Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

NEW "HPI" 1/5 SCALE

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 04:16 PM
madgti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW 1/5 SCALE

i'm sure HPI will have more inexpensive bodies once there large scale production increases
Old 09-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

It looks like an awesome design. It is a bit cramped for space on the chassis, but I guess that is how it has to go when the Function is following a form. They are going fo a nice scaled look and not just putting a shell on a huge plate chassis. One good thing is that it all loolks to be a modular design and looks like it would be relatively easy to break-down for cleaning and repairs. I really like it personaly and hope to see one at the LHS when they are released. I hope HPI does some good R&D and really get it working perfect before a rlease though. So many 1st gen RC's are notorious for problems fresh out of the gate. HPI is known for making durable offroad RC's but is also known for their weak Nitro-Star engines. Hopefully this one being a gasser will have a better RTR engine.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:35 PM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

It will probably not be out until December the earliest.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:42 PM
p113

As much as i like the car im not sure that people will leave there FGs for a while unless your fortuate enough 2 afford 2 large scales.
i reakon that at first most of the buyers will be people that have a had a hpi nitro and are fed up with it but have money they will buy that although eventually once there is anyting close to the ammount of mods available to FG pipes air filters, tires , disk brakes ect. then people might start to move towards them.

As for the lay out its very much like a nitro in many ways eg. the pull start is on the normal side for a nitro, the airfilter faces forward, the exhust comes out the back and the power comes out the left side, the tires are nitro buggy style so are the front and back shocks the body even the gearing which makes me think is it just a scaled up version of a nitro rather than a new concept.

As for the engine its the old zenoah which means your going to get less power which means less

on a more positve note it does look gud

when i post things like this people allways say ooooooo your so negative my reason is rather that get cought up in the hype i prefer to look at things for what they really are
i dont mind people saying that im looking at the matter differently becuase obvioulsly i might not right

correct me if im wrong about it being like a larger version of a nitro buggy it also reminds me of those jackrabbits slightly the way the body looks
Old 09-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Monstrous

looks like a CY engine in the pics

i'd like one but i wouldnt swap my marder for it, they are probably going to drive and handle roughly the same as the marder, the only thing that i would buy it for is the looks, but im perfectly happy with my marder, and i'd want to here a reveiew or 2 on it before i bought one.

shame about all the horible purple anodizing, silver would of looked better

Monstrous
Old 09-02-2005, 04:46 PM
p113

is it still less power though

yes me too im very happy with my marder and even if i woyuld like 1 of those i couldnt afford it
Old 09-02-2005, 04:47 PM
StefanL

I also looked at the pictures and wondered what engine it was, sure doesn´t look like a zenoah to me.

Most likely a CY or another copy engine. Might be good, might not be so good.

Maybe they´ll have it as an option later on, CY or Zenoah.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:48 PM
p113

how can u tell from that pic
Old 09-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Monstrous

there are so many clones of the zenoah that it could be anyone, i just guessed the CY because of the red cut button

could be any of the clones though, SK, CY etc. etc.

but im sure as you say, it will be nitro owners who are fed up, so they wont have a clue about what engine it is.

im not particularly excited about this, the only good thing i can take from this is that more and more people will buy them just for the name HPI, so there will be more demand for largescale events and tracks, that us faithful FG owners have been waiting for for years

Monstrous
Old 09-02-2005, 04:51 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

In rcnuts link is the picture 7th down on the right the tranny? That looks a bit weak for the power and weight of this thing. I love it but I might have to wait for second generation to see if the tranny has issues. Looks like the savage tranny which is fine but if you triple the weight and 10x the torque I am afraid something is going to give.

Just imagine if this thing takes off their next model would have to be a Monster truck (suprised it was not the first because before the savage HPI was not much) My agnostic prayers have been answered.

Answering my own question the picture in question is the servo tha Kengentry mentioned.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:56 PM
p113

yes i would be nice to have more tracks monsterous and organised racing
Old 09-02-2005, 05:01 PM
AIRSAVAGE

I think it's great. I"m new to large scale RC but I've owned 2 hpi products and liked them both.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:29 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure it is different...if it looked like the FG line, it would be labled a 'clone'. Different sounds good to me. [8D]

When you think about it, HPI is a big name in Nitro, so it is no wonder they have designed this buggy in the fashion of their other highly successful products. Nitro owners will adjust to this design quickly.

As for hop-ups, that is probably where RC manufacturers like HPI make half of their money. Dumb@$$ drivers like me want more, MORE, MORE!!! I feel sure that they have a few upgrades in mind that are already designed to fit this buggy perfectly.

Just one question, HPI...how come it is not 4WD? []
Old 09-02-2005, 05:34 PM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

You can't base that it is going to be good because of the HPI name, Traxxas is big in Nitro too but look at their 1/6 scale buggy.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Monstrous

There's nothing wrong with the traxxas buggy, just people prefer to have FG's because of they are the leader in the 1:5 market, just like people buy HPI nitros as they are one of the biggest leaders in the market

which i guess will be the same for this

people will look at all the options and see that HPI have a 1:5 buggy and think of HPI as being a big name, and not knowing about the FG heritage, so they will jump straight to the HPI buggy

Monstrous
Old 09-02-2005, 07:47 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be interesting to see if FG changes their design now. The offroad design they use still today is one they copied from yankee many, many years ago. Now this will give them something else to copy I think the HPI will be a big hit and the fact that they will be available to all the hobby shops will be a big plus! I bet the price will be really nice as well since there buying power is so strong. Think about it, It really does not cost much more to build a larger car that is designed like a 1/8th scale. The traxxas just never did so well because not too many hobby shops stock them or parts. Plus they dont look so good in my opinion. Hpi did a real nice job making this look so good. I think this will also just help HPI grow more just like what the T-Maxx did for traxxas with the exception that HPI is not a second rate MFG like Traxxas was before the T-Maxx. It would be killer if they offered the buggy as a kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would then for sure buy one!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:06 PM
jeepfreak1972

ORIGINAL: chowderhead72

In rcnuts link is the picture 7th down on the right the tranny? That looks a bit weak for the power and weight of this thing. I love it but I might have to wait for second generation to see if the tranny has issues. Looks like the savage tranny which is fine but if you triple the weight and 10x the torque I am afraid something is going to give.

Just imagine if this thing takes off their next model would have to be a Monster truck (suprised it was not the first because before the savage HPI was not much) My agnostic prayers have been answered.

Answering my own question the picture in question is the servo tha Kengentry mentioned.

That is the pic of the viscus diff not the tranny.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:10 PM
p113

quaterscalelegends haveinga alarge scale kit build would be v.gud i built a tamiya nkight hauler and that was fun
Old 09-02-2005, 08:22 PM
jeepfreak1972

As for the engine its the old zenoah which means your going to get less power which means less

First, how do you know its the old design from the pic? The old design has a round kill switch and the shroud is shaped different. This engine looks like the new style zen or clone of it with a square red kill switch just like the cy in the FG catalog. The new zens use a square yellow kill switch the cy red. Do you really think they are going to make it with 1.6 hp less than the FG, XTM or DURATRAX? That sure is the way to sell a hot new 1/5 scale buggy. Neuter it with an old 2 hp engine while everyone else has 3.6 in theirs.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:35 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I will get slammed for saying this, but........the open body concept looks cool, but it is going to load up the chassis with debris.

................dirt and sticks and stones, OH MY!

I'm still trying to keep all of the filth out of my MB.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:56 PM
p113

yeh thats a gud point icecreamslick i was just looking at it and thinking the same thing its not gonna be easy to get stuff out of there
Old 09-02-2005, 09:23 PM
madgti

it can't possibly get anymore dirt in the chassis then my FG MT. Besides that is what offroad is all about. Look dirty while playing and clean it when you get home
Old 09-02-2005, 09:28 PM
redice.co.uk
Banned

couldnt agree more
Old 09-02-2005, 09:30 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: rcnutshobbies

It will probably not be out until December the earliest.
may we all have a merry x-mas and get another toy
Old 09-03-2005, 04:41 AM
chevyman_de

Yes, that car looks nice. It has many details that should be standard since the dawn of time. Some of them may have to proof their ability to keep up with the torque of large scale engines, like the dogbones. But we're just looking at preproduction cad-images. The final versions may differ.

I just don't like the wheel adapters with the large alloy nut. Alloy on alloy is critical, anodized or not. These units like to seize, especially when there's dirt involved. Lauterbacher had the same style for several years, it gave more p.i.t.a. than FG's standard nuts. You have to apply some serious torque to make those large nuts stay and thread locking compound on those fine threads is also a no-no. You can't use a torch here because of the plastic rim. Buf if that's the only problem it will be sorted out in a hurry. If not by HPI than by another 3rd party company. I would like adapters with a Torx-Plus profile [8D] and a standard nut (M8, maybe M10). Or a hollow 12 mm axle with a M8 bolt and a large alloy washer to hold the wheel...

Too bad the car is 1/5 and not 1/6, so it does not fit into the European reglement for large scale offroaders. Nevertheless I believe this car will make a significant impact on the market.
So where's the HPI 4WD Baja Race Truck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.