Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG MT-5 Monster hop ups

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 02:44 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default FG MT-5 Monster hop ups

As a newbie to giant scale, I'm wondering what would folks regard as the top hop ups for the FG Modellsport MT-5??? (fail safe? tire inserts? tuned pipe? air filter\pre-filter? front brakes? wheelie bar? a-arms?)
Old 09-04-2005, 03:58 AM
original.mb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FG MT-5 Monster hop ups

mark

well the simple stuff is the failsafe, then you wanna think about beefing up your brake system with either cable brakes or hydros. then you wanna get upper/lower rear alloys arms 'krikkie' machine the best alloy out there, i have the lower rear krikkie alloy arm
s and they are awesome. as far as the filter goes the stock one works fine but if you off-road i would consider a pre-filter to protect it from dirt.

once you have a tougher truck threw third party upgrades think about a 'samba' or 'jetpro' aftermarket performance pipe. then really its upto you but after the performance pipe i would purchase a wheelie bar tyo stop your ride flippin'.

i would go for the steel gear conversion to beef your drive train up as well.

hope this helps
Old 09-04-2005, 04:08 AM
Mad Wax

A fail-safe isn't a "hop-up" it's a important component that should be fitted to any RC car. IMO I would look into a receiver that has a built in signal failsafe and low level battery failsafe, and perhaps built a secondary small battery pack in case of primary battery failure (no point having a very expensive car & RX failsafe if all it needs for a runaway is battery to disconnect itself or lose contacts internally.

Standard hop-ups will be a pipe and another servo for dual servo setup. After that talking alot of money if you want all alloy. Check FG catalogue to see what upgrades are available (usually front & rear A arms & bulkheads, engine mounts, servo saver, rc plate, gear carriers/assemblies, diff, diff walls.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:35 AM
original.mb

mad wax,

i would consider a failsafe a hopup as its something you buy after the kit to enhance safety
Old 09-04-2005, 05:34 AM
quantum2plus2

ORIGINAL: Veron

mad wax,

i would consider a failsafe a hopup as its something you buy after the kit to enhance safety
VERON
these cars can kill.
A failsafe it NOT a hopup

A FAILSAFE IS A REQUIREMENT THAT MUST BE FITTED TO ANY LARGE SCALE CAR/TRUCK.

Anyone that runs any gas/nitro powered car without a failsafe is stupid and is a danger to themselves and others.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:59 AM
RC Collector

I would recommend a DSM radio for large-scale models. The Spektrum DX3 is affordable at $250, has lots of features, and most importantly eliminates the need for a fail-safe (it's built in), and eliminates the problems of (a) channel conflicts and (b) interference generated by the model. These are the top reasons for a run-away.

Next on the list of safety must-haves is a throttle return spring, in case you lose power to your receiver (no failsafe works without battery power).

As far as performance-enhancing hop-ups go, I would recommend an FG tuned pipe and a FG gear cover to protect the spur and pinion. Everything else you can hop-up as it breaks.

You can spend thousands on hop-ups, ask yourself whether it really is worth it.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:18 AM
original.mb

quantum2plus

i know these cars are dangeruous i've had one for over 12 months now, thats why i recommended getting the failsafe first read my post bud

before any hopups a failsafe is a must and you don't get it with the kit you have to buy it and then install it so it must be a performance upgrade as it saves your truck from potential major damage.

i know some kits come with a failsafe but most don't so its a trip to the lhs for a failsafe and extra money so in theory it is an upgrade also better known as a HOPUP sorry to be difficult but an upgrade is an upgrade whatever you wanna call it
Old 09-04-2005, 06:35 AM
Mad Wax

"these cars can kill."

I can agree they'll most likely smash you ankle/shins- but kill?[:-] Maybe if you lie down with your head on the ground, then go full speed into your skull.

I would recommend a receiver with failsafe, because if the battery is low in a normal fail safe it won't shut the servo to full brake (well unless you buy a failsafe with energy storage and also continiously monitors receiver pack voltage/presence.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:15 AM
quantum2plus2

ORIGINAL: Mad Wax

"these cars can kill."

I can agree they'll most likely smash you ankle/shins- but kill?[:-] Maybe if you lie down with your head on the ground, then go full speed into your skull.

I would recommend a receiver with failsafe, because if the battery is low in a normal fail safe it won't shut the servo to full brake (well unless you buy a failsafe with energy storage and also continiously monitors receiver pack voltage/presence.
Mate have you seen a marder hit something living & breathing??
I had the misfortune to see a dog get killed by someones's run away marder when I was bashing with some others a few years ago.[X(]
He didn't have a failsafe either!!!
It could so easily have been a child or another person.
Better safe than sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The point I am trying to make is safety first
Old 09-04-2005, 08:47 AM
JQuest64

You can quite easily get one of these huge rigs into airspace that can easily kill someone.

30+MPH, and 3 foot jump, and you are head hunting. Common sense and proper precautions MUST be a top priority when using them.
Nice clear areas, and fail safes are a must.

While I do not consider fail safes to be a hop up, I consider them a part of the electronics install, and would never start a rig without one.

I had a runaway a couple of years back, my T-Maxx took off and headed for a very busy roadway. Fortunately it hit a bump and slammed into a curb then a fence. I can only imagine if it had run into traffic, the potential for an accident was huge.
The runaway did cause almost $400 worth of damage to my T, something that could have easily been avoided for much less.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:08 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

lot's of good info, and yes, totally agree with safety first. I have failsafes, throttle return springs, and use a Spektrum DSM system on all of my 1/10 and 1/8 scale monsters and buggies and plan to fit on my MT-5 as well. Thanks for the good info!
Old 09-04-2005, 10:02 PM
hellya

Tunepipe and a steel pinion, alloy rear upper arms
Old 09-04-2005, 10:31 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Jet-pro pipe and steel pinion FAIL SAFE!!!
Air filter protection such as the TGN Redneck or water resistant cover.
Nice to see more of us in the state
Old 09-04-2005, 10:41 PM
hellya

forgot to mention a steel differential cover and a nice beed of silicone
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81391.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	319827