Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

damaged MT, need help :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 03:25 AM
Australis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damaged MT, need help :(

ok, this time im in a real bind, my electrics got wet, and a large sand stone wall jumped out in front of it.
so, ive got two screws sheared off in the plastic, and i have no idea how to get them out, they are in the front bulkheads.
also, can someone have a look at the angle of the front part of the chassis and tell me if that has been bent at too much of an angle, as
i dont know if it did get bent or it flexed back into shape.you can see on the top down picture that the side braces on the truck took a bit of the impact.any help is appreciated.
also, does anyone have a fix for the pull start not engaging, or is it in need of constant cleaning?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41175.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	283615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64774.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	283616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27245.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	283617  
Old 06-12-2005, 03:34 AM
Cyberfyn

Default RE: damaged MT, need help :(

I don't think you'll get the broken screws out mate. Best to replace the bulkheads or try drilling them out and replacing with bigger scrrews. The chassis is well bent I'm afraid, time to get the big hammer out!. Replace the bulkheads and shock tower and see if they meet up with the radio plate and servo saver mountings to check alignment.

The pull start ratchet broke on mine on the first pull, so your's might be on it's way out. The replacement didn't engage very well so I glues two small thin pieces of plastic (credit card) to the back face & it sorted it out.

Ian F.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:34 AM
Australis

the more im pulling apart the more i notice is broken, ther will be no quick fix for this im afraid
thanx for the input tho
Old 06-12-2005, 04:41 AM
Apache-

Take it apart fully to check any bended bits and give it some TLC and a shower. The chassis is bended quite a bit, it was a good frontal crash you had there.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:43 AM
Australis

apache, yeah a bit too good i think, WOT into a sandstone wall.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:09 AM
kidd

it seem we can make these monsters as durable as money will allow but bad driving will always cost more.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:17 AM
chevyman_de

Try to cut a slot into the screws using a Dremel with a cutting disk. Maybe you can remove them afterwards with a normal screwdriver. If you fail you can still get a new bulkhead, so there's nothing to loose.
Drilling them out is not possible, because
- the screws are hardened and the drill bits wouldn't bite or
- a tungsten bit would bite, but the heat created by this operation would destroy the plastic part anyway.

When it comes to machine vs. nature, nothing is indestructible.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:12 PM
daytona7

I hope you fixed the sandstone wall for jumping out in front of your car. I've had same type problems but with trees or tire barriers jumping in front of my cars. You can kiss the chassis good by. With that bend if you tried to straighten it out, it will break or cause a VERY WEEK spot for the next crash or even a hard landing on the front.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:21 PM
snooptalian
My Feedback: (7)

Man those side plates are bent so bad in so many places, I can only imagine what the main chassis looks like, not to mention all the plastic parts. Sorry to see that. I hope you can get it fixed, but it doesn't look good. Almost looks completely totalled. As though it's time to use it for parts now and start over with a new MT. Did you lose radio control over the truck or what else caused you to hit the wall WOT?
Old 06-12-2005, 04:33 PM
geniusgene

the side skirts are probably salvageable, but the chassis is scrap. I bent an alu chassis on a road car and could never get it back to straight again. TYhe car would pull left and right and never handled properly again, I had to replace the chassis.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:41 PM
aicecoldone

um have you ever heard of brakes or a fail safe
Old 06-13-2005, 12:09 AM
chevyman_de

An onroad car with a bent chassis is undriveable, an offroad car, especially with Monster tires is a different thing. Give it a try, there's not much to loose. You may hardly notice a small tweak with a car that has a tendency to lift the front axle. But as others said, once bent you will never regain its old strength.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:31 AM
Australis

anicecoldone, thanx for your constructive input, yes i have heard of the failsafes/brakes, i found the two wires coming from my power pack were broken, am not sure if that was the cause of the crash or they broke because of the crash.
chevyman, ill ry to straighten the chassis, like you say, i havent much to lose.
snooptalian, i did lose control over the car, my driving skills arent that bad as to accidently run into a sandstone wall.
it was one of two possible causes, broken wires from the battery, or wet electrics.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:14 PM
aicecoldone

sure blame it on the car
Old 06-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Australis

aicecoldone, im sure youre trying to provoke me, but as i mentioned in my first post my electrics got wet, which ultimately, and always is, my fault, i accept that, im just trying to get it back to working order again.
lets not let all of this forum turn into a FG vs MCD/New Era etc type of conversation
Old 06-13-2005, 07:30 PM
aicecoldone

i am not really trying to provoke i cant make it a fg vs mcd/new era cause i have a fg monster beetle
Old 06-14-2005, 03:13 AM
Cyberfyn

Did you have the FG receiver box fitted If so how did you get it so wet? I recently found that my battery cables were rubbing on the servo plate and had worn through the insulation. One drive away from a short and potential runaway, and no failsafe on earth will stop a car without power to it!

Ian F.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:25 AM
Australis

heres an update on where im at with the truck.
i have stripped the whole thing down, given it a good clean, cleaned the diff and clutch bell bearings, have not long finished straightening the chassis, which hasnt come up too bad i think. found two hinge pins were bent, have straightened them out also.
i have ordered two plastic up rights and the steel servo saver shaft, which, hopefully should be here by the weekend, then ill be good to go again, am also in the process of ordering lots of alloy parts, money dependant as always, and a few spare self tapping chassis screws.
am still waiting on the alloy spur carrier from http://www.pitstop-shop.nl/, for the money i paid i am thinking it shouldve been here by now, so i think ill order another one closer to home.
will post some pics soon

cyberfyn, i did have the FG receiver box fitted at the time, but,
i had moved the failsafe outside of the receiver box at the time to see if
it was the failsafe that was causing RF interference.
although a costly way to learn a lesson, i will do things differently next time.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Pigsmightfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aus, fit a throttle return spring. It's the only way to guarantee the car won't run away at full pelt when battery disconnects for whatever reason.

For what it's worth I sheared 3 bolts in the front bulkheads last weekend and bent the chassis, great fun
Old 06-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Australis

just thought id give an updates as to where im at with my truck.
have got the front end all back together, rebent the front part of the chassis down a bit, and now its all good.
but i still cant run it as as http://www.pitstop-shop.nl/ spur gear carrier hasnt shown up yet, and they arent replying to my
emails, 2 weeks today its been, and considering i paid 25US just for postage, im not happy with these guys at all.
so, i have an alloy rear end showing up at any time, and ive ordered another spur carrier, so till that arrives it wont be running.
heres a pic of where im at:

Name:	Ro41869.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	287247  
Old 06-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Australis

not one hour after i posted the last update, when the posty showed up with the rest of my spares.
have put on alloy spur carrier, alloy upper and lower rear arms, alloy motor mount, and will put on the rest later, finally, after 10 days or so i got it fired up, with the x-can on, talk about noisy , but couldnt run it for long due to it being late here.
finally got the wheels back on and all the radio gear sorted, put in a different fail safe.
just have to wait til i finish work tomorrow to give it a good run
am getting excited again, and i have more confidence that itll keep running this time

Name:	Zx71644.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	287287  
Old 06-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Automan

I'm happy to see that you got it sorted out now Australis [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=biggrin.gif] and your truck is on it's legs again willing and able for new adventures

My mt tried to knock down a tree this weekend... no, it wasn't anything wrong with the steering or electrics, just your averaged stupid pos behind the controls By an accident i just touched the throttle at the wrong moment and the car took a huge jump over a little creek and landed on the other side then boom into a tree. I was a little lucky, the speed wasn't so high, so the result was a little bent king cobra bullbar, and the lower screw that holds the front uprights was out, and due to that the camber/caster was a tad wrong
I could screw it back in and it didn't felt like the treads inside the plastic front upright felt good and hold it (i think it must have unscrewed to only 3-4mm left then chewed up those few treads that hold it, because 90% was fresh still of the treads what i felt) and i took of the bullbar and made it straight again as new, but at the bend the chrome had cracked and fallen of at a little place there, but don't care much about that, it shows it's not a shelf-queen
To finalize, i don't trust those front plastic uprights, i first thought that they would have steel treads in them or something, but found out it's only plastic all trough, thats bad fg !!! they are under allot of strain and should be better then this !! So i will get new aluminum uprights at least, and i will look over the truck for other weak points so it's fixed.

Please do take photos and vids of the new maiden run of you mt, I'm sure happy to see that you where able to fix it. btw, did you warm up the aluminum before bending it, or how did you do it ?

I have had a few minor accidents with my truck, it's darn impossible to use it and get away with a non damaged car. It just takes of like a rocket and you really need big spaces to be able to run it at all... it's wild and crazy but so fun so we just bite the bullet when the **** hit's the fan and hope to have it fixed asap, so we can go out and do it again
Old 06-21-2005, 12:10 AM
jimbo1890

Speaking of little fopars I punched mine through the back fence on the weekend. No structural damage to my toy but the fence is a little the worse for wear.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:07 AM
a_vdk

Heres what mine did on its last run Well maybe not, but I will keep trying[>:]

Name:	Zx70553.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	287701  
Old 06-21-2005, 04:15 AM
Australis

well ive had it up and running in the backyard, which is way too small for it, but i had the whole area smelling that lovely smell of 2 stroke . anyway, all went well initially, then i realised i didnt put a C clip on the outside of the spur, fixed that in about 10 minutes, and now she's up and running again, i will have to do some alterations to toe-in etc, as its all over the place. will see how things go this weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.