Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Battery Charger Problems?

Old 07-03-2005, 09:12 AM
NeoMB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Charger Problems?

Have any of you had any problems with the 959 charger? I plugged in to the battery pack to charge it and 10 minutes later i could smell plastic melting and see the case of the charger melting. I felt the battery pack and it was so hot you couldnt even touch it. What would cause these kind of problems. The charger is brand new, first time i have used it and same for the battery pack.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:55 AM
snooptalian
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Battery Charger Problems?

Did you have it switched for the right battery type you were charging, ie. the charger set for a Nimh pack and you were charging an Nimh pack? If the charger is set for a Nicd and you try charging a Nimh pack it will screw everything up, but if you had it all set right, then you're charger must be defective. I'd retrun both the battery and cherger to where you bought it if that's the case...
Old 07-03-2005, 04:51 PM
NeoMB

The 959 charger automatically sets itself to the right charge. The charger is fried. I plugged into the wall and it instantally started smoking. When i was charging the battery pack yesterday, when it first happended, the battery pack was extremely hot. Do you think it fried the battery pack? Do you think i am risking doing more damage if i try to use it in the FG MB. to see if it works or could i fry the servo's?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:07 PM
kirkieboy

NeoMB,

I have the 959 charger as well, and many times (especially when charging multiple packs) it has gotten very hot and smelled like the electronics were burning along with the plastic case. However, it still worked fine.

I have done this several times over and it does heat up alot sometimes, but it does the job and still works. Maybe extreme heat is just something that comes along with this model. Thats why they urge you not to leave it unattended I guess. Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:11 PM
NeoMB

Thanks for the help. But when i plug the charger in the wall there is smoke coming out of it. Do you think there is a better charger to use or buy. Plus since the batteries were very hot, do you think i should use them or get some new ones?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:21 PM
kirkieboy

You need to stop using it immediately. If it is smoking then something is fried, and where there is smoke there will be fire sooner or later. If you still have the charger in stock form (tamiya connector) then I suggest that you check on what warranty work can be done. Don't get me wrong, the 959 is a great charger for your MT/MB receiver pack, maybe you just got a faulty one.

As for the pack, what kind are you using, NIMH or NICAD? If its NIMH, how long did you leave it while it was overheating? Extreme heat can damage NIMH cells. But if it was only a few minutes or so, the pack should still be quite good. If it was for an extended period of time, then you may have degraded their capacity for holding a charge.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:28 PM
NeoMB

This is the battery pack from RCNUts

VS MODELSPORT 3300 MAH BATTERY PACK
Old 07-03-2005, 05:31 PM
kirkieboy

Hopefully, the pack is still good. I would check to see what warranty work can be done.