Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Servos - what's hot and why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 07:59 AM
rainman777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos - what's hot and why?

I know, another servo thread. I'd like to invite fans of Multiplex and Hitec to tell me why they chose what they chose. I'm about to buy servos and had ordered a Hitec 805. However, i'm not convinced of the wisdom of this. The Multiplex Rhino seems the Holy Grail of steering servos - what makes this better than Hitec's large digital offering eg HS5745? And are there downsides to these beasts of servos?

Just as an aside, what would be a good throttle/brake servo to complement the chosen one?

Please don't flame me or ask me to search - I've been lurking on ths forum for a while but have yet to figure out what is the best choice and why. Money is a factor, but I'm not into false economy. If I'm buying replacement cheap servos I may as well buy one reliable beastie instead.

I do admit, the Multiplex looks pretty! But it's hard to argue with the price/performance ratio of the 805.

Thanks for your help/opinions, and fellow Aussies are more than welcome to advise what is available locally. (Even though I'm a Pom. Shhh, don't tell anybody).
Old 07-15-2005, 08:23 AM
xxxboatworks

Default RE: Servos - what's hot and why?

I've got a 805 in my MB and have great luck with it! It provides enough torque and speed for me. I'm using it in conjunction with the hitec 645mg for throttle/brake. I have the Multiplex in my MT. Both servos work fine for me.....I'm not convinced that the Multiplex is worth the extra $$$.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:29 AM
Doohan

I use the Hitec HS 5745 digital in my Monster Truck, BUT.... I've had a couple die on me.....1 stopped after 5 mins of use.
Other users on this forum have also had problems with the Hitec 1/4 scale. Other than that, they are great for large scale.
Mine were replaced under warranty..... but I am going to switch to the Multiplex Rhino Digi 4.
Are you running digital or non digital?....what radio are you using?
Dont buy in Australia unless you have to, everything here is a rip off.
The only place with OK pricing is http://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au
Buy from eBay or try this place....they have good pricing: http://www.rcmart.com
There is always http://www.towerhobbies.com but the pricing is not always the cheapest and the delivery can be slow
I use the Hitec HS 5625 MG for throttle/rear brake and Hitec HS 5645 MG for front brakes.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:32 AM
marder22

I am convinced the multiplex is worth the money. I had three 5745 burn up in a matter of 20min to 1 hour. I have had one multiplex jumbo and have not had any problems. I live in a very hot and humid environment, so this may be one of the reasons. As a comparison, the multiplex is much better made. The output spline on my jumbo is about 1/3 larger than on the 5745. As far as strong standard size servos, i have a new jr servo coming in for my hydro brakes that has 282oz at 6v. This is digital and should make a great throttle/ brake servo.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:49 AM
jimbo1890

The Rhino is fast, strong and I haven't heard of anybody having problems with it, at least I haven't had a problem

As for the rhino being a rebadged hitec 5745 I don't think this is the case Hitec purchased multiplex so I can see how some people came to that conclusion but from what I have read the failure rate of the 5745 is frightening as compared to the rhino.

BTW the hitec 5945mg works great for throttle/front/rear brakes
Old 07-15-2005, 11:49 AM
zafiragsi

I had an 805bb in my Marder and although it never let me down it was never very accurate. It never used to centre properly. Even when it was dissconnected from the steering linkage it was still the same. I now use a 5745 digital servo in my MT and it is great. Never once had a problem, never burnt out, powerfull, accurate good value for money.

Ade
Old 07-15-2005, 02:35 PM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

i have Jumbo Multiplex in my Bergs, and 805BBs in my MTs. they both are great.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Mad Wax

So it appears the Rhino is a good steering servo, what about Multiplex throttle/brake servo?

Rhino
Torque 6.0V:205 oz/in 186 Ncm
Power 6.0V: 383 oz/in 320 Ncm

Power Speed Digi
Torque 6.0V: 106 oz/in 75 Ncm
Power 6.0V: 198 oz/in 140 Ncm
Speed 6.0V: 0.17 sec./40º

Jumbo Speed Digi
Torque 4.8/6.0v : 205 oz/in 145 Ncm
Power 4.8/6.0v :354 oz/in 250 Ncm

It looks like the Jumbo speed is better than the Power speed servo? (higher torque AND speed)

Hitec 705MG (previous servos)
Torque 4.8/6.0v : 161 / 201 oz. 11.6 / 14.5 kg.
Speed 4.8/6.0v : 0.26 / 0.20 second

Am I reading it right? hitec 705 has near identical torque to Multiplex Rhino?

hitec HS-5955TG looks good too..

Torque 4.8/6.0v : 205 oz/in 145 Ncm
Power 4.8/6.0v : 354 oz/in 250 Ncm

So confused..
Old 07-16-2005, 06:56 PM
kirkieboy

I personally use the Hitec 5745 for steering. I've set the EPA to 90% and never looked back. Most problems with servos in general are user related. Case in point, I had a Hitec 5945 for my throttle/brake. Everything was working fine until the failsafe engaged one day. It locked up 100% and fried the servo real good. If it wasn't for my error, I would still be running that 5945 now.

The Hitecs are good servos. I have never had problems with them other than what I caused myself. If you want your Hitec to last set them to 90% before you do anything. BTW, if the hitecs fry, they tend to do it immediately, not after so many minutes of driving.

Right now, I am using all Hitecs:

1 5945 for Throttle/Rear Hydros

1 5645 for Front Hydros

1 5745 for Steering
Old 07-17-2005, 11:13 AM
sasquatch1976

I completely understand the frustration/confusion element in getting servos.

I have made a reply inhere regarding my own observations in the local club + friends...

Generally as kirkieboy says: Set the endpoints for approx. 90%. This prevents the servo in reaching the dead-end of its travel. Again preventing it from meltdown. Rhino 4's melt too... believe me hehe (not my own though)

The Hitecs seems to get a lot hotter than the Multiplex, but the centering + speed of the 5735/5745 from Hitec is excellent.

Off-road seems to stress hte servos alot more than on-road driving. Also when driving on-road you usually have much more speed again causing cooling for the servos.

My advice would be to go for Multiplex for off-road and Hitec for on-road regarding 1/4 scale. As for brake/gas. I have had no trouble with the 5945MG from Hitec. I also have an ACE servo in my touringcar. This has the servocasing made from alu
and designed as cooling fins.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Mad Wax

I take it Ncm is Newtons? So the Multiplex Power Speed Digi servo 7Kg or 14Kg servo? (depending whether you look at torque/power spec) What's the difference between the two? I had a hitec 645, does this mean the Hitec is a more powerful servo?? - 645 - 9.6kg/cm
Old 07-17-2005, 12:00 PM
sasquatch1976

you are right about the Ncm being Newton centimeter....

The Power Speed Digi is.. well both 7 kg AND 14kg. Multiplex are just fair enough compared to most other brands to reveal BOTH the torque (pulling power) and the holding power.

the Digital Rhino os "only" a 18,6kg servo, but i capable of holding more than 32 kg's

The Hitec is a 9.6kg regarding torque, but regarding the holding (sometimes mentioned as stall power) is unknown to me.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Mad Wax

Ok, I'll get one Rhino for now- install it and see how it comes against my dual 705's. Lock to lock and power (could turn without any strain whilst standstill)

What's this end point? How do you set to 90%, how do you know how far the end point is, and the safe end point? I take it you measure the angle of horn lock to lock, and set the rates so there's 5% left in either lock left?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:15 PM
kirkieboy

Most modern radios have an End Point Adjustment or EPA. Its a setting that allows you to limit how far the servo can turn in both directions. If you allow the servo to extent 100% you run the risk of it overheating and burning out.

Think of it this way, you can slam the gas on your car all the way to the floor and give the engine all she's got, but eventually you'll burn up the engine, because eventhough its capable of giving out that much speed/power, it cannot handle it for too long. Thats why you don't slam the gas for too long.

The servo works the same way. It is capable of putting out 100% of its turning power, but it can't do so for too long. If you look throught the menus your radio should have an EPA setting. Some radios, like my Futaba 3PK, allow you to set the EPA for each direction (e.g. 90% Left and 85% right).

If you don't set your EPA's you'll burn these babies out regardless if they are Multiplex or Hitec.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:21 PM
kirkieboy

By the way, there are two things I do when determining the proper EPA.

1) I immediately set it to 90% so that I ensure that it is far enough from 100%.

2) On my MT, I use the alloy Travel Limiters on the Steering Block to judge when its far enough. I move the EPA's back far enough so that Limiters do not hit the rear of the Wishbones anymore. Sometimes that means that the Left is 87% and the Right is like 84%.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:26 PM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

I found prices in Frontlinehobbies to be somewhat expensive. The most competitive prices I've seen comes from Radiomodels.com.au from Perth. Sure its on the other side but the prices you'll save would be worth it - at least from my experience anyhow.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Mad Wax

ta for the info- when I get the 3PK make sure to set EPA before connecting up the servos. Steering is sorted (single or dual Rhino) but can't figure out which is a good throttle/brake servo..it still looks the jumbo speed would make a good 'un- faster and more torque than power/power speed. Only £10 more. It has double the torque and is .04 faster.

Also are the Rhino's from Rossendale Models supplied with universal connector?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:33 PM
kirkieboy

Mad Wax, try the Hitec 5945. Lots of torque for your throttle, rear brakes and front cable brakes. You can hook up all of them the the 5945 and still not use the servos full potential.

I use the 5945 for my Throttle/Hydro Brake, and a 5645 for the Front Hydro (hydro need much less torque, you can even get away with a standard high torque servo).
Old 07-18-2005, 03:50 AM
Mad Wax

I noticed the alloy pieces are included with those hitec servos- do you get both single or two arm pieces with 5945 and 5745? - I would need dual arm for throttle/brake, dual arm if I'm going single steering servo, and single arm if dual steering servo. I've seen them going for £60 (5945) and £50 (5745) is that OK?

Can you mix and match servo makes?

Rhino or 5745 - Rhino the best? (relability, torque, speed, holding power?)
5945- throttle/brake.

Are the only people who've had problems with them because of NOT setting EPA, the hitecs should be ok. I've used hitecs in the past and they seem good servos.

Why do hitec use 60 degree whilst Multiplex use 40 degrees in thier speed test? Unless you notice difference the Multiplex's look faster.

Will hitec alloy horns fit Multiplex? (take single arm off 5745 and fit to Rhino if going upgrading to dual Rhino steering)
Old 07-18-2005, 05:10 AM
sasquatch1976

Regardless of which servo you buy there is a bag full of different single, dual and disc style horns included.

The Hitec 5735 and 5745 has a dual alloy blue anodized servohorn included (nice)

The Multiplex has very thick plastic horns included, but they are metalreinforced at the splines where it is connected to the servo. Will stand up to a good beating allthough it is plastic.

Yes you can mix servo brands/makers. I would stay with digital servos though. That way you can use the HRS mode in your transmitter. They are usually stronger, uses more power, but who cares when having a 3000+ NiMH pack in the FG.

Rhino 4 or 5745 the best..... difficult to say. It's allmost like religion.. but I will take a shot:

Rhino 4 for off-road. 5745 for on-road. Because: Hitec specs for speed it given at 60 degrees whereas Multiplex is 40 degrees. = Hitec is faster when it comes to turning, and I have both and tryied both in my touringcar.

Multiplex Rhino 4 seems to run alot cooler (EPA offcause set below 100%) so ideal for off-road where the stress on the servo is alot higher.

When it comes to the mixing of servohorns the multiplex has a bigger diameter than the Hitecs (on all the servos I have seen anyway) Someone please correct if I'm wrong. [8D]

Old 07-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Mad Wax

You said the 5745 is faster, but if you do some simple calculations..

Multiplex Rhino - .10 sec for 40 degree sweep
.10 / 40= 0.0025
Hitec 5724- .15 for 60 degree sweep
.15 / 60= 0.0025

They appear to be identical

Anyone notice Rossendale site is down?
http://www.rossendalemodels.co.uk/
Old 07-18-2005, 10:15 AM
sasquatch1976

Mad Wax:

I did the same calculation, but IRL on the track the Hitec feels faster/more precise when turning.

I'm guessing that perhaps the turning of the servo is not linear in speed/operation. In any case there is not mush of a difference (if any at all. I might just seem to unintentionally prefer the Hitec in the touring car) HEHE
Old 07-18-2005, 11:08 AM
BILKO1

I've had 4 hitec 5745's die on me now i use them for steering and throttle/brake on my MT and Mamba i'm guessing my lhs got a bad batch. I use a Hitec flash 4 transmitter which allows epa adjustment up to 125% now why would Hitec put this feature on the transmitter if it kills servos??????
Old 07-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Mad Wax

BILKO1, bummer. :-(
What was your EPA setting?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:43 PM
geniusgene

I use 2 Hitec 7o5 mg's. There cheap, metal geared and 400in/oz combined.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.