Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

vented clutch bell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 10:45 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vented clutch bell?

Has anyone vented thier own?
Im thinkin about drilling out a spare clutch bell in hopes of keeping things cooler, Hope to keep gears longer..
Any thoughts???
I did change over to the Firehammer DTX gears and the seem to be ALOT better than the XTM..
Old 07-24-2005, 11:42 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: vented clutch bell?

I assume you own a xtm 1/6th scale buggy...I toast my spur/pinion every 3-4 tanks of fuel...I also run the firehammer gears and it's no different they still get ripped apart...I've never melted any so don't think heats my issue...I did notice though I have some freeplay on my pinion shaft...I'm thinking XTM miscut the length of the shaft and it may need a small washer on it...the freeplays not alot about 1/16 to 1/32" but it still allows the pinion to move back and forth on the spur and I believe it's causing my wear..I've tried contacting XTM but they got no clue they don't support the 1/6th scaler's at all.....Also as a suggestion add a firehammer air filer or a FG one to your XTM the stock air filter is crap and lets all the dirt into the engine.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:52 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about it months ago, but then, that though went away...to the back of my mind, I guess.

Hey! That's a good idea! I think I will go vent my clutch bell.

Now, I remember the thought: With less rotating mass, the clutch will be more efficient and the heated air will be able to escape the clutch bell, keeping it cooler. Sounds good enough to me. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Nobody try to stop me...it's my clutch bell! [sm=bananahead.gif] I can if I want to.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:00 AM
showa

Check around with some 1/4 scale racers ......They've had vented clutch bells around for years....along with lightened clutches and different clutch springs....
Old 07-25-2005, 01:01 AM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Switched to the FG air filter, Thanks to help on here.
I also have the same slop on my pinion, If I vent the bell what are the chances that dirt would enter the clutch?
I did this with my nitros in the past
Old 07-25-2005, 02:18 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

I believe FG sells a vented clutchbell already...no?
I've read that you can lighten the clutchbell but it can cause the piece to "explode" because of the weakening of the entire piece. My biggest problem with this idea is that i'm afraid a pebble will fly in there and destroy the clutch.
If you have an extra clutchbell you can always give it a try to find out how it works. Let us know what you find.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:13 AM
sasquatch1976

I have the FG vented clutch bell on my touringcar. Love it. I don't think that (and have never experienced this either) stuff will get into the clutch. Just think of how fast it spins. I hereby invite pebbles into my clutch. I dare you

Also if doing your own venting then I would use the FG drill pattern. Things would have to be very accurate. The last thing you want would be a wobbling clutch bell. The balance would ahve to be 100%.

As a nice bonus you get a Turbo-ish sound [8D]. At first I actually forgot I changed to the vented bell and thought something was wrong with the car.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:10 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sasquatch1976,

I guess the only question then is, does a vented clutch bell change anything other than the sound? Do you see any difference at all (i.e. engine running cooler etc.)? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 07-25-2005, 01:03 PM
sasquatch1976

The temperature on the CB is approx. 30-40 degrees C (85-100 deg. F)lower with the vented version, so I guess that the clutch is much happier inside there now. The main reason I got the vented edition is that I now has less rotating mass and feel a difference when accellerating. Besides, I'm now able to access my ajustable 4 shoe FG racing clutch from the outside. Makes ajusting a snap.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:49 AM
splcrazy

so you guys wouldnt advise me on venting my own bell for a TS engine running a 36mm piston and stuffed crank running in excess of 23,000 rpms lol , what if i had id precision machined from the sides like vertigo sells ?