paint from a body, anyone done this? How?

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

How to remove paint from a body, anyone done this? How?

Old 05-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Jared1106

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove paint from a body, anyone done this? How?

I know this has been a topic in the past, but wondering if any of you have actually removed paint from a body before?
What did you use for a solvent?
How much of a pain was it?
How long did it take?
Did it damage the body in any way?

I have heard of many things that one can use to do this, from what I hear nitro fuel works well with a bit of rubbing.
Comments from those of you who have actually done this and from those of you who have heard about this being done.
Thanks
Old 05-30-2005, 11:22 AM
daytona7

Default RE: How to remove paint from a body, anyone done this? How?

Try soaking some heavy duty paper towels or even cotton balls with nitro fuel and let set on the paint. DO NOT rub hard or you will scratch and dull the body. The same goes for removing glue from decals.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:43 AM
esutek
My Feedback: (1)

Depending on what it was painted it it can be worth the money and or hassle or not. Removing Lacq. based paints from Lexan is messy, time consuming and the results 99/100 are not worth the work. Scratching, crazing and hazing are all possiblilites.

If it was sprayed with water based paints than a 24 hour soak in a mix of warm water and a couple of drops of dish detergent works very well.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:48 PM
kiora

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a fun way to remove the paint from the majority of my MB shell, It involves crashing repeatedly on the roof and it all just falls off

See ya
Col.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:11 PM
sasquatch1976

I have with great success removed all the paint (lexan spray) from a 200mm touringcar body.

I simply put a layer of brown soap (like butter in thickness) and then applying some Wita Wrap plastic usually used for packaging/covering food.

I let it "soak" / sit for 48 hours and after that I rinsed all the soap off in the shower. Used paper towels and mild rubbing to get it off. Approx. 50% rinsed off.

Result was a paintless body. No scratches. No hard work. The body was painted in dark green + purple + silver metallic colors. Only thing visible afterwards was the sharp edge colorchange from the masking when it was painted originally I pressume.

I have no idea if this will work on large scale bodies and if the type of paint used have something to say.

Edit: Spelling
Old 05-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Lee G

Cut out the hard work, send me the dodgy painted shell and get yourself one of these

Im waiting for the exchange rate to improove a bit, then I will order one
Old 06-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Ryhton

You could check this out, it looks like it works pretty good

[link=http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31434]click here[/link]
Old 06-01-2005, 02:34 PM
ibstar

try a soap soak
but use washing powder (the type for clothes, it removes loads of stuff)
Old 06-02-2005, 12:38 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By a strange coincidence, I just finished stripping the old paint from my MB, yesterday. I originally painted it with lexan paint; silver, aqua, and white (backing). It was not too much fun taking it off. [&o]

After trying nitro fuel, I got frustrated at my slow progress and sprayed oven cleaner on the body (it was a tip I had gotten from the internet). I let it soak for 15 minutes, and then sprayed it off with a water hose. The white paint came off beautifully because it was only separating from another layer of paint...the other colors were in direct contact with the body itself, and did not want to come off. The oven cleaner actually 'burned' the body where it touched the bare lexan. Use oven cleaner at your own risk!!!

So after I had finished ruining the MB body, I went ahead and used nitro fuel and muscle-power to get the rest of the paint off, with moderate success. Finally, I used fine grit sand paper to buff out the rest of the paint and all of the scratches and burns that I had inflicted on the plastic. It looks like cr@p. [sm=sleeping.gif]

I am now painting it again, anyway...but I do not expect good results. If you are particular, I would suggest that you bite the bullet and buy a new body. I certainly will before attempting that again.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Stegy

What about this cleaner?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=DYN5506

I got beetle body from a friend, and don't know how to get the paint off. I hope this cleaner will do the job.