Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

4WD FG MT?

Old 06-17-2005, 12:14 AM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD FG MT?

Is their anyway to make the FG MT 4WD?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:32 AM
aicecoldone

Default RE: 4WD FG MT?

fg is suppose to be bring a 4wd kit for it this year sometime i have no idea when
Old 06-17-2005, 01:08 AM
MountainMotor

Do you know what something like that'll run?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:58 AM
Automan

Here is one who makes 4wd kit for the fg monster truck. Maybe a bit expensive, but is better then a belt-drive, would need a little modification to be perfect and 100% protected.

http://www.modellsportheiss.com/

I had contacted these guys a long time ago, i thought i would just get it, but they never replied so i scraped that idea.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:32 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Very interesting how they did that. I have a 3/4 of the parts from a MT, gives me a few ideas. I like how they used the whole rear end for the front. Does they price include the car or is that just a conversion kit?? I could see if it was all CNC aluminum but if it's just plastic the price is way off!! I still like the belt idea better. Chain would be noisy and would be a bit too rough for the drivetrain, plus you don't need as much clearance for it.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:48 AM
Automan

If I'm going to be totally honest i don't like the belt drive at all, and not so keen on this chain-drive either. The only way to make a good working 4wd is with drive-shafts like a normal 4wd should be. This belt and chain-drives are just a something while waiting for a real 4wd system to come out.

To he** with these toy 4wd kits thats coming out now, it's better to wait until the real thing appears with shaft-drive as it should be done.

Btw, the link i posted... it's only a conversion kit, pretty much in that kit, but it's not a whole car.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:04 AM
SELWA

You're right about the shaft drive. I think because there's so many 1/6 2WD kits and most are based on the same platform the companies will try to make a conversion kit. I'm sure FG ran into some problems because they have been saying "cooming soo" for awhile now.

But since I have all these spare plastic components/ chassis/ shocks lying around I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks for the link!!
Old 06-17-2005, 07:20 AM
Mad Wax

Damn shame these upgrade kits will be so expensive, it'll probably work out cheaper to buy a brand new FG Marder/Leopard/MT/MB 4WD version when it comes out, rather than buying a kit. Sell off the 2WD car, put that money towards new one []
Old 06-17-2005, 07:30 AM
daytona7

Automan,
Your mention of a drive shaft brought back into my cobwebbed mind one that a friend showed me a while back. Similar to they type used on the old Skellenger QC.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:11 AM
SELWA

Before you sell just change any mods you have back to the plastic ones and then you're safe!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Automan

All i can say is that i love the fact that my fg mt is 2wd, takes more technique to drive it in the terrain and are really fun. With a 4wd it's a little bit like driving a train, but just a little bit

I don't really want to change my fg mt to a 4wd anymore, had some thoughts of doing it before but now i have come to my senses If there comes out any fg 4wd big truck next year i will probably get one, or another brand to have besides my 2wd fg mt that i have now.

To all that want more traction and don't wanna get stuck with one wheel spinning only, there is several different whole diffs, and modification you can do to your diff to get better grip, just check those threads in here, it have been discussed several times.

Selwa, your welcome, and good luck with the project and don't forget to post pictures and info on work in progress and the final product [sm=thumbup.gif]

daytona7, sure it works real good, and are the only way to go for heavy off road use, and you don't have to worry about dirt getting in it.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Croozer

I like my MB being a 2WD, its a blast to drift around corners.

But if I got a 4WD it would have to have a center transer case and front/rear driveshafts and diffs.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:23 PM
daytona7

No I would not have to worry about dirt getting on the drive shaft. Only worry would be the price. I think he said it was something like $300 USD. I'll find out more from him tomorrow at a classic car show.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:42 AM
MountainMotor

Got some good ideas here guys, thanks and anymore info is still appreciated.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:49 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I remember this old freakin toy store style RC car...it had two independent driveshafts running down either side of the chassis to run the front wheels.
for a 2wd to 4wd CONVERSION, this might be the hot ticket if you're a master fabricator
Old 06-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Apache-

Just as Veron asked, I would be very interested in finding that website again on the 4WD whis was given in te now deleted thread of the Ultimate MT.
Please post it once again so I can add it to my favorites
Thanks ahead
Old 06-23-2005, 11:49 AM
AceCoolie

While I'll buy FG's conversion as soon as it's available, I'd prefer a shaft system. It seems to me that it wouldn't be too dificult to design. The hard part would be the ring / pinion gears. I think thats the reason all the solutions so far have used chains or belts.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Apache-

Well I am not sure what was displayed in the deleted post, it might have been a shaft system.
It was a covered front bulkhead but I did not have the time then to take a detailed look. It might have been a belt drive also, no clue.

Anyone that has this address to this website please post it thanks.
Or if a moderator could still get it from the deleted post... then please be so kind to put it in this thread as it surely belongs here.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:03 PM
SELWA

Belt is a lot quieter and the problem with shaft drive is that the chassis would have to be very strong or re-enforced. If the chassis has any flex it could bend the shaft or strip some gears. I think with the belt version you can still have the belt slip a bit since a full 4wd is not always needed. They may be using a one way bearing in the front too!!

I know how everyone is waiting for it and I'm sure it will be sold out before we know it!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 01:08 PM
obi_wan

What I want to know is where the hell is FG with some info?!! They could at least let us know whats going like, the belt system sucked and we are totally redesigning it or we switched to a chain drive or we are building a totally new car...come on FG let us know whats going on!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 01:19 PM
SELWA

That's right!! They show the car in the 2004 catalogue and now it summer 2005. Buy the time it's ready most of us would have converted to an alloy front end. I think the other aftermarket companies like KPD, Krikke or Elcon should make their own conversion. We know it would sell big time!!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Apache-

Personally I would also opt for the belt drive SELWA. Shaft drive is I gues more likely to break as it can not "flex" like you say. Anyway the front wheels wiil be probably spinning a lot but it will surely increase the ability of the car. However I like the 2WD still and do not really miss the 4WD (you do not know what you are missing when you never had it, lucky me)
Old 06-23-2005, 03:03 PM
JRexA

The company http://www.kamitiro.de makes a 4wd conversion kit for Marder and such...

List price € 1499,- without body, wheels, engine, exhaust and rear dif(guess from looking at the parts list)

http://www.wws-racing.de had announced a WWS Fox Pro 4wd version with a kardan drive, but I have last week received information, that due to lack of interest on the German Market, they do not plan to make any more 4wd versions.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:17 AM
iluimu81

ORIGINAL: JRexA

The company http://www.kamitiro.de makes a 4wd conversion kit for Marder and such...

List price € 1499,- without body, wheels, engine, exhaust and rear dif(guess from looking at the parts list)

http://www.wws-racing.de had announced a WWS Fox Pro 4wd version with a kardan drive, but I have last week received information, that due to lack of interest on the German Market, they do not plan to make any more 4wd versions.
Do they know that USA is still around?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:30 AM
chevyman_de

I don't think it's lack of interest, but WWS is a very small company. I think they realized that production and distribution an own 4wd is beyond their capabilities. And it is known that FG is working on an all-new 4wd, not a conversion, as well. Even though the release date is a miracle (as are technical details), when the FG hits the market there would be hardly any room for WWS's car.

Btw, the WWS 4wd was never designed to run Bigfoot tires. You wouldn't get the gearing necessary for those big meats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.